PC games that have large scale battles

opij

Total War. Though you need a decent Rig to play it at good settings. good graphics plus the amount of units, puts some strain on the system....i havent played it yet (though i have it) as im waiting to finish my PC before i try it, but the reviews and gameplay videos ive seen are great!

Total War is always a good choice as hoofhearted4 suggested. If you want to participate in the battle yourself, try the Mount & Blade series.

Or, if you want something set in the modern era, try ArmA 2. Not the DayZ mod, that's a totally different animal :P

Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2. Unlike it's forbears, COD BO2 actually puts real effort into it's campaign, and the result's a pretty good story, told well. However, one of it's standouts are some huge battles, including one in which you're faced off against literaly the entire MPLA army.

Sins Of A Solar Empire. So many ships fighting that they resemble schools of fish, this sublime RTS space game does huge battles on an epic scale, with 500 V 500 starship battles being possible.

Supreme Commander. Readily available for cheap, SupCom does Large Scale in both senses of a word. Vast armies of equally vast robots, making war on scales that no other game I've ever played can match. Watching a 1000 VS 1000 VS 1000 VS 1000 armoured vehicle battles in full sterescopic 3D is something you will never forget.

Battlestations: Pacific. An excellent RTS hybrid game, this somewhat eccentric but beautifully made game features some enormous battles, with hundreds of aircraft and dozens of ships. Feels more like a war than anything else.

Birds Of Steel. Ever had a 64 VS 64 dogfight? didn't think so. Not only is BOS the best flight sim I've ever played, it's got some unbelievably vast battlefields, with hundreds of aircraft, tanks, ships, and so-on, an example being one which encompasses the entire Big Island of Hawaii.

MAG. Now essentially defunct, this game featured perhaps the biggest FPS battles ever attempted, however, due to other problems, the game failed to be a hit.

Battlestations: Pacific. An excellent RTS hybrid game, this somewhat eccentric but beautifully made game features some enormous battles, with hundreds of aircraft and dozens of ships. Feels more like a war than anything else.

might i add this, and Battlestations also have free Demos on steam. this intrigued me so im downloading them now.

also Battlefield 3 has 64 v 64 player maps. though ive heard, unless there are actually full teams of 64, the maps are so big that you can actually have trouble finding people. but if they are full, its prefect.

im just looking into planetscape 2 myself, looks epic and is free to play:D

PlanetSide 2

Edited by hoofhearted4

also Battlefield 3 has 64 v 64 player maps. though ive heard, unless there are actually full teams of 64, the maps are so big that you can actually have trouble finding people. but if they are full, its prefect.

Nope, it's the opposite. Maps were clearly designed for 24 players (consoles) so every game is just a massive cluster fuddle spam-a-thon... I'm serious lol

Nope, it's the opposite. Maps were clearly designed for 24 players (consoles) so every game is just a massive cluster fuddle spam-a-thon... I'm serious lol

thats just what ive heard, ive never played it. (though honestly if i do, im getting it for console. i CANT play shooters on PC)

As for battlefield 3 it depends on the Maps, the best vanilla Conquest maps for 64 player are Caspian Border, Operation Firestorm, Kharg Island, and Tehran Highway (Honorable Mention); on a side note Grand Bazaar and Seines Crossing are large scale urban maps that have a mix of infantry and armor. Most of the best maps come from the expansion packs Back to Karkand, and Armored Kill, Aftermath lands in December so waiting on seeing how those look.

But if you want epic large Scale battles try Planetside 2 which supports up to 2k total players per continent and currently there are three continents open with a fourth on the way late December early January. Current map sizes are 8km*8km which is 4km*4km larger then the largest battlefield 3 map, Bandar Desert (Armored Kill DLC).

• 2 weeks later...