Looks like Patch 1.8 is out

ginnyfizz

ok, loaed skyrim.esm and the update.esm, my kit didn't crash.

i did get an error that said the exe couldn't load update version, but gave me the option to click "yes to all" and it continued loading and didn't crash.

But if you go to file then data again after it finish loading... you will notice that the update.esm is not checked, so you won't be able to do too much with any mods.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things I wonder about.

1) Is there a setting in any of the INI files that can be tweaked to prevent Steam updates (to the CK at least);

2) If something "isn't recommended for modders", then how the heck are *we* supposed to be sure that we have the same quality of gameplay as everyone else, AND THAT our mods are compatible with everything;

and 3) How many of us would have to scream at Bethesda, and how loudly would we have to scream, and in what venue would we have to scream, to convince them to sever connections with Steam/Valve, or at least to never, ever make one of the Elder Scrolls series be associated with Steam again, ever, till the world ends?

@Allannaa

1) There is no INI tweak I know of that dose that.

2) I don't think Bethesda really cares about moders anymore, if they did Skyrim would have made for the PC and ported to the XBox, not the other way around.

3) All future games that will ever be made by Bethesda or any large game company will need Steam simple as that. Steam is the future of gaming and there is nothing you or anyone can do to stop it. Because idiots think that it somehow magically stops pirates and makes them buy the game. *sigh*

Not to sound like an A but thats the way things are, I would love to be proven wrong tho.

So...why is Steam updating my game despite it being set not to update?

Yea its Updating my Game aswell, with 4gb again, i think its the HD DLC Pack again, now im gonna be 3 days without Skyrim. :facepalm:

Ah, wonderful #$@%! Steam. I've seen a rare post here and there claiming that the "don't update my game, dammit!" setting actually prevents steam updates but, yeah, they're incredibly rare and, quite frankly, I don't believe them. Steam updates your game no matter what. Always has - FO3, FONV and Skyrim. I've tried starting a dialogue with Steam support about that but they basically told me to pound salt. Something about it being their mandate to update all games to provide the best service to their customers. The obvious question of why that setting's even available went unanswered. The alternative is, as me3ntioned by Georgiegril, to play in offline mode.

Search for a mod called "Skyrim Unplugged". It's a little program that's designed to prevent the auto-update thing. It's been a while since I checked the thread but, even with that mod, some peeps were still having problems in that a steam update would instead delete the TESV.exe file. Which actually was no big deal as long as you had a backup of that file - you could just copy/paste your backup into the game folder and you were good to go. I have that mod active at the mo, but haven't tried playing skyrim since the 1.8 patch so can't comment on its effectiveness. (I know the mod author was working to get around that bug I mentioned, and I have a backup of the 1.7 exe at the ready anyways.)

Had that swinging animation problem too, some how fixed it with FNIS 3.3 (I think it was in the optional section) and making sure Gender specific animations were not being used when running the generate tool

Have not tried a mounted animations yet so I can't vouch for that

all I can say is give that a try and use PCEA for your gender specific patch although you will need to do some tweaking to the esp so that one gender per race uses the PCEA animation path instead

Had that swinging animation problem too, some how fixed it with FNIS 3.3 (I think it was in the optional section) and making sure Gender specific animations were not being used when running the generate tool

Have not tried a mounted animations yet so I can't vouch for that

all I can say is give that a try and use PCEA for your gender specific patch although you will need to do some tweaking to the esp so that one gender per race uses the PCEA animation path instead

Ahh, much appreciated. Totally forgot about FNIS since I never use it, but I see the odd behavior is mentioned right there in the FAQ.

2) I don't think Bethesda really cares about moders anymore, if they did Skyrim would have made for the PC and ported to the XBox, not the other way around.

Bethesda might not always make the decision that best-suits the needs of modders, but I don't understand why people think they don't care about modders. They're a businesses; what best serves their financial needs and obligations has to come first. But if Bethesda actually didn't care about modders then they wouldn't be letting us mess around with their game files and the attendant DLC that has come with it.

Well, I was getting crashes with SKSE Beta, so I got their latest update. Still got a CTD at the loading screen. Decided to uninstall all my mods and run without SKSE. Now Skyrim won't even make it to the main menu. Verified integrity of Game Cache. Still crashes. Good job Bethesda.

3) All future games that will ever be made by Bethesda or any large game company will need Steam simple as that. Steam is the future of gaming and there is nothing you or anyone can do to stop it. Because idiots think that it somehow magically stops pirates and makes them buy the game. *sigh*

Not to sound like an A but thats the way things are, I would love to be proven wrong tho.

Bethesda wants to make money, and Xbox 360 is their largest platform by far. So of course that's the primary platform. But Skyrim did a lot better on PC than Oblivion. Which shows in their support for the title post-launch with patch support, highres texture pack, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop.

Regarding why they choose Steam, you are wrong. They choose it because Steams sells PC games, not because "idiots think that it somehow magically stops pirates". Bethesda don't have their own digital distribution yet, as Blizzard and EA. So being on Steam is natural. Having a non-Steam version too would cost more money and create more work, as they then would have to support and patch two different builds of the game.

-----

Anyway, still running fine with 1.8 here. A few more mods I use got updated. For people with a lot of complex mods, it's probably best to keep a backup of the game so you can run with the old version until mods get updated to support the new one.

Edited by MrBuio