1.8 bugs & changes

slainia

So basically, when beth released 1.8 they didn't give a lot of change info. i'm posting this as a sort of...list - or potential list - that I'll update as I find things, or as people report them. There may be other lists on the main forums etc, but I figured this might help people figure out the cause of bugs.

What I'll do - as i figure out a work around, OR mod that is conflicting and causing the bug, I'll add it here. Also, if I'm using a mod that may be related to a bug, I'll note that too.

Two rules. My thread, my rules. (so the theory goes. I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but whatever.)

1.) this is simply meant to help people find common causes with bugs, since some of them may be vague

2.) I don't want this to turn into a complain fest. I have my own opinions on Bethesda, and so does everyone else. There are other threads for that.

So far for myself the list is as follows:

NOTE: Creation Kit is working, but if you have hearthfire/dawnguard it's likely you'll need a workaround to get it loading. However, some people are experiencing string errors. (I was until I added two lines to my editor ini file telling it to use hearthfire & dawnguard, and allow for multiple masters, but I've heard of much more experienced modders having issues too.)

Currently I do not have Hearthfire installed on my game drive,however - locate (in the Skyrim Folder);

SkyrimEditor.ini

at the bottom of the section headed [General] add the following line;

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

at the bottom of the section headed [Archive] make sure the last line reads as follows;

SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa , HearthFires.bsa

If that still does not work for you then I do not know what to suggest.

****This is the thread I got that reply from. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/798975-hearthfire-creation-kit-problem-already/ ****

For the Creation Kit problems (surprise, surprise, they didn't release the update today like some people were over optimistically predicting,) there are two ways of getting around it if you need to work on a mod;-

1) Restore a backup of the 1.7 Update.esm and bsa if you have it

2) If you don't, use TES5Edit to change the version number in the header of the Update.esm from 1.70 to 0.94

Character bugs:

1.) my stamina refuses to regenerate sometimes, much more frequently than pre-1.8 Not a vampire, no diseases, no quest effects that would cause it. However, I'm using ACE combat - related? Seems to be triggered by fully draining it. Fix = stamina potions. Certain ones seem to trigger regen?

2.) my follower (s?) sometimes don't seem to realize I'm in combat and won't fight. Dialogue is available, however, and I can order her to attack. Using Amazing Follower tweaks, tried simply disabling it. Not sure if ti's working yet.

Mod bugs:

1.) WAS getting a ctd while using Convenient Horses if i tried to whistle call him. Disabling and re-enabling it seemed to fix it, but needs testing.

2.) Missing quest markers: Some map mods - IceKk's smaller map icon mod for example - are experiencing issues with not having quest arrows, personal markers etc. As far as I can tell map works fine without mods, and I'm using Quality Road Maps and having no problems.

3.) Places: Oakwood (Hearthfire Edition) seems to be causing a ctd whenever I enter or pass by the area. (Mod by thirteen Oranges.) Have it at the bottom of my load order etc. Waiting to hear back from mod author, or other users of the mod to see if I'm the only one. Uninstalling is a temporary fix since it's not a quest-heavy mod.

4.) Script-heavy mods - Any of these mods are likely to experience various degrees of glitchyness. I'm noticing things seem to work one minute then don't the next, in the same playthrough without reloading the game.

Quest Bugs:

1.) Nightmare Unending (daedra quest.) Apparently some people can't save after disabling the shield. Use TCL (courtesy Gremxula) to get around the shield. http://www.uesp.net/...aking_Nightmare

Console Command Issues

1.) Sometimes they don't actually have an effect. Have tried and verified this with TCL & ResetAI, but i'm unsure if this is 1.8 related. Has anyone else experienced it?

When you type TCL (I checked the command on uesp wiki to be sure) it's supposed to return a line in the console to the effect "collision disabled." This doesn't happen when you get the bug.

Restarting (reloading?) the game fixes it.

Game Play bugs:

1.) Follower Ai seems to have become more prone to glitching. Specifically, resulting in followers not attacking, not registering they're in combat - allowing you to have conversations etc - and so on. This is an older glitch (read http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/658662-follower-combat-ai-problem/ for some more info) but more frequent after the patch. For me, anyway. It's also manifesting (i believe) in followers refusing to move. Have seen multiple people talking about it over the last few days.

2.) Hearthfire gets reset? Anyone experience this?

Interface bugs:

1.) World map - some people are reporting issues with world map north/south movement not working. Unsure if this is solely mod-related.

Edited by slainia

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've updated the post with a few smallish things.

i'm also running into a pretty frustrating follower ai bug. Very similar to this http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/658662-follower-combat-ai-problem/ thread (2 posts, not tldr) except that it's Janessa.

Not using follower mods atm (disabled to test the bug, but it's still persisting). Am going to experiment some, see what it's like with just skyrim et al.

nope even with just hf, dg & the unofficial patches she still runs back and forth. Tried resetting ai (console command) sometimes causes her to sheath her weapon and redraw it.

I'm also noticing a console command issue -sometimes they just don't work. This is new, w/i the last...4 ? days for me. Tried TCL, ResetAi. TCL doesn't vgive the collision disabled console line. Reloading the game seems to fix it. (possibly restarting)

Both going in the upper post.

Also - I hope my posting doesn't bother people. I tend to read the forums a lot.

Edited by slainia

For the Creation Kit problems (surprise, surprise, they didn't release the update today like some people were over optimistically predicting,) there are two ways of getting around it if you need to work on a mod;-

1) Restore a backup of the 1.7 Update.esm and bsa if you have it

2) If you don't, use TES5Edit to change the version number in the header of the Update.esm from 1.70 to 0.94

That works? Nice. I've heard other people saying the opposite, but I'll note it.

Been googling all my issues to see if other people are experiencing them, but so far mine are pretty obscure. (or i'm just not using the right search terms. I do that sometimes.)

If anyone else experiences similar problems, mind leaving a post? If you found a mod that clears said problem up - weather by disabling it, or using it to fix a glitch - tell me that, too.

if im' just having bad luck or one of my mods is throwing fits, i don't wanna mislead people saying it's b/c of 1.8.

OK here is a real doozy that I have just noticed. I have only checked it with one character so far but it is a real PITA if it has happened with Emilie, my main char, as well.

Basically it appears to have reset Hearthfire for me. I was playing Morgana, my second character, today. Now she had already built the houses in Falkreath Hold and Hjaalmarch Hold, that I remember. I had also done the dreaded Waking Nightmare with her already. So now that she was over level 22 (apparently required to buy the land in the Pale) she headed back to Dawnstar to talk to Jarl Skald. To my dismay I saw that everyone was once more in a trance and the gang were hanging out outside Skald's place arguing, and the priest dude was back in the inn looking for a likely lass to help him. Feeling very disconcerted, I opened the map. The house that I had built at Lakeview Manor was not there and neither was the one in Hjaalmarch (?Windstad?). Feeling even more pissed, I opened my journal...and discovered that there was NOTHING under completed quests for these and even worse, the objective to talk to Jarl Siddgeir in Falkreath was OPEN again.

Nice one, they seem to have broken their own DLC.

Edit - my main character, Emilie, is fine. Go figure.

Is it possible it got disabled and resaved when you were testing out something? i almost did that this morning. Doing that would reset it so you hadn't done any of the content, wouldn't it?

I don't think so. I think if that was the case I would not even have had the letter from Jarl Siddgeir in my inventory, I would have got approached by the courier again.

Also, it would have wiped it all out for Emilie as well, who for some unaccountable reason still has all three of her houses.

Looks like it is one of those bugs that is intermittent, but very annoying.