torches are impossible to find..

Tru3blu3

I am not sure if this is a mod problem or a Skyrim patch problem but this is my second play through and I am level 15 but have only managed to find ONE single torch..

When I first played back when the game was v1.0 I remember torches spawning in barrels, chests, bodies.. shops etc and I had more than enough always.

The only mods I can think that could affect the torches in this way are the unofficial patch + DLC sub-patches, but there doesn't seem to be any complaints about this on the mod thread and nothing in the mod change notes seem to suggest doing anything like that with torches so I don't know if it is a Skyrim problem or what..

The rest of my mods don't touch items as they are all texture/lighting/UI mods and Convenient Horses, Quality World Map.

Please tell me this isn't normal... its annoying the hell out of me as I have the Realistic Lighting mod so everything is much darker and casting a light spell every 60 secs as a warrior class is ridiculous. Plus I don't like it.

Please advise.. and if nobody knows then I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to use TES5Edit to find out which mod is messing with torches.. I know vaguely how to do it for FO:NV..

Cheers

Edited by true_blue

I don't have any idea about this, but you should post your mod list if you think it's a mod. That said, there are tons of dungeons with hanging torches, and don't most NPCs have torches at night? If you found one of them mauled by a bear or something/someone else...

If you just want to find a torch, the mine near Riverwood has a billion of them.

Well I found one in Riverwood at the very beginning of the game.. think it was in the Barrow whatever its called..

But not a single torch since.. even when killing a guard etc. None in the shops either.

Active Mod Files:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  HighResTexturePack01.esp
05  HighResTexturePack02.esp
06  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp
07  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp
08  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Reduced Weight).esp
09  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp
0A  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp
0B  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Half Weight).esp
0C  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (PseudoVanilla).esp
0D  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp
0E  dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
0F  Convenient Horses.esp
10  NonEssentialChilds.esp
11  Better Dynamic Snow.esp
12  dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
13  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.2.5]
14  Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
15  Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
16  WATER.esp
17  Realistic Lighting - Dawnguard Patch.esp
18  Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
19  SkyNotebook.esp
1A  Better Skill and Quest Books Names - BS.esp
1B  UnreadBooksGlow.esp  [Version 1.5.3]
1C  Realistic Lighting.esp

I can't see anything there that could affect torch drops myself but maybe you can..

Cheers!

I don't have any idea about this, but you should post your mod list if you think it's a mod. That said, there are tons of dungeons with hanging torches, and don't most NPCs have torches at night? If you found one of them mauled by a bear or something/someone else...

If you just want to find a torch, the mine near Riverwood has a billion of them.

Ok well I added some torches via the console and I can equip them, drop them on the floor and add them to a container and they act normal.

They just don't seem to spawn/drop naturally like they are supposed to..

Anyone know how I can find the cause of the problem? For New Vegas I used a tool which showed what mods are changing a specific item or quest/ character. Does TES5Edit do the same?

Cheers

Open all of your plugins in TES5Edit, right click in the left pane and choose "Apply filter for cleaning". I think you're looking for plugins that alter LItemTorch05 or LItemTorch50, but I'm not sure. They could also alter records that reference these, or I could be off by a mile. Edited by MShoap13

ARGH! If ye want some torches ye better be a murdarah argh! Kill those Thalmor patrols or imperial patrols! They be carryin the torches! Just be sure to kill all the witnesserers too argh! Ye dont want a bounty on yer head

Problem solved! Argh! Yarr har har!

Edited by Bjornheim

Thanks guys for all your replies.. even the silly one! :P

MSHoap I will definitely try that soon.. hopefully there is something there I can easily disable!

Bjornheim - I appreciate your post but as I said earlier, people don't seem to drop them. Have killed quite a few Thalmor because I despise them and also some Imperial guards and town guards just to test and didn't get a single torch.. so something is wrong.

Rabbit - Yeah apparently some torches you find don't expire but most do.. you were probably lucky enough to find one of the unlimited ones! There is some info about this on the wiki : http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Torch_%28Skyrim%29

"Torches found in mines seem to have an unlimited duration. By selecting "activate torch sconce" a torch is added to the inventory. From there, the torch can be equipped for an extended duration."

So I went and found a Mine and sure enough there were about 24 torches on the sconces and looted every last one hehe.. but I still think something is wrong if they aren't dropping in any containers or people.. I am level 19 now so I think we can rule out it being just bad luck.

Is it possible that the game files are corrupt even though I have verified game cache? Should I just delete all the BSA files and re-download everything?

Will have a shot at the TES5Edit first though.. but any further suggestions are appreciated!

EDIT: Found out Realistic Lighting is modifying lighttorch01 and took a pic for you.. http://i45.tinypic.com/dz620.jpg

Not sure if its the problem but have disabled it anyway and am gunna go play for a while to see if the torches start to drop properly.

I doubt it is the problem because its such a popular mod and can't find any other complaints about this.

Couldn't find anything similar to LightmTorch05

Will return when I have tested..

Cheers!

Edited by true_blue

Couldn't find anything similar to LightmTorch05

LItemTorch05 or LItemTorch50

These are leveled item lists. L-Item-Torch. They're searchable in the EditorID Box.

You found the actual record for torches themselves (or half of it at least).

Realistic Lighting is probably not causing torches to not drop.

Edited by MShoap13

while i've only used a torch once in Oblivion and never in Skyrim because i always use Candlelight and a custom Night Eye spell but if your ok with using console commands then just bring up console by pressing ~ and type player.additem 1d4ec 100 (this won't fix why there's no torches spawning in your game but that code will give you all the torches you need)