Belt fed?

Angelsilhouette

Would it be possible, either with or without the CS to create a belt fed weapon?

If so I would love to see an ammo belt running from the backpack to the minigun so that it draws directly from your entire 5mm ammunition store without needing to be reloaded every so often.

I'm sure things like chain fed weapons (like a MG42 or M60) would need to wait for the CS since it would require an entirely new loading and firing animation as well as the dangling chain of bullets hanging from the feed. (Though I would prefer the MG42 gripped by the bipod held out to the side with the off hand.)

That would require making a new minigun, or modifying the current mesh, and then animating the action. As for the reload animation, i dont think its humanly possible to reload a loose chain as fast as you reload the ammo box. SO changing the reload speed of the minigun might require the CS. But i may be wrong.

What would be better is to just make a completely new Minigun type weapon, like an m134 vulcan minigun. And have that one be the current miniguns bigger brother, with a higher rate of fire, more ammo capacity (because of the chain), and higher damage. But its drawback would have to be a really inconveniently long reload cycle.

Belt fed? That is really old school. :D

How about electronic firing with the capability of 1,000,000 rounds per minute?

Being electronic and bullets being packed on top of each other inside the barrel, there is no chance for jamming if a bullet is a dud. The bullet behind it will push it out of the way. ;)

MetalStorm

But like what was already said, it would be more animation than anything else to make a belt-fed weapon.

LHammonds

ah yes, the Metal Storm. Because when firing at 3,000 rounds per minute (50 bullets a second) Is not fast enough. You can take down your enemies, AND the bunker their hiding in with a cube of projectiles flying through the air at above the speed of sound. Overkill at its finest.

That would require making a new minigun, or modifying the current mesh, and then animating the action. As for the reload animation, i dont think its humanly possible to reload a loose chain as fast as you reload the ammo box. SO changing the reload speed of the minigun might require the CS. But i may be wrong.

No no, there would be no reload for the minigun at all, there would simply be a large belt running from the bottom/side to the bottom/side of the ammo box you wear on your back. So the only animation added would be the swaying of the ammunition belt/channel. However, depending on the channel, it could be quite rigid and not sway at all, only moving when you move the gun.

Notice the ammunition belt/channel on the right side of the gun. It stays pretty much rigid unless he sweeps the gun back and forth. A little into the video, you can see the ammunition from the open box being sucked into the belt/channel and he doesn't have to stop firing for ages and ages. That's what I'm talking about: Ammunition drawn directly from the backpack, no reloading until you acquire more ammunition, and since there's no animation for inserting rounds into clips or into the backpack, a new animation for that would be unnecessary. There just needs to be a metal belt/channel running from the gun to the pack and the limiter removed on how many rounds the minigun can fire before needing to be reloaded.

hahaha, I see. Silly me. That would just end up being a modelling job. Though the modeller would need to consider the placement of the belt channel around the user in all positions (jump, crouch, running, walking, etc) and make it so it doesnt deform or clip into the player in all positions.

Much easier then what i previously imagine. But much easier said then done.

I wonder what is the largest clip size (as in the number of rounds in a clip) the game can handle?

I remember modding Doom 3 so the clip size* was equal to the amount of ammo that it could use, So I could just bring the pain with out interruption. it was nice not needing to stop & reload so often

* I didn't change the amount picked up just how often I needed to reload

Archived