⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

WTF new update for Skyrim SE!... the level of greediness of Beths breaks creativity and mod communities

maredark3d

Creators of essential mods & utilities:

"Phew... Finally fixed all that buggy crap, now we can enjoy the game..."

Bethesda:

"Nope. Here's another update."

So yesterday I tried playing and my game launched in a window. Out of the blue. So I watched Man in the High Castle instead. Today I figured I'd see what was wrong with Skyrim. I saw that Steam wanted to "update" my game. I avoided that for the moment. I updated Vortex and any mods I had enabled. I don't see an update for SKSE. I tried installing that back-up mod mentioned upthread, but I followed the directions and it's not making a backup. So my question is, am I good to let Steam do the update? Or are we waiting for an updated SKSE? Anyone know?

So yesterday I tried playing and my game launched in a window. Out of the blue. So I watched Man in the High Castle instead. Today I figured I'd see what was wrong with Skyrim. I saw that Steam wanted to "update" my game. I avoided that for the moment. I updated Vortex and any mods I had enabled. I don't see an update for SKSE. I tried installing that back-up mod mentioned upthread, but I followed the directions and it's not making a backup. So my question is, am I good to let Steam do the update? Or are we waiting for an updated SKSE? Anyone know?

SKSE has, afaik, been updated. https://skse.silverlock.org/

However several mods that are SKSE **version dependent** have not been yet. (Most have)

check the LL conversions tracking thread (google underlined words + "skyrim special edition") to see if any of your installed mods still need updating before you commit. You can thenn choose whether to update, not to update, disable any installed mods that don't meet muster, or hold until the mods are all updated

For me, unless HDT is updated or replaced with something that doesn't become a game-breaking, time-consuming aggravation to resolve, I'm staying right where I am.

WTH is happening!!!!!??????? AHHHHH!

Over 300+ hrs poured into SKYRIM! I have gigs of saved files, all are now corrupted and useless!I went through each town, and did all the side quests, along with main quests, and I took so long to edit character, every--you know what, it doesn't matter. This shitstorm between SKSE and BETHESDA needs to flipping end already. Bethesda can suck a turd!

With the current Skyrim/SKSE updates only about a week old, there are mods that haven't been updated yet. Check the special edition conversions tracking thread at LL to see if those mods are a) SKSE dependent and b) if they've been updated yet.

For instance, ECE has an update that's apparently associated with a specific SKSE version (since it shows up on the conversion list). Not sure if you installed the updated ECE though. Same for the Complete Alchemy and ENB Helper mods.

So at least for those three, it *should *theoretically) be as easy as updating the three mods.

The waltz one and whatever that other entry is...idk

BTW, it's Steam that's force-pushing updates without the express pre-approval of its customers (should be opt-in, not opt-out, and surely not opting out by disabling your internet or locking yourself out of Steam online). so I'd recommend to everyone that you're ire be directed towards them. It might be a bit more effective in the long run.

Sorry to hear, Emrys. I totally sympathize. I was in a similar situation last year. I uninstalled and deleted everything in a rage. only picked Skyrim up a few months ago for a second time. At least I got the windowed session fixed finally. And if it happens again, maybe I'll just put it aside for awhile. I will say that I'm pretty damned disgusted with this business model. Leave my damned machine alone.

The Steam application tried to update on me last night, but I put it off. If that's what broke you, I hope it doesn't force the update on me today. I'll try starting the game with the net unplugged, but it may just install a pre-downloaded update regardless..

It was a Steam application (ie steam not something else) update. I've found it's safe to allow Steam to update itself IFF it's in offline mode, just make sure you monitor it while doing so and make sure to put it in offline mode after the update

(ran into the very same thing last night and only discovered it wanted to update when I alt-tabbed back to windows to do something.)