BLOG PIECE: Nexus moderation system overhaul, etiquette and ethos

Dark0ne

@Terra Nova I've already reported one really really really mean comment and it's been agreed to set it as hidden, I think I'm gonna like this new system and abuse that power then fall to the dark side and become a Sith Lord

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a little trouble here understanding why people keep thinking (and telling) this "new" system was strict or tight or anything, while all there was done was improvements to the moderation "tools" and more means to "warn" before banning.

As a matter of fact the rules are still the same they were for years. There's just another layer of warnings before bans now, so bans will actually occur "less" often than before, not more.

After years of so-called "harsh" moderation, zero-tolerance, no-strike zones etc. they come up with a system allowing for more leniency and people call the "improvements" strict, harsh, whatever? Doesn't make much sense.

(Guess it just shows how few people actually were aware of the rules before.)

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

@Drake: Being aware of TOS has nothing to do with being aware of execution. The reason people see this and think "damn, that's strict" is because they probably didn't break a rule and weren't insta-banned. This blog made them aware of the possibility of it should they break a rule.

No need to insult everyone who didn't have reason to be aware of how strict the execution of rules was on here. They simply didn't break one.

Edited by Guest

I've been instah-banned once [via without warning] by some Sith Lord for telling some Chris2012 his unused alpha-channels were bad idea. As it turned out now 90% of modders use DXT5 and bring down the servers [via traffic].

Former banned member: Renegade1979.

Never bothered to submit an unban appeal, just created a new account.

Banned again.

-LM

Edited by LadyMilla

Something I was wondering about - I noticed the image gallery tools now have a delete button next to the edit button in the comments section for my uploaded images and only next to my own comments.

I cannot delete my own comments however with this button, (a message pops up saying "staff only") so what is the practical purpose for the button being visible to me at all?

EDIT - seems this button is for all comments/posts.

Edited by RaffTheSweetling

This will certainly help avoid situations like the one involving a certain mod maker in 2009. All of the mudslinging puts a stain on the Nexus, and on everyone involved. Hopefully the new policies will keep the site's reputation pearly white.

One suggestion, related to the locked threads created upon a formal warning being issued: in the spirit of fairness, could only the individual who has been warned be able to post ONE comment on the thread (obviously glanced at by the moderator to see if it is ranting/raving,) so that anyone taking a peak at it can see his/her account of the situation? I understand that the lack of being able to publicly declare one's side of a story is a major complaint about the current moderation system.

Anyways, none of the changes are really going to effect me (unless I end up making a mod with 1,000+ downloads,) as I don't plan on breaking any of the rules, but still, in the spirit of a stable, transparent community, I must say that many of the changes are pretty nice. xD Good job! :D

Thanks for putting together this clear and well-thought out explanation. It's great to see the reason behind some of the design changes. I look forward to seeing the new system.