Valve on why they're favouring Linux over Windows 8

JimboUK

So your point is that digital distributors should charge the same amount of commission as brick-and-mortar businesses when they've got much lower overheads than their rivals? And that's what makes them good? Reeeeeally

You are aware it's the brick & mortar shops that are essentially forcing digital prices to stay high, right? If digital games are cheaper than their retail counterparts, the retail market would all but die off. Who's going to drive out to a brick & mortar shop to buy a game for $50/$60 if you can buy it for much cheaper online and just wait a few hours for it to download?

Also, you seem very misinformed as to how digital distribution actually works, which I find odd. Valve doesn't control the prices on Steam. Game prices are determined entirely by the publisher and/or developer.

What's actually ironic is Windows 8 costs about half the price of Windows 7. It's £45 at retail, and I paid around £80-£90 for Windows 7. That's the price of 1 and a 1/3 AAA games. I don't think that's overpriced at all. Windows 8 is actually only £25 if you upgrade from Windows 7, but I think I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than do that.

That's because Windows 8 is only available as an upgrade. You have to own a previous version of Windows in order to install Win8.

Edited by Halororor

Also, you seem very misinformed as to how digital distribution actually works, which I find odd. Valve doesn't control the prices on Steam. Game prices are determined entirely by the publisher and/or developer.

Valve don't control the commission they earn on game sales, the game developers do? Amusing you think that, but obviously wrong ;)

I'm aware you're talking about game prices. That's not what I was talking about at all, so either you're putting words in my mouth, you've misread what I've written or you've gone off on a tangent that's irrelevant to the original point. Game prices can stay at £30 for all I care, but Valve taking the same commission of the game sale (30%) as a bricks and mortar business is what the point of the topic is. The argument is nothing to do with the price of the game.

That's because Windows 8 is only available as an upgrade. You have to own a previous version of Windows in order to install Win8.

Wrong as well. Though I will admit the price is higher than I quoted. I assume I didn't catch the £45 option being an upgrade as well.

Also, Dark0ne, I think it's pretty insulting that you resort to insinuating that those of us who are fans of Steam ejaculate all over our PCs every time Steam or GabeN is mention. I actually expect a bit better than that of you. Especially considering that you seem to be arguing from a position of complete ignorance (and I say that with all due respect).

Steam is by no means perfect, and god knows some days I spend as much time trying to get it running as I spend actually using it, but it is undeniable that Steam is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in years. A few years back the PC gaming market was in a pretty bad state. Have a look at Russia. It was one of the countries with one of the highest piracy rates in the world. Valve sees unserved customers, whereas most other PC gaming companies just sees a bunch of thieves. People advise Valve against opening up the service in the Russian region, Valve does it anyway. And hey, whaddaya know, today Russia is one of Steam's biggest sources of revenue.

You can say what you will about Steam, but they managed to become top-dog in the PC gaming market because they know how to do business and they know what customers want. They don't see pirates as thieves, they see it for what it is; a service delivery issue. They also don't try to nickle and dime every last cent out of their customers like just about every other major gaming corporation out there.

You're welcome to your opinion, obviously, probably more so considering that this is your site, but I reckon I'm also allow to comment on your opinion and say that I think you painting those of us who are Steam fans as if we're a bunch of gushing fanbois ejaculating all over the place is pretty naive and ignorant on your part. There's a damn good reason why so many of us love the service. Steam has brought us a long way from where we were 5 years ago, when everyone was sitting around talking in hushed voices and wondering what's happening to PC gaming.

Be that as it may, that's what the business lead for Microsoft South Africa told us, and that's the information I was working on.

Windows 8 only available as upgrade at retail

It was confirmed in Australia as well. I didn't really have much reason to doubt something coming directly out of Microsoft's mouths.

Windows 8 is only available as an upgrade

Edited by Halororor

So you're someone who misreads what I type and puts words in my mouth, then. Go back and re-read what I wrote. Or better yet, I'll just quote it.

Now I'm no Microsoft fan boy, and I didn't once allude to being one. But similarly I'm not a Steam fan boy. I'm also not a Steam hater, I'm just not one of those people who puts the "saviour of the PC" moniker on them or splurges all over the screen every time Gabe Newell is even mentioned.

Now explain where I said all steam fans splurge over their screen every time Gabe Newell is mentioned. The answer is: I didn't.

You've gone off on a big tangent talking about points I never mentioned or wished to contest, and actually ignored the only actual point I've brought up, that of Steam charging the same commission on game sales as non-digital distributors.

Especially considering that you seem to be arguing from a position of complete ignorance (and I say that with all due respect).

Very ironic.

Ubuntu is a beautiful looking OS, with more interest being pushed into it from game developers, I think it would provide a whole new bunch of users giving more of an incentive for people to develop more programs for the OS thus increasing it's market share. They could really use it, and I'd be glad to use such an OS if only it had everything I needed that is provided on Windows. I'm sure it could make a hell of a dent in the business world too if they thought windows 8 would.

hmm theres a thought a windows version of steam , might actually get some support i know who id go with given a choice and thats something that seems to of been overlooked by many posters as a gamer i have no CHOICE... i wanna play certain games then i have to agree to steams T&C's on top of the publishers as well as suffering forced updates since rage was patched it hasn't worked on my machine prior to the patch it ran perfectly now many will say AMD/ATI driver issue but id refer you back to " forced updates " thats what broke it not my GPU drivers if only i could roll it back windows has that function ! and thats what steam are frightened of healthy competant competition they know full well their days are numbered can you imagine what it would be like if the creators of the DX pacakges and the VCred packages started a steam like platform id hazard a guess and say it might actually work ,which is why Valve are looking to new areas that MS can't touch like ubuntu slim pickings thankfully not that i dislike linux i just prefer windows , ubuntu is still lacking in many areas.

and on the subject of staems 30% cut well thats obscene the company i work for retails both hardware and software we dont even put 30% on hardware (10% we add ) let alone software the whole point of downloading software is to save on those overheads such as bricks and mortar and to pass on the saving to the customer reduce your prices and sell more simple isn't it but no doubt the money monkeys at valve sniffed a larged dollop of moolar and started salavating what started as a seemingly honourable venture 9 years ago has turned out to be nothing more than a money making venture they have no interest in preventing piracy its impossible we all know that .but like fools we all suffer the #### valve drop on us purely because we have no choice if we wanna play the AAA games, stop and think for a moment if i offered you an alternative to steam that was created and run by MS you know those people who provide you with constant updates and support would you still suffer steam ? thats a no brainer really isnt it .

david thought he was pretty niffty with his slingshot until goliath turned up in a crash helmet !

... it is undeniable that Steam is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in years....

That is undeniably your opinion which is not shared by many. (See what I did there :teehee:)

They could really use it, and I'd be glad to use such an OS if only it had everything I needed that is provided on Windows.

Therein lies the problem and why Windows is so darn popular. :wallbash: (Your signature is funny btw :thumbsup: )

Edited by lonewolf_kai