Last Update killed creation kit! HELP!

AlphaWoIF

Yes it is a bit of a joke to be honest. My massive mod is already behind schedule and lets hope this is fixed soon.

I rely on update.esm to ensure my mod has all the updated changes edited correctly. It also deters pirates from using my mod because most of them wont have an updated skyrim.

Edited by sydney666

For future reference:

1. Go to Steam

2. Go to your Game Library.

3. Right click the game and go to properties.

4. Go to Updates

5. Select "Do Not Update Automatically"

Second, unless you have a very good reason for it, don't make your mod dependent on update.esm

First, the above fix will not work. Steam will still update anything you have, as soon as you try to use/play Skyrim or the CK. It thinks "Don't update automatically" just means "Wait till I'm online." But you can check here, for SkyrimUnplugged, which generally does stop updates.

Second, there is one very good reason for making a mod dependant on Update.esm -- It generally ensures that the person using your mod doesn't have a pirated copy of Skyrim.

For future reference:1. Go to Steam2. Go to your Game Library.3. Right click the game and go to properties.4. Go to Updates5. Select "Do Not Update Automatically"Second, unless you have a very good reason for it, don't make your mod dependent on update.esm
First, the above fix will not work. Steam will still update anything you have, as soon as you try to use/play Skyrim or the CK. It thinks "Don't update automatically" just means "Wait till I'm online." But you can check here, for SkyrimUnplugged, which generally does stop updates.Second, there is one very good reason for making a mod dependant on Update.esm -- It generally ensures that the person using your mod doesn't have a pirated copy of Skyrim.

I wasn't using the Update as a master.. just the main file.. and things are still all screwed up for me atm..

I wonder if there's a line in the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini or the SkyrimEditor.ini that you could change, to STOP Steam updates. There probably is and I'm not familiar enough with those two INI files to mess with them.

I wasn't using the Update as a master.. just the main file.. and things are still all screwed up for me atm..

Right, but CK is still looking for that Update.esm, whether you used it or not. You can go into your Steam > ... etc ... Data folder and look for Update.BSA and Update.ESM. When you find them, right-click to bring up a popper, and on that, select Restore Previous Version.

You have to do that for both BSA and ESM, and I personally would save a copy of each one first. (You can do that in the same popper.)

That's only a temporary fix, though, and as soon as you go online with SteamyPileofHorribleness, it will force an update anyway. That's why I'm wondering if there's something that can be changed in the INI files I mentioned.

First, the above fix will not work. Steam will still update anything you have, as soon as you try to use/play Skyrim or the CK. It thinks "Don't update automatically" just means "Wait till I'm online." But you can check here, for SkyrimUnplugged, which generally does stop updates.

Ah - it cut off my line where it said "and go into offline mode" (curse you, late night typing) but this is an interesting find, thanks.

Anyway, moot point, my skyrim was updated even with offline mode. Or it didn't stick. Guess I'll just have to play the game for a bit.

Second, there is one very good reason for making a mod dependant on Update.esm -- It generally ensures that the person using your mod doesn't have a pirated copy of Skyrim.

That's just nonsense. I'm as much against piracy against anyone here - actually, that may not be true, I'm fairly indifferent to it - but the latest update is all over torrent sites everywhere and has been since the day it has been released. I'm not condoning piracy, I'm stating a fact.

Edited by acidzebra

@ acidzebra

It isn't nonesense. There are a tonne of people I have caught out with pirated versions because their games crashed at startup with my mod. They could not run my mod correctly because they pirated the game but never bothered to patch it. Pirates usually don't care much for updates and so forth from my personal experience - most of the time they just want a game to play for free, download once and forget about it. To me it seems they aren't the types that want to play the game long term, mod it and of course keep it updated. Usually they are also the ones with the least experience when it comes to understanding how modding works, what updates were released and generally not community orientated gamers. They will be your handful of posts type of people, who come on the forums asking for cracks or why X mod crashes their game.

Thats totally my experience, but I don't think its nonesense.

Edited by sydney666

I have been busy at work and low on energy and low on enthusiasm. Now I finally get some time and energy this weekend to work on my mod and the CK is broken because of the Skyrim update. It looks like it might be impossible for me to do the work. I can't just remove Update.esm as a master and restructure the mod that way because the mod uses Dawnguard.esm as a master and that DLC uses Update.esm as a master.

It kind of looks like I am dead in the water and will have to wait for the CK to be updated. (Which may never happen. Has anyone heard when they are planning to update the Oblivion CS? The Shivering Isles update broke the voiced dialog part of it and I am still awaiting the CS update.)

Edited by David Brasher

MY CK is also borked.

I am so annoyed at how often this happens to various members of my family over many different games am tempted to UNsteam all our Steam games and just get the updates elseware all seem to be available within 24h with a google search. The big plus about this would be get just the updates you want and install them when you want preferably after creating a system restore point. Then duff patches like this could be cleaned away as if they never existed.

Just how mad is it that you have to consider Piratiseing a Legally purchased game just to be able to keep it working as you want.

@ sydney666 I must say assuming that all people without the latest patch are pirates is just a tad off the mark. It is only the people that were stupid enough me included, to get this latest patch are not able to mod at this time. I just wish I was one of your pirates then at least I would still be able to do my thing with the CK.

I have been trying out something radical. I used Wrye Bash and Windows Explorer to build myself a new .esm named Update.esm. It is totally empty and contains no edits. With it in my load order, I was able to open up a mod that required Update.esm in the CK just fine.

I play-tested Skyrim to see what would happen and it loaded and started just fine, and it did not CTD. But it turns out that Update.esm is important. I couldn't use any magic, and Serena wouldn't wear her hood out in the bright sunlight. (I am sure there are other things too if a person looked.)

Maybe I could keep two copies of Update.esm -- a real one and a fake one. I could rename them depending on whether I am modding or play-testing. Use the fake one when modding and the real one when playing. I imagine in these circumstances that it is quite destructive to save an .esp that is dependent on Update.esm if it actually edits that master, but I suspect that most mods which use it as a master don't really edit it.