Help trying to troubleshoot my load order

mpkross

Hi all!

I'm having some issues with Fallout 4 crashing to desktop after a few minutes of game play. I suspect it's due to "Sim Settlements: Conqueror", as it's still doing the settlement build process.

This is my first time working with the Vortex Mod Manager, and I haven't installed any other tools yet. I was hoping for just a Sim Settlements play-through with very few other changes and some weapon mods. I don't know if I'm missing some step or something, it's been a while since I've played FO4, and I didn't want to get too many mods on.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start New Game

2. Configure Sim Settlements: Conqueror with default settings.

3. Build Character with Start Me Up dialog.

4. Wait for ~5 minutes. (I don't really leave the cell or engage in any combat or gameplay)

5. Crash to Desktop.

Load Order:

Fallout4.esm

DLCRobot.esm

DLCworkshop1.esm

DLCCoast.esm

DLCworkshop02.esm

DLCworkshop03.esm

DLCNukaWorld.esm

DLCUltraHighResolution.esm

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

PANPC.esm

SimSettlements.esm

WorkshopFramework.esm

RussianAssaultPack.esp

SurvivalOptions.esp

3DNPC_FO4.esp

AGNISNikaCola01.esp

Eli_Armour_Compendium.esp

Some Assembly Required.esp

W.A.T. Minutemen.esp

SimSettlements_XPAC_Conqueror.esp

Some Assembly Required(Legendary Patch).esp

3DNPC_FO4Settler.esp

ABundleofTape.esp

DOOMMerged.esp

AtomicRadio.esp

SimSettlements_XPAC_IndustrialRevolution.esp

SimSettlements_XPAC_RiseOfTheCommonwealth.esp

StartMeUp.esp

1. Don't use Vortex

2. Unofficial patch breaks things

3. Sim settlements may be the one as they need a specific order. Best check out the mod pages for info.

4. Don't use DLC high res pack

Edited by AeonsLegend

1. Don't use Vortex

2. Unofficial patch breaks things

3. Sim settlements may be the one as they need a specific order. Best check out the mod pages for info.

4. Don't use DLC high res pack

Really? No Unofficial Patch, huh?

It's really been a while since I've modded Fallout, but I don't remember ever not having it.

I'll try taking out the unofficial patch and High Rez DLC.

I did also look at the SS mod pages when I downloaded it, since I expected something a bit more involved, but it just said download and install and some general incompatibility issues. I'll give another once over, though.

What do you recommend over Vortex? Is there any specific reason to avoid it?

Vortex is buggy with loading and unloading mods. You're better off using a more stable mod manager until Vortex becomes ok to use. I use NMM myself. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Here's some info on Sim Settlements and the load order: https://www.reddit.com/r/SimSettlements/comments/79j817/setup_guide_for_a_sim_settlements_themed_load/

Vortex is buggy with loading and unloading mods. You're better off using a more stable mod manager until Vortex becomes ok to use. I use NMM myself. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Here's some info on Sim Settlements and the load order: https://www.reddit.com/r/SimSettlements/comments/79j817/setup_guide_for_a_sim_settlements_themed_load/

Vortex definitely does NOT have any problems loading mods; in fact, NMM is most notorious for this. I don't know where you got the information that Vortex is buggy, but it is simply not true. Nor does the Unofficial Patch break things. If it did, then tens of thousands of people would have problems with it, and that's definitely not the case.

MasterGlink, you'll find there's a fair bit of people advising not to use Vortex for various reasons. However, not a single one can provide concrete evidence of their claims. The fact is that 99.99% percent of problems people have with Vortex are because they either didn't do their basic due diligence in learning how to use it, or they tried to use it like they would NMM and got frustrated when they realized that they're two completely different programs.

Nevermind, this is not the right place or time.

Vortex definitely does NOT have any problems loading mods; in fact, NMM is most notorious for this. I don't know where you got the information that Vortex is buggy, but it is simply not true. Nor does the Unofficial Patch break things. If it did, then tens of thousands of people would have problems with it, and that's definitely not the case.

MasterGlink, you'll find there's a fair bit of people advising not to use Vortex for various reasons. However, not a single one can provide concrete evidence of their claims. The fact is that 99.99% percent of problems people have with Vortex are because they either didn't do their basic due diligence in learning how to use it, or they tried to use it like they would NMM and got frustrated when they realized that they're two completely different programs.

Oh...joy.

I can see this thread going to hell, right now. Now starts the debate over Vortex. :dry:

Why ya wanna come into a support thread, in a support forum, and start throwing around comments to instigate folks?

Oh...joy.

I can see this thread going to hell, right now. Now starts the debate over Vortex. :dry:

Why ya wanna come into a support thread, in a support forum, and start throwing around comments to instigate folks?

I'm sorry, you're right. This is not the place for such a discussion.

I've not used Sim Settlements. Nonetheless, one of the things that scared me off from it is something you seem to be experiencing.

Although I do not agree with UF4P being problematic, I have learned that when installing large mods that change a ton of things, it's best to check for incompatibilities. There is likely a patch or two you will need from Sim Settlements to run it without issue with other big mods. Best to buckle in and do some reading on the Sim Settlements page. Or bravely ask a newb question in their discord channel :)

What specs are you running on your PC?

And, if it helps, this is an alternative to using the High Res DLC. I've found it to be a wonderful, nowhere near as resource heavy, alternative.

Vivid Fallout - All in One: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25714