BLOG PIECE: Kickstarter and the mini-revolution

Dark0ne

@ringgold99

"16 MHz? How did computers ever run so slowly?"

The Apollo's guidance computer was only 1.024 MHz. The Apollo missions, including the missions to the moon, used on-board computers with less computational power then a modern TI-82 calculator and the the room sized computers back in Houston were similarly minuscule despite their gargantuan size.

We can accomplish a lot more with human ingenuity and passion than we can with computer power. Kickstarter, and indeed Nexus and this modding community, are proof of that from my perspective. :D

@Dark0ne: Excellent blog post. I am glad that you are backing the Kickstarter gaming effort, both personally and professionally. The direction you are taking this site, leaves me feeling very optimistic about it's future.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool stuff. I agree that it's an investment. Not everything is about money returns. Investing is also when parents invest in their kids. In a sense it's like investing in art / creative direction. You want to see the proliferation of a certain kind of game so you invest in something money can't buy (at least right now). Edited by kostresa

@corrandk

What? Now I understand the moon landing conspiracy theories (just a joke in case no one gets my sense of humor). But seriously, I guess all that is possible as there were airplanes long long ago, but I wonder why we haven't colonized the planets and done lots more exploring if one can go to the moon on a calculator.

Great article. I especially appreciate the first half, where you discuss how out of touch many of the big players in the gaming industry are with the needs and desires of their fan base. You single out EA quite a bit, and that's fair, they've trashed some great titles in their time (the Ultima series, for instance, went down the drain pretty much the second EA acquired Origin), though they managed to redeem themselves somewhat with DA. Similarly, I feel that Bethesda has really dropped the ball with TES in recent years, pandering to a larger and larger demographic at the expense of the dedication to, and innovation of, the RPG genre that attracted their core fanbase in the first place.

Kickstarter is a great idea which has begun to revolutionize the video game industry... it's the gunpowder or printing press of the industry, so to speak - it's taken away the big corporations' monopoly on the means of production, and put it more directly in the hands of the people (I didn't mean for that to sound as politically-charged as it did, it just kind of happened :P).Hero-U, an old-school style RPG from Corey and Lori Cole, the makers of the Quest for Glory titles, recently achieved its KS goal and has entered production, which I'm hoping will help demonstrate to the big companies (and the little ones!) that there is still a market for story-driven role playing games. I strongly recommend any fans of the old Sierra games to check this beauty out... though the KS campaign may be over, they still have stretch goals they'd like to meet, which you can help with through Paypal donations (there's some decent rewards to be earned by donating).

Anyways, glad to see that the Nexus has so much support for the little guys! Keep it coming!

Totally agree with this post, its actually is really stupid on the part of big devs/pubs to not understand that,

1. The PC is the platform that will always be the most powerful, if they want to push the limits of game designing, it really can't be done on 9 year old hardware... if they wanna build for the future, the PC is the place where it HAS to be done.

2. No dev no matter how big can have more ideas than thousands of modders, how many mod ideas have made their way into TES? Heck Heathfire as far as I'm concerned was copied from a mod!

The world has changed, the industry is not about selling a disc and counting the cash, its about building a community, a relationship, building trust, then you sell not just one disc but you also build an audience for every other game you make...

@Shrutesh

2. No dev no matter how big can have more ideas than thousands of modders, how many mod ideas have made their way into TES? Heck Heathfire as far as I'm concerned was copied from a mod!

Good point, but the example is not true. ;)

Edited by Zaldiir

@Zaldiir: Ah well I remember using "Build your own home" before I even heard of Heathfire lol... my bad :P

Oh and am def throwin my lot in with Sui Generis, it looks cool, will be my 2nd Kickstart after StarCitizen!

Edited by Shrutesh

unfortunatley this still isn't the promised land I hope for dvelopers, with this developers are still tied to sombody elses demands, what sombody else thinks the game should be, and I don't think fans are any better than publishers, every body screams for something different and original, until you try something different and original, then they *censored* about how it's not like this or that other game

and the only projects I've heard of getting major success from this are either developers that are well known or long dead franchises being resurected, unknown properties are still faced with the same pitfalls they've always faced: getting noticed, fans or publishers, theres no difference there, just a different set of games getting all the funding

I want to see a world where game developers have noone to answer to but them selves, and nothing to be true to but the game the're makeing, publishers, fans, modding, investors, money, all of it be damned; ARTISTS IN CONTROL OF THEIR ART AND NOBODY ELSE

until then it's just the same slaves and different masters

But Kickstarter backers have no rights whatsoever, other than what their pledge rewards says they get. They're not investors, they're donators. They have no power over the developers in any way. The only thing they can do is provide feedback, but the devs can do whatever they want. They are fully in control.