Main Quest Broken: Delphine's Attic room

RaulCuevas

I have a severe problem regarding the main quest of Skyrim, one problem that actually breaks the main quest, and I've tried everything I have at hand to solve it. It goes as follows:

In the quest "The horn of Jurgen Windcaller", I got to the point when I need to ask Delphine for the attic room in Sleeping Giant Inn, in order to sleep in the room in the left, be aproached by her get the horn to take to the Graybeards, and get the quest "A blade in the dark". I've been past this point two times in other playthroughs with no problems at all. But now, when I talk to Delphine she won't even offer me the option of the attic room, only to rent the normal one. As consecuence, I can't end the quest of the horn, nor start "A blade in the dark", at all.

I've tried several ways without being able to solve the issue:

- Ending the quest of the horn and starting the next with the console - the first marks as finished, but the Graybeards act as it never happened, and the latter won't even start, no matter the number of the stage I use.

- Adding the horn via the console - it won't work, the graybeards won't recognize I have it in my inventory.

- Attacking Delphine, ley her crouch into the ground and then standing up, killing her and resurrecting her (after making her non essential), disabling and enabling her, using "recycleactor" and everything - she won't give me the line for "rent the attic room" no matter what.

- Reverting to an old save - the result is always the same, and I keep backups from practically all my older saves.

- Returning later to ask for the room - same result.

- Veryfing file integrity - same result.

I don't have any mods that alter Delphine or the storyline in any way, and I don't have DLC (Dawnguard or Heartfire). Also, I've seen some threads with the exact same issue, without a solution. If by any chance anyone can help me to progress the main quest, I'd be absolutely grateful.

IDK, if the issue can be solved in a normal way, maybe someone can point me to a mod/make one that serves the purpose of start quests, making them advance, or something that forces NPC's to give you all the options in their dialogue in order to trigger quests? Anything could help. Thanks in advance.

- Ending the quest of the horn and starting the next with the console - the first marks as finished, but the Graybeards act as it never happened, and the latter won't even start, no matter the number of the stage I use.

Okay let me try to figure this out, MQ105Ustengrav (The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller) complete stage is 60. The problem with setting that to complete is part of the mission is learning a new shout, which you would have to add via the console. stage 30 is when you get the horn. stage 40 is to Learn the Word of Power from Wulfgar, so have you tried setting it to stage 40 and learning the power?

the next quest is MQ106 (A blade in the dark) and the initial stage is 30. So I'm assuming you used the console to end the last quest and start MQ106 at stage 30?

A known bug in a balde in the dark is Delphine may never enter her hidden basement room to trigger the involved dialogue. No amount of waiting will fix this. Try using resetquest MQ106, setstage MQ106 0, setstage MQ106 1, and setstage MQ106 5. After that, renting the attic room reappears as a dialogue option.

Thanks for the answer man, but it didn't work. If I use setstage mq105ustengrav 40, the quest marker indeed points to Wulfgar, but he won't interact with me, nor say anything; also, ANOTHER quest marker keeps pointing at Delphine, wh won't give me the desired dialogue. So, I can "force" the stages of the quest in the log, but it won't make any difference in game. I find this pretty strange, since the console seems to work alright with other bugged quests not related to the main storyline.

If I try to set the stages of mq106 just as you told me, anything would happen. The console won't mark any error, but in the game, anything changes, any quest starts and Delphine still won't offer me the attic room.

So, I'm back at the beggining. I don't want to think I'm screwed, there must be way to make it work, via console, a mod, or maybe replacing a broken script manually, perhaps?

This ones starting to bother me, I thought for sure that last one would do it. Okay, So, if the arrow is pointing to Wulfgar, how about if you try clicking on him and using the command "moveto player" and moving him around to a few places in the building. Maybe its a locational trigger. You could try moving Delphine as well.

It really confuses me why forcing stages in the console wont work, and resetting the quest wont work. Maybe try resetquest mq105ustengrav

Indeed, I also fin it strange as hell. I've used the console before to start "Blood on Ice", and also to complete a bugged objective of one of the quests of the Thieves Guild without problem at all. I've also seen two or three threads with the exact same problem as mine, and they never got the solution, only "start a new character and pray that you're not screwed". I was hoping someone could help me here and maybe share the solution.

Anyway! I tried mmoving around the characters with little sucess, I don't think it's as much a locational trigger as it is regarding the stages of the quest. Just to picture the situation, I've also tried setting the stage of mq105ustengrav to the point when you have to hand over the horn to Aerngeir, I added the horn to my inventory via the console, and even when tue quest marker points to him, he gives me no option to take the horn or continue from there.

Reseting the quest also didn't work.

I'm guessing the only way to fix this, would be if a mod exist out there that forces NPC to offer you all their dialogue options, or replacing a messed up script manually, since veryfing the integrity of files haven't been of much help.

Sure, I hope it helps to add some light to the issue:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

FallOut3Hairs.esm

SkyMoMod.esm

Evil Lair of Hydra.esm

ApachiiHair.esm

ApachiiHairFemales.esm

RaceCompatibility.esm

Dual Wield for Followers.esm

OblivionHairPackAIO.esm

Ambience Music Overhaul - with vanilla music.esm

Ambience Music Overhaul - Addon - with vanilla music -.esp

Ambience Music Overhaul - Combat - with vanilla music.esp

Ambience Music Overhaul - Interiors and Special - with vanilla music.esp

Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp

MissAniThrope and chakaru11's C Eyes.esp

BreezehomeEnchanter.esp

Breezehome Open Windows.esp

ProudspireManorImprovements.esp

Hjerim_Blacksmith_English.esp

skymomodbook.esp

00SexyHouseVendors.esp

better fences.esp

Cart in Each Big Town.esp

UnlimitedBookshelves.esp

LydiaLoopFix.esp

SkyMoMod_lists.esp

Realistic crime report radius.esp

Auto Unequip Arrows.esp

SkyrimWeightImprovement.esp

ExpandedJewelryCrafting.esp

ADEC_HalfPlate.esp

AlduinWing.esp

CrossWarpaint.esp

AmazonArmor.esp

ArmoredCircletsQuickFox.esp

Bandanas of Skyrim.esp

BarbarianArmor.esp

Barbarian Jewelry.esp

Berserk Black Swordsman Armor - No Arm.esp

CraftablePantysCBBEv3M.esp

Darklilith.esp

DesertWindByNausicaa.esp

DraconicArmor.esp

DVd.esp

Earrings Set1.esp

ExtendedVanillaWeapons.esp

fox10 Armor.esp

fox9 Armor.esp

FS_AngelsInSkyrim.esp

Gatti14Yumiko.esp

HentaiMaxiArmor.esp

hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

I5KWeaponOH.esp

isilNarsil.esp

Karliah-MiniByNausicaa.esp

LayerBikini.esp

leathercollar1mm.esp

MaleClericArmor.esp

MaleClericArmorHeavy.esp

Pushup-Bikini.esp

Remodeled Armor.esp

SexyKunoichi2ndByNausicaa.esp

SkyHeels.esp

TS_FetishPantyhoseOutfits.esp

TS_GattiBondage1.esp

UNP Boots 02.esp

VoidArmor.esp

Dr_Bandolier.esp

DHuntress.esp

SwordDancer.esp

SchoolgirlOutfit.esp

DIMclothes1.esp

JewelryArmorMod.esp

AlynShirArmor.esp

Doom Heavy Set.esp

DovahkiinEloquentia.esp

NewmillerCasualBikiniUNP2.esp

SUNMagicArmor.esp

Gatti7Siggy.esp

Rayne Armor.esp

Storm Wings.esp

Sweet&Sexy Lingerie.esp

NewmillerShoesUNP.esp

Lady Elegance.esp

SantaRobes.esp

zzALittleSexyApparelReplacer_nobra.esp

Ryu's Stash of Conversions.esp

SpaceWikingSpecialEffectFreyjaGems.esp

DeadlyDragons.esp

DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp

RealisticWaterTextures.esp

FixCombatMusic.esp

Proper Aiming.esp

Killable Children.esp

Hunting in Skyrim - No Perks.esp

Werewolf Loot.esp

Dual Wield Parrying_RandomAttacks.esp

Nord Racial Tweek.esp

TemptressVixen.esp

SuccubusRace.esp

MasterEnchanter.esp

Improved Dragon Shouts.esp

DragonFire - Improved Dragon Shouts Compatibility.esp

3DNPC.esp

theboss.esp

Amara.esp

Darr.esp

JohnTheAssassin.esp

Tornis.esp

Irva.esp

Illdi.esp

Jala.esp

SexyLydia.esp

Sylvia.esp

Tina.esp

Soriana.esp

Lisette.esp

Leena.esp

ElisifTheFair.esp

Sydney1.esp

Amira.esp

HousecarlSolitude.esp

AelaTheHuntress.esp

Daniele.esp

VivienneOnis.esp

DungeonQuestAwareness.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by RaulCuevas

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, though I noticed that "help attic" doesn't return any results, while I remember, that I stumbled upon various dialogue options when using "help" command.

My best guess is that this line was somehow completely removed from the game by a bug or mod.

Is it possible to find dialogue ids and what referenced to them?