The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

Hello, lurker of sorts here, I guess I’ll pitch in some of my ideas and opinions alongside so many of the others here… Don’t tear me apart too much, please xD

To start, I disagree with some of Nexus’ decisions, but I use and enjoy the site anyways. It has given me dozens of hours of content, and half the fun for me is just browsing. I am grateful for that and have no problem with them setting of limits and such in order to be sustainable. Expecting unlimited loading speeds for the quantity of users is ridiculous, and I see the 2mb/s downloads as a extra incentive to turn off adblock in addition to just general appreciation. The people realizing NOW that there are limits should realize if they haven’t noticed it until now, it can’t be that bad, besides the fact that that is not really the current issue up for discussion

However, the new download page is annoying and kinda sketchy. Yes, it’s only annoying and kinda sketching, but that doesn’t stop it from discouraging users from using the site, when’s it’s purpose is mainly to increase Premium members, which in turn is meant to support Nexus.

There is nothing wrong with promoting the Premium service, but it could do with cutting some steps, and, as suggested in the thread, avoid deterring new users. The current implementation could remain for example, but altered to be somewhat more user friendly. Personally, it be nice if we could avoid the redirect (or have it open as a new tab instead automatically?), and even better to combine the timer with an automatic selection of the slow download. Or have the reminder pop up for every X downloads and/or only on larger files. It could be better marketed as “Look at what you’re missing out on!” instead of the current form.

Just some ideas

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we've learned that...

1. People can afford to pay for an internet connection on a monthly basis

2. People can afford to pay for all of the $60 - $70 dollar games they want to mod

3. Those same People somehow cannot afford to pay $2 to stop seeing ads FOREVER, or cannot afford a premium membership, or cannot afford a one-time lifetime fee of $75, but want to dictate how the site they're using for free should accommodate them for free.

Complete definition of Entitlement right there.

Just gonna pop in here to say that... none of those three things you've learned are necessarily true. I've been there.

Having access to internet doesn't mean you can afford to pay for internet. It just means you've found a signal from a generous/oblivious neighbor, perhaps.

Playing an expensive game doesn't mean you've paid for it. Any number of totally reasonable circumstances can cause that to be the case. It doesn't make you criminal scum.

As for your final point - just take myself for example. I have the funds to pay for lifetime premium, no problem. But I can't, not easily. Without going into detail, I can't pay for things online due to ongoing issues with identity theft. I'm workin' on it, someday this won't be a problem for me and i'll likely pay for the premium then. I'm sure there's a whole rainbow of reasons why people can't pay for the Premium. But it must be comforting to just lump everyone into a goofy little box.

Even if I didn't have anything stopping me from paying for premium, I don't think I could bring myself to in good conscience. The implementation of this nag-screen just seems incredibly scummy. It's extremely user un-friendly. I can't imagine it being helpful to the nexus at all. I'd love to see statistics - do they start actually making more money thanks to the new screen? It's the exact same feeling I get when a youtuber i've liked for a long time suddenly starts plastering a huge SUBSCRIBE animation in the middle of their videos. Maybe it works overall - but for myself in particular, it's a huge turn-off.

Honestly? Nexus provides a free service and I can handle a 5 second wait each time. As soon as I can I plan on buying a lifelong premium... I just wish they had regional pricing there. 50 pounds is insane, like a 100cdn, I can't just do that on a whim.

Edited by DarkDragon4x4

There's no need to keep reminding us that certain features like uncapped downloads are being locked behind a paywall. And there's no need to keep harassing and begging for donations and memberships. Let us use the site and download files in peace. Not everyone wants to pay for features that SHOULD be free.

Funny that it's the non-paying people who complain the loudest and make the most demands.

Funny how you're wrong about that. I for one don't want to be bullied to get premium any time my premium expires and I am having a month I might not be able to afford the expense. As a supporter, I shouldn't have to choose between "Slow" and "Premium" literally EVERY TIME I go to download a file. I am a frequent Premium subscriber but NOT a perpetual one as some months for me are tighter than others. But I always do what I can to be supportive of the Nexus. I turn off ad blocker, I often defend it on other websites from detractors. But THIS newest step has gone too far, as far as I'm concerned.

Two thoughts:

1. The 5-second-timer is gone. If they want to throw us a bone, I'd rather have the timer back and instead be spared having to click through and reload a download page just to get past the premium ad.

2. If the premium ad is here to stay, it's extremely tacky that non-premium mod authors see the thing. Up the requirements if you must, make it 10k unique downloads or 20k, but don't taunt the very people who give this site its purpose. I myself wouldn't reach that new number of unique downloads, but at least I'd know there was a line.

In relation to my previous post, let's all remember the title of this thread being "The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!".

It's a great point especially for mod authors asking for donations. Silence can literally be gold in some cases.

It’s amazing how many suddenly wanted to get premium but now no longer. Maybe if these people would go for premium earlier the step would not necessary? (But I agree 5-7 day remember for premium is enough)

Its to bad you cannot live only from love and air. (And no, I’m not rich. I saved several months for premium, never regrets this step. I’m honest i think a lot of people just can’t handle money anymore)

Is there a way to donate directly to the site to support its operation?

You can always donate directly to mod authors and cut out the middlemen.

Nexus Mods is an online mod hosting service, not an online mod vendor. As such, it is not a middleman. Donating to mod authors is worthy and commendable. However, those donations do nothing to help Nexus Mods pay its bills and keep the lights on. I want to help Nexus Mods keep the lights on.