BLOG PIECE: Kickstarter and the mini-revolution

Dark0ne

Great article about crowd sourced funding and the potential it has in re-invigorating PC gaming.

Also hope your article helps Sui Generis in its final push to reach what looks like a fund raising goal that is going to be just a little too much though I really hope I an wrong!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great article - Thanks for sharing! My Daughter has been involved with Kickstarter in the past and contributed quite a large amount to a particular game. As a result the game got way more funding than it asked for and development is underway at a great pace. As a result of her investment my Daughter now is in constant communication with the games developers and is even involved in running their Facebook page!

I was really interested in the Sui Generis game you featured, so I clicked via your link on to the Kickstarter site and read all about it. Wow! The game looks awesome! The video presentation is fantastic! As a result, I have now pledged to the game development!

There are only 3 days to go and the game is over £50k short so fingers crossed people from here might help support a very exciting looking game?

Edited by SoulMasterII

One should start the series from X2: The Threat otherwise there'd be a lotta questions about whatta hell is going on around here with all those pinkos flying here and there trying to provoke a pro-Soviet uprising prabably.

@Benrahir there's only one such mix, The Precursors, although space part would need much more radiant quests and stuff. Indie studios y'know [via lacking quality of ME]

Edited by Renegadeof79

I gave money to Wasteland 2. I think Kickstarter is pretty awesome, BUT we gotta keep our wits about us! Publishers have already begun asking developers to raise money on kickstarter first and then they'll publish them......Publishers suck.

Sui Generis... Yep, that's for me!

I chipped in £20, which is all I can justify right now, what with dental work on the horizon... But it looks absolutely awesome.

I LOLed when the big troll thing pwned the dev though... I could almost feel the crushing blows of that flail! Was surprised he lasted as long as he did, honestly.

I sure hope there's a stealth class, because that melee looks harsh!

Thanks for the heads-up on Sui Generis. It reminds me a great deal of Project Offset (small team, surprisingly advanced tech), except this time we can help instead of just watching the project get buried. The Kickstarter phenomenon is exciting indeed.

Just a thought.. Can anyone mention any kickstarter project ending up in a promised product? ever?

Well I pledged to "The banner saga" ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga?ref=live ) and while the single player isn't done it, they have currently released a beta version of the multiplayer that I got to download from steam.

Sui Generis in its current state looks like what I envision the dev state of Baldurs Gate 3 will look like. Based on the pitch videos, it looks like it will have some serious modding potential and could even be a god game like civilization at the speed at which they terraformed the maps. They have a lot to work on but I think that they will get there. They have more content in their pitch video than Project Eternity did in theirs( none at all) and Obisidian did pretty well getting funding with that one.

We might be adding another Nexus slot in the next 18 months for this one^^.

-Natterforme

Sui Generis in its current state looks like what I envision the dev state of Baldurs Gate 3 will look like. Based on the pitch videos, it looks like it will have some serious modding potential and could even be a god game like civilization at the speed at which they terraformed the maps. They have a lot to work on but I think that they will get there. They have more content in their pitch video than Project Eternity did in theirs( none at all) and Obisidian did pretty well getting funding with that one.

We might be adding another Nexus slot in the next 18 months for this one^^.

-Natterforme

lol, I think that even double fine had even less info than project eternity, and they were the ones who started the whole current kickstarter trend for games (they got $3,336,371 ). Even though they basically just said "we want to make a new adventure game... of some kind. Havn't worked out the details yet..:"

(here is their old kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure?ref=live )

For project eternity we know at least some of the classes, races and setting (if very abridged)

Just a thought.. Can anyone mention any kickstarter project ending up in a promised product? ever?

I can one-up that..."Girl With a Heart of..." failed its kickstarter goal...and still released the game.

And for successful kickstarters with a released product...There's "Project Giana", "Unemployment Quest", "FTL", "Guns of Icarus: Online", and "Code Hero" ...and those are just ones that I have backed.

And directed at the OP, yeah "Wasteland 2", "Shadowrun Returns", and "Project Eternity" didn't offer much on their initial kickstarter page...but they have provided a decent bit afterwards. Now if I didn't know who Brian Fargo, Matt Findley, Jordan Weisman, Tim Cain, Feargus Urquhart, and Chris Avellone were...I probably wouldn't have donated as much to their projects with the amount of material they had initially shown.

And remember, the thing about kickstarter is...you aren't buying a game, movie, book, painting or dinosaur-shaped-coffee-maker...you are giving people money to pursue their dream...sometimes they fail...sometimes it's not as great as everyone expected...but at least they got do do something they couldn't have otherwise.

Edited by jediakyrol