Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

@Amineri, johnnylump

I'm looking to use Peasly Wellbot's "Remove Death Animation Delay" fix with Long War, but I'm not too familiar with hex editing upk files. Can I use toolboks to do the edit, or am I better off editing the XComGame UPK manually?

The instructions for doing the job manually are:

If you want to do it manually, find "97 01 AA 91 00 00 25 16" and replace with "96 01 AA 91 00 00 25 16".

Would making this change screw with LW? Is there maybe a better way to do it?

Thanks!

Also, please consider incorporating this mod into a later version of LW. The death animations in EU were perfect. The delay looks really strange and clunky, and I have no idea why EW did it.

Edited by Thuraash

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the hex change goes through, and it only occurs in one place in the file, it shouldn't mess with Long War.

Feel free to let us know if you encounter any bugs with it -- or not. I've read there was an issue with ethereal deaths (maybe just with the Kinetic Strike Module?) but it's unclear how severe it is. If it's not present or very minor, we could certainly add it.

I don't know why the programmers did it either, and that's why it worries me -- that it has a legit reason for being that way.

Edited by johnnylump

@johnnylump:

The change went went through fine. I've only run it for a day, but based on what I've seen it's a very positive change to the game experience.

There are a couple of issues, though:

1) When the game takes a slow-motion cut, the aliens will do their death animation at 1x speed. This looks strange.

2) On shots where the camera cuts from the shooter to the target upon the target's death, it feels like it does it more jarringly than it did in vanilla, as though it interrupts things too soon, when the first bullet hits the target. I'll have to fire up vanilla EU tonight to compare and see if it felt that way in vanilla. Will follow up with the results.

Those were the only issues I've spotted so far.

Since you lot know the game's inner workings far better than anybody (not counting the developers), I thought you might be able to resolve the inconsistencies. The other (mildly nuclear) option is to get rid of the slow-motion cuts, or, if possible, make them all play at normal speed. Maybe there's a better way to do it than the change Paisly Wellbot made?

On the whole, I think you should check it out and consider integration, the above bugs notwithstanding. If that's the extent of the problems, I would consider this a very small tradeoff for getting rid of the awkward pre-death animations. Aliens not awkwardly twitching and finishing their coffee before falling over hugely improves the experience.

Edited by Thuraash

Can anyone tell me at what point during a campaign the Base Defense mission is triggered in Long War?

According to the XCOM wiki:

"Base Defense always takes place 2-3 weeks after you've assaulted the Alien Base"

I haven't even researched the Skeleton Key yet and just had my a$$ handed to me on the Defense mission. 4 cyberdisks in the 2nd wave completely wiped out my team as they can't make a dent in the armour.

Can not equip Railgun even for the Mec 2 Defender and the Grenade Launcher does not upgrade to Alien Grenades. There really needs to be more Alien Alloys in the first half of the game as it's a constant struggle to move at the pace the game demands with the upgrading of enemies. You don't get a decent amount until your strong enough to take out an alien base or Abductor size ship..which as you know...is a very very long time. Tactical Rigging really does need to be achievable earlier and a lot cheaper. it is merely extra webbing after all and it's a man-made idea that has nothing at all to do with alien tech.

All of this was in my 9a game so most likely crap now. Just installed latest. Love the overwatch symbols, very nice.

Edited by ElementUK

Guy i have a silly problem.
Every mission i start, my soldier start with 1 or 2 HP toggled by default :(
if i had to have, for example, 6 HP, i start with 4, and so i have all "random damaged" lol.
I dunno how to fix that, if i can say it.
i'm using long war 3 ew beta 12, the file that's downloadable right now :)

Same problem as Nohant with the lowered hp's and the upk fix did not make a difference to my saved game. Do we have to restart the campaign?

Additional: It didn't come into effect until the next mission but thanks guys. Latest version is sweet.

Edited by ElementUK