SKSE says "Update to the latest version of skyrim"

ArtMurder

Alright, so today I decided to do a fresh install of skyrim. However, the very first thing i did blew up in my face. I re-installed SKSE the only other things I've installed so far are the unofficial patches, and some texture packs, and SkyUI and iHUD to have something to test if SKSE was working when I launched the game

But,when I launch the game I get the stated error. It doesn't matter if I launch it with SKSE or with the Skyrim launcher, I just keep getting this issue. I am using Skyrim version 1.8.151.0(In game it says 1.18.151.0.7) and SKSE 1.06.04, which has the 1.8.151.0 DLL.

Id I remove the SKSE launched all together, the game will launch, but SKSE doesn't work (obviously)

Proof I'm not crazy.

http://i45.tinypic.com/14bl4cx.png

I honestly have no clue what the problem is. This was working perfectly fine before I did a clean install, and now it won't work at all. Before you ask, yes, I tested Skyrim before I installed this, and it worked perfectly fine, and the vanilla revert was pretty successful (the oddly the only mod I was subscribed too through steam, Midas Magic, was still installed, despite uninstalling it and unsubscribing to it.... )

EDIT: I checked the site, and downloaded the 1.06.05 version of SKSE, but it made no deference. Also, both iHUD and SkyUI are the most up-to-date versions.

Edited by ArtMurder

I'd worry about Midas still being there, I mean, if it could get stuck, then maybe some other stuff also got left behind.

I doubt it. Considering through a VERY extensive test of my vanilla game the only thing I found midas stuff, and midas was the ONLY mod I installed through steam, I'm pretty sure steam just reinstalled it for some reason. It did take forever downloading new stuff for skyrim when I did the vanilla revert. Besides, the version of skyrim I had before the revert was the same as it is now, and the version of SKSE was the same, and no mod should affect the version of skyrim or skse anyways.

I honestly have no idea whats causing the issue though.

Is there a reason for you having both a TESV.exe and a TES_.exe?

From what I've been told, renaming the TESV to TES_ and then renaming SKSE_Launcher to TESV is the only way to make Steam launch skyrim through SKSE. I used it before doing the vanilla revert for a long time, and it worked just fine.

From what I've been told, renaming the TESV to TES_ and then renaming SKSE_Launcher to TESV is the only way to make Steam launch skyrim through SKSE. I used it before doing the vanilla revert for a long time, and it worked just fine.

I have never done that, I don't have a Tes_exe - and SKSE has been working with Steam all along. I don't see just how that would affect your game though.

TesV.exe is the main game file. That is what SKSE calls to start the game after SKSE has loaded. TesV.exe then calls Steam.

Renaming a file would make it not work when the SKSE calls TesV.exe. The SKSE calls Tesv.exe and not Tes_.exe - which to the windows operating system are two different files - even though the content may be the same. As long as the TesV.exe is there for SKSE to call, it should not care if there is another file named Tes_.exe (unless there is something in SKSE that can use Tes_.exe and calls it also)

I have never done that, I don't have a Tes_exe - and SKSE has been working with Steam all along. I don't see just how that would affect your game though.

TesV.exe is the main game file. That is what SKSE calls to start the game after SKSE has loaded. TesV.exe then calls Steam.

Renaming a file would make it not work when the SKSE calls TesV.exe. The SKSE calls Tesv.exe and not Tes_.exe - which to the windows operating system are two different files - even though the content may be the same. As long as the TesV.exe is there for SKSE to call, it should not care if there is another file named Tes_.exe (unless there is something in SKSE that can use Tes_.exe and calls it also)

Okay, I tried just dropping the SKSE launcher into the skyrim folder without making any edits and it worked. Odd, since I used it the other way for a long time and it worked fine, and wouldn't work if I tried it this way....

I tried to track down were I read to do that, but I can't now. Very odd.

The "renaming" was in the instructions for this mod:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12923

I did this as well...but have now un-installed this mod...and re-installed SKSE as per the instructions (I also am using Skyrim version 1.8.151.0 (In game it says 1.18.151.0.7) and SKSE 1.06.04, which has the 1.8.151.0 DLL).

After un-installing the above mod and then a SKSE re-install...SKSE will not load for me. Checking in-game tells me it is not present (getskseversion at the command prompt).

Am missing SKSE, cuz so many great mods rely on it!

Any other ideas?

• 4 months later...

Hate to bring a dead thread back but I've encountered some of the same problems as the OP. I did a fresh install of my game re-installed all my mods, ran a test through TES5Edit to make sure everything loaded correctly and used boss for my load order. But when I did a new game SKSE gave me a warning stating I had SKSE V. 0.0.0.0 installed and that I didnt have SKSE installed correctly or not at all but I downloaded SKSE (its version 1.6.13 now I believe and followed the normal procedures before starting the game. Has anybody else had this problem before?