Why We Don't See a 3/NV Remaster

ashtonlp101

Either way I'm pretty sure Bethesda owns the rights to all of that content. You don't give a sub-contractor that kind of leverage.

I was under the impression (possibly incorrect) that Bethesda owns the rights for those assets for that specific game. Using them in another game would probably require an additional payment of some sort (royalties or whatever). I could be wrong though. This is based on a vague and possibly incorrect memory I have of reading something long ago about the issues from porting assets from one game to another (FO3 to FNV).

Either way I'm pretty sure Bethesda owns the rights to all of that content. You don't give a sub-contractor that kind of leverage.

I was under the impression (possibly incorrect) that Bethesda owns the rights for those assets for that specific game. Using them in another game would probably require an additional payment of some sort (royalties or whatever). I could be wrong though. This is based on a vague and possibly incorrect memory I have of reading something long ago about the issues from porting assets from one game to another (FO3 to FNV).

Ya and some of the assets from Fo3 made it into FNV while others didn't. So it would seem there is something up with that. But even if/with Beth having full control over all the assets. I can see why they don't want mod creators using them like a buffet to dish out in mod content where some user did not purchase said content.

Honestly for Beth's future vision , I don't think they have FNV and 1, 2 fans wants in mind.

Obsidian made the new assets for NV in-house. (Sawyer talked about this somewhere either on Tumblr, Twitter, or the now defunct Springforum.)

Bethesda had a company called Liquid Development make most if not all of the assets for Fallout 3, judging by the very general screenshots they have on their portfolio page.

OP is correct in that the biggest, likely only thing standing in the way of a port/remaster is that the games would need to be remade entirely. That's an especially big issue for NV. They'd need a team to spend a year just researching what is even in the game that needs to be translated.

Or you build a new custom engine that feels almost entirely the same to work with, minus all the bugs and limitations, like what the folks over at OpenMorrowind are doing.

(I mean theoretically you could "remaster" the games on the old engine, maybe even add new graphical effects since they have the source code to work with, but that would invariably a very underwhelming product, even before considering the potential "Bethesda Factor.")

That's really interesting I had no idea Beth hired a 3rd party contractor to make asset for FO3.

honestly, imo it would never work that way. thing is, remember how crap New Vegas launched back then? you know with glitches, bugs, CTD etc etc. imagine how was the experience without NVSR, FNV mod limit fix, 4GB patch, etc etc? it's in a horrible state back then and we know it wasn't Obsidian fault, or might be since the agreement paper that they can do it in this deadline or I don't know who's fault was it but doesn't matter.. point is, if Bethesda want to remaster the game, they need to play test the game, understanding the game, and learn all core concept of NV. yes, it would require such an effort to remaster NV into new Creation Engine and might take a long development process but hey, this is bethesda which are bigger than Obsidian. but problem is, I doubt that bethesda developers or even todd howard even plays FNV. remember how terrible the game was back then with CTD bugs glitches etc etc? sure right now we had all the necesseary tools and mods that already make the game better now but, yeah it don't work that way. I couldn't imagine they would play FNV almost to completion, or plays more than 1 playthrough just to see how vast the choice & the consequences are in FNV, and it's proved with FO4 that betheda don't learn anything valuable from FNV, man how shameful I'm back then was hype like nobody thinking FO4 gonna be good lol man..

Edited by harimau93

honestly, imo it would never work that way. thing is, remember how crap New Vegas launched back then? you know with glitches, bugs, CTD etc etc. imagine how was the experience without NVSR, FNV mod limit fix, 4GB patch, etc etc? it's in a horrible state back then and we know it wasn't Obsidian fault, or might be since the agreement paper that they can do it in this deadline or I don't know who's fault was it but doesn't matter.. point is, if Bethesda want to remaster the game, they need to play test the game, understanding the game, and learn all core concept of NV. yes, it would require such an effort to remaster NV into new Creation Engine and might take a long development process but hey, this is bethesda which are bigger than Obsidian. but problem is, I doubt that bethesda developers or even todd howard even plays FNV. remember how terrible the game was back then with CTD bugs glitches etc etc? sure right now we had all the necesseary tools and mods that already make the game better now but, yeah it don't work that way. I couldn't imagine they would play FNV almost to completion, or plays more than 1 playthrough just to see how vast the choice & the consequences are in FNV, and it's proved with FO4 that betheda don't learn anything valuable from FNV, man how shameful I'm back then was hype like nobody thinking FO4 gonna be good lol man..

Do you remember how buggy:

FO 3 was?

FO 4 still is?

Skyrim LE was?

Skyrim SE was?

.... IF we went by this argument - FO 4 should have never happened and the jury is still out on that. Obviously FO 76 is a bomb and should have never happened.

. o O ( Just saying ... )