Best skyrim build that you have played?

thunderwolf86

vanilla Skyrim is hilariously unbalanced in just about every way imaginable.

1. Enemies scale with your level, so become a Werewolf during Level 1 without gaining any levels before it (trust me, it's possible). Then get your werewolf level maxed and use it to slaughter just about every enemy you encounter in the game for awhile.

2. Get the Black Star and some kind of weapon enchanted with soul trap.

3. Get a weapon with an extremely costly enchantment (something that you use up really quickly), and alternate between it and your soul trapping weapon. Level enchanting to 100 by recharging that weapon/enchanting new weapons/armor per your desire.

4. Use maxed enchanting to make smithing gear.

5. gg.

--

Assuming you don't want to go that route (which I did do once, it got boring after awhile, but it was an interesting experiment)... and you don't want to play marksmanship, try this build sometime:

Alteration + Heavy Armor + Block + Enchanting + Smithing

This build is all about maximizing your armor and resistances as fast as possible so as to be able to take as much of a beating as possible early game. You block stuff with your shield and reduce damage using "flesh" spells combined with your high armor rating. Basically this build is a race to the 85% physical resistance cap, and some magic resistance never hurts. Alteration is the easiest to max if you abuse Detect Life in a city.

--

When not playing vanilla Skyrim you can actually have an interesting game, assuming you use the right mods. I personally don't like SkyRe. I have a custom built spell mod (which I can't share, sorry), which I use to balance out the schools of magic. I'm currently working on my own alchemy mod as well, to make alchemy more interesting. I have ideas for other skill trees as well, but lack the time/interest to actually make the mods right now.

Edited by matortheeternal

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No perks is different from no using the skill. I would go crazy if I never picked a lock. All that treasure left behind ...

I do stockpile sale items until I'm ready to level speech. So I'm basically a hoarder. Do you do the Kolskegger quest to turn in gold ore without leveling speech? For a mage this one's about as important as joining the College. Level Alteration, get paid, and Speech stays right where it is. It beats picking cabbage.

I'm with you on protected followers. Having followers who can die would make you a lot more protective of them, or would at least make you feel some remorse for allowing them to die.

So I guess for the crafting schools you rely on enchanting as your sole means of boosting the other two? How does that work out for healing potions, FD, and so forth?

Your follower will still be very formidable. A master enchanter is a pretty good smith, and you've got FH and MR on the necklace and ring slots to throw into the mix. Fortify Health gives followers some serious endurance.

Do you not wear armor, at all, ever?

Bow and arrow with crosshair has always been good for me, gets way too easy after awhile. Now try playing without the crosshair with bow and arrow, that actually takes some skill. Also disable auto aim and sneak icon. Suddenly being an archer is not so easy. I have just started a new playthrough and it is much more rewarding this way, sometimes a little frustrating when you are use to hitting targets 99% of the time and then only hitting them 50%. I am still learning to aim proper. Also just when I thought I had my aim down I went into sneak mode and had to learn how to aim proper in sneak mode as it changes the way you hold your bow so my aiming system is different for regular and sneak. Everyone who has played as an archer type should give no crosshairs a try, having the crosshairs really makes things too easy.

Bow and arrow with crosshair has always been good for me, gets way too easy after awhile. Now try playing without the crosshair with bow and arrow, that actually takes some skill. Also disable auto aim and sneak icon. Suddenly being an archer is not so easy. I have just started a new playthrough and it is much more rewarding this way, sometimes a little frustrating when you are use to hitting targets 99% of the time and then only hitting them 50%. I am still learning to aim proper. Also just when I thought I had my aim down I went into sneak mode and had to learn how to aim proper in sneak mode as it changes the way you hold your bow so my aiming system is different for regular and sneak. Everyone who has played as an archer type should give no crosshairs a try, having the crosshairs really makes things too easy.

I've always thought a good modification for Marksmanship would be to institute some kind of scatter mechanic which reduces in magnitude as your Marksmanship skill increases. This way sniping isn't as viable a strategy at level 1. You can still get a shot that goes down the middle, but most of the time it's off.

I've always thought a good modification for Marksmanship would be to institute some kind of scatter mechanic which reduces in magnitude as your Marksmanship skill increases. This way sniping isn't as viable a strategy at level 1. You can still get a shot that goes down the middle, but most of the time it's off.

Agreed it would be nice if as your archery skill increased so did your chance to actually hit something. Being able to hit everything in site takes all the fun out of it, you never say to yourself ," I wonder if I am going to actually hit my target." It is shoot and hit, rinse and repeat, at pretty much any distance. If such a mod exists please let me know.

The problem with adding an artificial handicap like inaccurate projectiles to arrows, crossbow bolts and even certain magic spells at low levels is everybody would complain there is no reason they shouldn't be able to hit something IF THEIR REAL LIFE AIMING SKILL is good. This happens all the time in first person shooters and Skyrim would be no different. It wouldn't just be so-called casual gamers, either. Skilled gamers would be the first to complain about how real world skill (accuracy) should determine in-game accuracy and not an arbitrary in-game skill level your character has. I agree with this type of game design (real world skill = in-game skill) because artificial handicaps that make a game "harder" are cheap and usually end up not as immersive as thought, originally.

Edited by MidevalGuy

Agreed it would be nice if as your archery skill increased so did your chance to actually hit something. Being able to hit everything in site takes all the fun out of it, you never say to yourself ," I wonder if I am going to actually hit my target." It is shoot and hit, rinse and repeat, at pretty much any distance. If such a mod exists please let me know.

I haven't heard of such a mod, and I've been here for awhile. I plan on making such a mod though, so watch out for that! (It'll probably end up being called Arcus, the latin word for bow).

The problem with adding an artificial handicap like inaccurate projectiles to arrows, crossbow bolts and even certain magic spells at low levels is everybody would complain there is no reason they shouldn't be able to hit something IF THEIR REAL LIFE AIMING SKILL is good. This happens all the time in first person shooters and Skyrim would be no different. It wouldn't just be so-called casual gamers, either. Skilled gamers would be the first to complain about how real world skill (accuracy) should determine in-game accuracy and not an arbitrary in-game skill level your character has. I agree with this type of game design (real world skill = in-game skill) because artificial handicaps that make a game "harder" are cheap and usually end up not as immersive as thought, originally.

First off, how many people do you know who play Skyrim who practice archery regularly, and can hit a moving target at 50+ yards with wind speeds and a medieval bow (which often has massive draw weight)? Unless you're an extremely avid archer yourself, I'd imagine not that many. My point is, the majority of Skyrim players are not hot archers IRL. Furthermore, Skyrim is a role playing game. That means your character starts fresh - unskilled - and works his way up. It works both ways - your character may not start with the skills you have in real life, and your character may end with skills you don't have in real life. This is why it's a role playing game.

Second off, spray is a part of many video games, including some classic First Person shooters. Spray is realistic. To insist a weapon be 100% accurate at any distance is insane. It's equally insane to insist that a beginning archer be able to shoot accurately at long distances.

remember that Mongolians and Longbowmen did not aim at specific targets, but rather in a zonal area, where the density of arrows could have effect over an area.

I feel marksmanship should reflect on your character's ability to use a bow. Is that really so wrong? (considering that Marksmanship is so overpowered in Skyrim right now, I'd say it's right, if anything)

--

I hear what you're saying, but I think you're jumping the gun (or the bow, heh). I haven't presented any formulas or provided any gameplay analysis to clarify my idea. I suppose the initial response to someone proposing a modification is usually one of doubt because many modders aren't adept at executing believable and effective changes to games, but I can assure you I'm giving this all the thought it justly deserves.

The real consequence that this single modification I have proposed will have is it will require players with low marksmanship skill to shoot at targets that are relatively close if they want to hit every shot. As their marksmanship skill increases they would be able to shoot at targets farther away while remaining accurate. Thus "sniping" with a bow is a "reward" for marksmanship training, and isn't "given" to the player at the very beginning of the game.

-Mator

First off, how many people do you know who play Skyrim who practice archery regularly, and can hit a moving target at 50+ yards with wind speeds and a medieval bow (which often has massive draw weight)? Unless you're an extremely avid archer yourself, I'd imagine not that many. My point is, the majority of Skyrim players are not hot archers IRL. Furthermore, Skyrim is a role playing game. That means your character starts fresh - unskilled - and works his way up. It works both ways - your character may not start with the skills you have in real life, and your character may end with skills you don't have in real life. This is why it's a role playing game.

Second off, spray is a part of many video games, including some classic First Person shooters. Spray is realistic. To insist a weapon be 100% accurate at any distance is insane. It's equally insane to insist that a beginning archer be able to shoot accurately at long distances.

-Mator

Whoa, calm down, cowboy. Reign in those fillies, OK? :wink:

I am aware spray is a part of many first person shooters, but many times it is (was) over exaggerated to the point of absurdity e.g. Counter-Strike got the point you had to aim at a player model's feet to score a head shot. How is that in any way realistic, or skilled? I know you didn't specifically say you want that kind of rubbish spread, but this is what I was getting at in that some players prefer real life skill to determine accuracy more so than in-game skill even in an RPG and especially in a hybrid FPS like Skyrim is. You disagree and that's fine. But learn to disagree in a less defensive manner, OK?

Edited by MidevalGuy

Whoa, calm down, cowboy. Reign in those fillies, OK? :wink:

I don't know what gave you the impression that I was not calm... o_O'

I am aware spray is a part of many first person shooters, but many times it is (was) over exaggerated to the point of absurdity e.g. Counter-Strike got the point you had to aim at a player model's feet to score a head shot. How is that in any way realistic, or skilled? I know you didn't specifically say you want that kind of rubbish spread, but this is what I was getting at in that some players prefer real life skill to determine accuracy more so than in-game skill even in an RPG and especially in a hybrid FPS like Skyrim is. You disagree and that's fine. But learn to disagree in a less defensive manner, OK?

What is this "real life skill" you speak of? I just find that absurd, because you're calling accuracy at aiming at things with a mouse a real life skill. I truly don't understand that phrasing...

Players who prefer that all their shots go exactly where they aim regardless of the weapon they use are free to play a first person shooter game like TF2, or not play Skyrim with this up-and-coming modification. I honestly don't need you to tell me that. You're clearly jumping down my throat for suggesting a modification that I would find interesting, something which is generally frowned upon here on the Nexus.

--

I fail to see how spray is such a by-definition negative thing. Sure, if you overdid it it would suck (and make bows useless), but assuming that I'd make it absurd like Counter Strike is, yet again, jumping the gun (or bow, if you must).

In Halo CE the pistol has an amount of spray that makes it unfeasible to shoot someone from more than ~80 meters. People still use it at fairly long ranges, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about it. Assuming a game mechanic is by its very nature a negative thing without seeing it in context or implemented is a very foolish thing to do, so I find it offensive that you so immediately throw down the gauntlet and say what I'm planning on doing won't be accepted by gamer audience X or Y. You know virtually nothing about what I'm actually planning...

And that's why I've responded so thoroughly to you.

-Mator

P.S. And just so you know, I have no intention of completely outsourcing "skill" to randomized spray. This isn't Dungeons and Dragons, it's Skyrim. "Skill" will still be the definitive factor (and possibly even more so, because you won't be able to snipe from the get-go), you'll just have some room for development (reward psychology, the basis of video games, yay).

No perks is different from no using the skill. I would go crazy if I never picked a lock. All that treasure left behind ...

I do stockpile sale items until I'm ready to level speech. So I'm basically a hoarder. Do you do the Kolskegger quest to turn in gold ore without leveling speech? For a mage this one's about as important as joining the College. Level Alteration, get paid, and Speech stays right where it is. It beats picking cabbage.

I'm with you on protected followers. Having followers who can die would make you a lot more protective of them, or would at least make you feel some remorse for allowing them to die.

So I guess for the crafting schools you rely on enchanting as your sole means of boosting the other two? How does that work out for healing potions, FD, and so forth?

Your follower will still be very formidable. A master enchanter is a pretty good smith, and you've got FH and MR on the necklace and ring slots to throw into the mix. Fortify Health gives followers some serious endurance.

Do you not wear armor, at all, ever?

I didn't realize Kolskeggr allowed that, so I never really focused on it. I'm certain that the protected follower issue is an AI problem; there's not really an alternative. I really like thralls for this exact reason, but they have an, umm, annoying dialouge. I just realized, after years off-and-on with this game, that I've never tried "enthralling" a dead follower. I'm gonna try it. "Hey, Lydia, step right over there for a second. Yeah, I know its next to the cliff edge."

For "pure" builds, I only take perks defined under the Guardian stone skill increases, except for Speech. I'll take Speech with most builds just to make more money. Just Enchanting for Mages. The only real problem I run into with that is improving gear for tank followers. FD is a big problem for my current Mages, no doubt about it. In fact, its my biggest problem since I stopped taking Alchemy perks. I usually have a Paralysis-poisoned dagger, or poison for a conjured weapon, ready for that enivitable melee confrontation. Now the poisons don't work as well, either. But, based on forum posts, I think I use Shouts more than most; they are a MAJOR part of playing Skyrim for me and they take up their share of hot-keyed favorites. The DLC shout buffs are a pretty big deal for my mages.

None of my "pure mages" ever wear any armor, but they do use the .*flesh spells, Mage Armor perks, and wards (they give a little extra armor rating). Usually, CoW robes and enchanted jewelry/hats/gloves/boots. On Legendary, several hundred damage hits are commonplace. Dragons; no problemo. Giants; pffftt. Centurions; target practice. Archers; the Magebane of Skyrim. My current mage has 140 base magicka and 420 health. I probably won't get anymore base magicka. That's a 1:8 ratio and she barely survives as it is; I wish I had that 40 health instead of the magicka. I don't know if she will make it at this point and I'm already planning a new build. Illusionists can be fun (I think Illusion is least affected by difficulty level), but the DLC (I just got them not long ago and have not beat either one yet) seems to make out-and-out combat ability an even higher priority.