New Download Changes

solomonoftm

Guest deleted34304850

that sounds like a pig of an "improvement".

I guess I've been lucky. Most of the mods I download take me to the splash screen. I select slow download and away I go. I can imagine if you're downloading multiple files then that truly is no fun.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wait 5-seconds for each file you want to download, regardless of their size or whether they are part of the same mod, or not.

You get a nag screen that is a copy of the awful fire sharing sites like Rapidshare or Mediafire.

Once you select the Slow Download, you are taken to the old download page, where you have to wait a bit longer until the download actually begins.

Then finally, to add insult to the injury, clicking to go back to the Files page of the mod you were on refreshed the page instead of bringing you the cached copy, meaning that on mods that have loads of files, you have to start from the top again. This isn't much of a problem if you're just downloading a single file, but some mods have a dozen or two dozens files thanks to compatibility or customization reasons.

I would suggest it might be a lot easier to right click --> open in new tab each individual file you need from the files page. That way, you would not be reloading the Files page, you'd only need to go back to the appropriate browser tab.

Also, you might try some ice for that injury - index finger, is it?

You wait 5-seconds for each file you want to download, regardless of their size or whether they are part of the same mod, or not.

You get a nag screen that is a copy of the awful fire sharing sites like Rapidshare or Mediafire.

Once you select the Slow Download, you are taken to the old download page, where you have to wait a bit longer until the download actually begins.

Then finally, to add insult to the injury, clicking to go back to the Files page of the mod you were on refreshed the page instead of bringing you the cached copy, meaning that on mods that have loads of files, you have to start from the top again. This isn't much of a problem if you're just downloading a single file, but some mods have a dozen or two dozens files thanks to compatibility or customization reasons.

I would suggest it might be a lot easier to right click --> open in new tab each individual file you need from the files page. That way, you would not be reloading the Files page, you'd only need to go back to the appropriate browser tab.

Also, you might try some ice for that injury - index finger, is it?

LOL I was actually just about to post the exact same recommendation. This is getting strange...is one of us a long lost clone of the other, Pasquale? ;D

I'm hoping that it's something that the dev team gets taken care of pretty quick. Because yeah, that's just even more traffic putting a load on the servers. Either with that extra tab open, or by refreshing the files list.

I doubt complaining will do much, unless the Nexus decides to change their approach in advertising the premium service out of their own volition, then the only thing that will change their minds is a noticeable drop in user activity which might later on affect the site. But that would take months to actualize, and as long as it's not too drastic people will adapt to it and it'll become the new normal.

Until then, I guess the "File download method" option should be moved from Global Preferences to Premium Preferences.

not if we complain enough

Or....this is crazy, you could give something back to the community you've been a part of for fourteen years.

Complaining isn't contributing, and doing too much of it has gotten other people a warning or a ban, and now they have NO access.

Either way, after 14 years of getting everything for free, having to deal with a 5 second wait and look at a screen is very little to ask for the amount of time, forums, and mods you've had access to for free all this time.

Either way, after 14 years of getting everything for free, having to deal with a 5 second wait and look at a screen is very little to ask for the amount of time, forums, and mods you've had access to for free all this time.

You keep saying "for free" but the site has ads. You may not like it, but the truth is that in a way or another the users are "giving" some money, even if it's a really small amount. Of course some use adblock, but then instead of using this awful new system why not use one of those "ad-blocker blockers" ? The ads in the site are not invasive at all, it would be better to just do that, most people would prefer to just disable the adblocker instead of going through all the hassle of bypassing it, it would probably be better to do that since a lot of people, me included, can't really afford the monthly price for a subscription (reason being i live in a s*** country where a dollar costs a lot).

In short, my suggestion is to block the downloads if people are using adblock, this would probably help a lot.

Anyway, the thing is there are better alternatives for the Nexus team to do, without affecting the user experience too much.

Instead of complaining about someone who is complaining, why not offer a new suggestion ?

Edited by Guest