Throw Voice Bugs / Followers Insults

stereonpl11

Hi,

Today I noticed a bug I had never seen before with my follower : as soon as I talk to him, he uses the "throw voice" insults and say "Hey melon nose" "Skeever butt" etc.

I did not really care at the beginning, but now it's getting annoying and I would like to know if there was a way to fix this, or to find the reason.

I'd be grateful for any suggestion.

Hi InuyashaFE,

Thank's for your answer.

No, it is not concerning Marcurio the wizard of Riften but a own follower that I created with the Creation Kit. I checked and the problem doesn't occur with Marcurio. By the way I am not using the Amazing Follower Tweaks.

I looked a bit over the web, I find a lot of people reffering to this bug, yet I can't find a proper solution to fix this. Some say this is because of the AFT indeed, but this is not my case then.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I have a similar problem. I think it happened due to my cloning of the main character. I created a clone and used the console to give it "player.setrelationshiprank 4", "setrelationshiprank 4" and "addfac 5c84d 1". I also gave him some boost in confidence and aggression with the "setav confidence 4" and "setav aggression 3" command lines. He kept talking to me in throw voice lines, but when I talked to him he would say some normal lines as to respond to the "Talk" command.

After I enjoyed my clone for a couple quests, I simply got tired of having a follower (it keeps happening to me during my gameplay =P) and told him to stop following me. Funny result, the game displayed the message "You follower leaves your service" and then he became hostile and attacked me (OMG, my greatest enemy really was my own self!) I killed him and marked him for delete with "markfordelete". Ok, he disappeared and my life was full of joy from there on.

Then, I started a new character and played it until Balgruf gave me Lydia as a Housecarl and she simply started using the same throw voice that my clone used all the time, but also mixed in her normal speech sometimes. Not even calling her into following me solved the issue.

Don't know any fixes, but what happened to me may give you an idea on how to solve it, maybe.

Edit: Okay, I have some news. I just realized that the problem with Lydia is actually a symptom of a problem with Proventus Avenicci. He doesn't display the option for buying Breezehome even after killing the dragon. Therefore, Lydia can't display her dialogues as housecarl. What triggered this problem remain a mistery to me...

BTW, my Skyrim has only the enchantable itens add-on.

Edited by roodneyfb

• 7 months later...

Apologies for necro-ing, but I have just come across this problem. Proventus doesn't offer Breezeholme even though he's supposed to. (killed dragon etc.) Lydia calls me skeever-butt in a weird sounding, far-off way, indeed like Throw Voice. Have you found a fix yet?

I AM using a lot of mods, by the way, but hopefully this is simple to fix. Not using any follower tweaks or mods btw.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone ever solve these problems? I have searched high and low for a fix to this same throw shouts insults bug. I copied a character that didn't have this problem, didn't change a thing except his complexion and the clone has the insults bug. PLEASE....has anyone got the solution? Its clear the NPC is drawing a blank on lines like "Yes, My Love" and instead spits out the insults. But why would a clone copy of the original behave differently. Is there a way to repair the missing dialogue?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for the necro but I'm having this issue too. Marcurio insults me all the time using throw voice lines... It's super annoying and breaks the immersion. I don't use console commands but I have some mods could that be it? I have looked all over and tried the few (bogus) solutions I have found but nothing works...

At one point I deleted my save and started over but now that I'm at level 29 it started glitching again for no apparent reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the necro but I'm having this issue too. Marcurio insults me all the time using throw voice lines... It's super annoying and breaks the immersion. I don't use console commands but I have some mods could that be it? I have looked all over and tried the few (bogus) solutions I have found but nothing works...

At one point I deleted my save and started over but now that I'm at level 29 it started glitching again for no apparent reason.

In my humble experiences these problems are rarely solved in any way tha we laymen can understand. It always involves some complicated BS that few casual players can understand. I just use mods.. I cannot edit files, I cannot create mods, I have no idea how to freaking fix this faction bug. My game has the Lydia voice bug and cannot buy breezehome problem I am just going to accept that no one has any idea how to explain how to fix this in terms that we can understand. I will just have to buy a new house and use a companion mod. Lydia is hardly the sexiest companion out there! :D Plenty of good mods have better companions. Then of course you could always go with Serana if you don't like companion mods.

Edited by Illuminated888

• 1 month later...

I posted this on the steam workshop help boards and thought it would come in handy here too so hear it goes...

This may be a thread necro for a dead thread but a friend of mine had this very issue recently and said he could find nothing on how to easily and properly fix the issue online and referred me here as one of the things he tried.

After reading the replies to this and the extent to which people have went to fix this rather minor issue (you'll see what I mean in a minute) I felt obligated to resurrect this from the dead to help any others who can't find an easy solution and so I'm posting it here.

The problem isn't with a mod or anything else like that in most cases, the issue is actually the papyrus engine itself which is not the most stable engine in the world and has it's issues (such as glitches, bugs, etc).

What is happening is that when a mod is installed/removed or an NPC changes factions (becomes a follower, spouse, etc), or dies when not supposed to/glitches/is resurrected via console, etc their faction is sometimes changed to the player faction by the papyrus engine.

This means that they are considered the player for the purpose of shouts/actions/etc, and their default speech is being switched over to the player's dragon shout ability "throw voice" and is calling this ability whenever their speech is to be called (this can happen intermittently).

To fixing this issue is actually quite easy. Simply open up the console by hitting the ~ key on the keyboard, then left click on the affected NPC and type the following:

addfac DB1 -1

Then hit enter and close the console by hitting the ~ key on the keyboard again.

This will remove the affected NPC from the player faction (which is not the follower's faction so no worries on loosing your follower as the player faction is supposed to contain only the player and none other anyways).

And viola! you should now be able to interact with said NPC and no longer get any odd dragon shouts that don't belong to them.

So you see this issue really is a minor one and is easily fixed.

Unfortunately, there isn't much documentation on some console commands, the papyrus engine, or a lot of the fixes for them, but if you need any console commands or information for such you can find more at:

http://www.mmo-game.eu/cheats-and-console/

or

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

And lastly when using console commands remember that any console ID's typed in (such as DB1) that have preceding 0's (in this case 000000DB1) that you do not need to type in all the preceding 0's (only the ones after a number or letter must be typed in) to call the script as the preceding 0's are dropped by the papyrus console engine anyways so it's pointless to type them all in.

I hope that anyone else who experiences this issue and is searching for a fix for it can easily find this and that it makes your life much easier.

Good luck and happy gaming,
Zeth.