The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

Significant amount of energy spent in this thread. Wowee. A few things come to mind when I think of this dilemma. I was thinking of posting something longer and perhaps rational, but I find that I dont even care enough any more to bother. This scene has gone down the drain.

I'll say this. I don't think I like the idea of this subject being turned into another "inclusiveness" debate/argument. Getting tired of that angle. But make no mistake, Nexus is a commercial operation. It's not a charity. It's not going to get any better for the free users, pretty much ever.

Indeed. And some are getting too heated, and need to take a break from this thread. repeating the same things over and over diminishes your stand.

A thread that I might add, was not started with the best of intentions, and started out right off the bat, in a bad tone.

I only want to say this, and I say it in neutrality. I'm not picking a side, even tho I don't have a banner that designates me as part of one group, and shows me to be a part of another.

I don't say this to rile anybody up, or show any kind of hostility or bias. Repeatedly, it is pointed out that the premium, subscriber, and supporter members are vastly outnumbered by the free users. But yet, some of those premium users display a superiority complex, and in some of their posts, almost sound as if they are referring to the free users as peasants.

Now, I say "sound as if". I'm not saying that it's their intent to mean it that way, I'm sure that's not their intent. But that's the way it sounds.

Now, by the very statistics that the premium users are posting, they themselves literally point out, that the Nexus lives, breathes, and is what it is, because of the free users.

But, there is also the fact, that nexus still exists, because of the Paid users.

You folks need to stop and realize that this is a symbiotic relationship. Neither is going to continue to exist without the other.

Period.

Edited by StormWolf01

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@StormWolf01

You folks need to stop and realize that this is a symbiotic relationship. Neither is going to continue to exist without the other.

Period.

I agree with you. Nexus Mods needs both its paying users and its non-paying users. But does it need non-paying users who use ad blockers, since they contribute nothing to the maintenance of this site? (By "non paying users" I mean users who pay nothing and upload no mods.)

Period.

Agreed. I'm not too sure anyone is saying otherwise though.

@fireundubh

Welcome, Free User!

Search Query> civilization:Earth AND species:Human AND donuts

Your donut story is the most refreshing post that I've seen in this otherwise dismal thread.

:thumbsup: :laugh:

I can't afford Internet either, as I have no money. Why do I have Internet? Because my dad pays for it and I live with him.

I’m sorry that is harsh (I know your situation, i was there too)

Continue would imply that I can use it as I have in the past.

There is a new download redirect. I dislike this.

Its okay but you must understand that something must change. So that people who cannot pay for premium still can use the Nexus.

I started recently modding in sims 4. All mods are scattered al over the internet (Patreon, Blogs) I am so glad that the nexus exists. (And no, Bethasda.net is not an alternative if you want to play your game in your language)

You must not be familiar with ModTheSims. A site that has been around since the TS2 days and remains free to this day for all users. Personally I get all of my Sims mods from there if possible, because they have proven themselves dedicated to the community after so many years. When I got back into Sims recently, I was disappointed at the mod selection available here, to be honest.

You must not be familiar with ModTheSims. A site that has been around since the TS2 days and remains free to this day for all users. Personally I get all of my Sims mods from there if possible, because they have proven themselves dedicated to the community after so many years. When I got back into Sims recently, I was disappointed at the mod selection available here, to be honest.

I've never played any of the Sims games, but decided to shoot by the site to see what you mean. Looks like a pleasant community. I noticed that an administrator posted a thread on the front page about one of the modders there passing away. It was very touching that they took the time to bring that news to the community so that everyone could offer their condolences. I'm all for that in any community, gaming or otherwise. I'm sure there are examples of such behavior here as well, if you look hard enough.

The comparison of these two sites is, at best, apples to oranges. Sure, they're both fruit, but taste, contents, texture, and color are very different. Plus one has more vitamin C. Comparing similar business models and saying: "Hey, this works for them, why can't it work for you?" is another form of a red food source... this one coming from the sea and isn't a fruit - and some would debate with me over whether one should consider it a food source... but, that's another debate. Either that, or it's simply a result of being ignorant of why different business models exist.

To take that standpoint - comparing one business model to another, even if they are of the same nature - is to disregard the nuances of the individual circumstances each business finds themselves dealing with. It's not an argument that holds much merit. They are run by different people who are dealing with different financial pressures based upon a plethora of individual circumstances that can't be measured by anyone other than those in the trenches.

I know modthesims but it’s not my taste and the better mods(for my) are mostly not there (or were removed for the own site/patreon) I never play sims 2 maybe times were different there. I never use the mod section here for sims. (Nexus its for me only for Bethesda games. I admit that)

However, you must admit that the structures of these two websites are completely different and not comparable.

Period.

Agreed. I'm not too sure anyone is saying otherwise though.

Appreciated :smile:

Nah, I don't think that anybody has either. Yet.

I was just trying to drive in the nail, that as much as we don't like freeloaders, leeches, and roaches... that we have to take the bad along with the good. And not to lump them all in together.

Because when it comes down to it, I have not yet once seen anybody say "Hey, it's a good thing that we have so many nonpaying members here on the site, because it helps the site grow."

I haven't seen anybody recognize that fact that the nonpaying members have any kind of merit.

I HAVE seen a lot of judgement and accusations against us tho.

And I've seen a bunch of "Oh you don't pay anything, so take what you get, and be happy about it, you haven't bought your right to complain."

Edited by StormWolf01

I have been using this site for a long time, as a nonpaying member. Nothing wrong with that. However, I decided to become a premium user simply because, this site has a lot to offer. IMO, that makes it worth the price of membership.

Nexusmods is worth the investment.