Debate over the Sandy Hook shooting

colourwheel

One sided? That is quite presumptuous statement to make concidering I myself own a concealed firearms licence yet advocating for meaningful gun reform. Also This debate is not about concealed weapons. please stay on topic.

topic: Debate over the Sandy Hook shooting "Will this lead to extreme change to gun laws in america?"

This is a debate about gun laws in America, and the information I posted was relevant. All of the "reform" has been shifting toward expanding gun rights, even in some of the most Liberal States in America. Previous shootings in the past like Sandy Hook didn't even so much as put a speed bump in the way of expansion of gun rights.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a debate about gun laws in America, and the information I posted was relevant. All of the "reform" has been shifting toward expanding gun rights, even in some of the most Liberal States in America. Previous shootings in the past like Sandy Hook didn't even so much as put a speed bump in the way of expansion of gun rights.

This thread is about "change" to gun laws in america. I fail to see how this type of "reform" relates to Sandy Hook shooting. Concealed weapons is not the problem in America.

How is this expansion to concealed weapons meaningful reform to gun laws over the recent Sandy Hook shooting?

Edited by colourwheel

How is this expansion to concealed weapons meaningful reform to gun laws over the recent Sandy Hook shooting?

Because if the teacher in that classroom that got shot up had a gun, then its likely none of those kids would have died. Official reports say gun shots were heard over the intercom, so plenty of warning was given for someone to be able to grab and prepare a firearm for self defense, if they had one in their vicinity. Teachers are permitted to carry firearms in my county, providing they have a permit, and get permission from the principal. This actually happened after a student brought a gun to school and threatened some people.

Edited by Beriallord

Because if the teacher in that classroom that got shot up had a gun, then its likely none of those kids would have died. Official reports say gun shots were heard over the intercom, so plenty of warning was given for someone to be able to grab and prepare a firearm for self defense, if they had one in their vicinity. Teachers are permitted to carry firearms in my county, providing they have a permit, and get permission from the principal.

You don't know if the teacher in that classroom had a gun none of the kids would have died. Most likely the teacher was shot 1st without even a the slightest bit of warning. The event happened in under 3mins. Though shots were heard over the intercom everything happened so fast even one teacher with a gun could have not even made the slightest difference in outcome.

I've already made the arguement why it's not a good idea for teachers to have guns in schools but i will repeat it for you...

Honestly hiring minimum waged armed guards is better than hiring minimum waged armed teachers with no uninion rights. Just imagine a teacher one day flipping out over a bad day at work and suddenly deciding to shoot up the place. :psyduck:

But I am not in support for armed guards in schools either.

I agree something needs to be done but putting more guns in school is not going to help if "anyone" can flipout and start on a shooting spree. just the idea alone putting more guns in schools into the equation does not make the chances of shooting any less, it just puts more gun in schools... :facepalm: If you ever been a teacher I know for fact some teachers can have mental breakdowns over just trying to control their students in the classrooms.

Edited by colourwheel

@HeyYou just imagine someone trying to geo tagged on a map how many guns destroy lives. That map would probably be fully covered with tags where you couldn't even see the USA.

Reguardless I don't think you could ever be convienced to fall behind any meaningful gun reform. So the debate is kinda getting pointless between you and me...

Edited by colourwheel

@HeyYou just imagine someone trying to geo tagged on a map how many guns destroy lives. That map would probably be fully covered with tags where you couldn't even see the USA.

Reguardless I don't think you could ever be convienced to fall behind any meaningful gun reform. So the debate is kinda getting pointless between you and me...

In the overall scheme of things, ILLEGAL guns take more lives than they save, that I will fully agree to. But, LEGAL weapons have saved more lives than they have taken. (suicides aside.... if it wasn't a gun, they would find some other method of doing themselves in....) The trouble comes from wanting to regulate LEGAL guns..... it does all of nothing for the ILLEGAL guns..... See my point? Reducing the population of guns in general would be an EXTREMELY long term ploy, and by the time it started being effective, there would be some newer, better way to kill your fellow man......

You are correct, after a fashion. I don't see it as "reform", I see it as taking away my rights. Which, in the end, is what you are attempting to do. No matter how you approach, your end goal is fewer guns. Not 'fewer illegal guns', just, fewer guns..... I will never get behind that kind of 'reform'.

Since the Sandy Hook Shooting there has been 409 reported deaths related to gun violence in the United States. Reguardless if they are legal or illegal guns, you really think more guns is the answer to this problem our nation faces? Edited by colourwheel

Right now looking at the new makeup of the 113th congress a majority of the republican congressional party a lot of them are from the south and very much in high favor of advocating to protect gun rights. Concidering the recent national political discussion surrounding the Sandy Hook incident, If Congress doesn't some how push meaningful legislation to fundamentally change gun laws in america the Republican party is looking at being a huge minority in congress next cycle.

Seeing that congress couldn't even draft up any legislation to deal with The fiscal cliff that could pass, I doubt they could even draft up any meaningful gun reform. (and they are being pressured for gun reform)

I have a feeling no matter how the people in congress stand on this issue of gun reform the Republicans in office have not much of a choice but to try to pass Dianne Feinstein legislative proposal of banning assault weapons concidering the low approval rating congress already has, unless they just wish to be out of a job next cycle.

Politics have a weird way of swaying away fundamental ideology despite their actaul feelings or beliefs.

Even if Dianne Feinstein legislative proposal of banning assault weapons doesn't get through congress this cycle it's almost definitely going to pass in 2 years from now when all those ideological stubborn teaparty advocates are thrown out.

Edited by colourwheel