Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

Understood and appreciated. I knew it was a long shot, but figured it was worth a try. And yeah - with a mod this size making it customisable has to be a nightmare. I'll see if DGC-modding can take the edge off the sting, because your mod has a ton of stuff I REALLY love. Not sure I'm a huge fan of extra accuracy, though. One of the things I love about XCOM's tactical gameplay is the manoeuvrability aspect, keeping enemies pinned down as you move from cover to cover and flank them. First time I played XCOM, I basically shot all my enemies through cover and they shot me back. I hated the game and thought it was a bad remake. Second playthrough I made it a point to never shoot through cover unless I really really had to, using flanking instead and it worked a treat.

I'll see if there's another way to mess with that. Now that I'm done with my own kludge modifications to DGC, I have some more confidence in dealing with that. Thank you for the response and for the awesome mod :)

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a problem reviving downed soldiers. I stabilize them. I'm told they can be revived but when using the health kit I'm told they need to be stabilized. When I then go to stabilize them (again) I'm told they are already stabilized. It's a kind of Catch-22 situation. I'm using b10 of the LW mod. I'm not sure it's a mod problem but I've never run into it in vanilla.

Edited by ElYanqui

I'm afraid we really don't have the resources to modularize the mod or maintain multiple versions with different feature sets.

I'd just recommend playing normal - not-so-long-war - cinematic mode, and editing DGC.ini to your tastes.

Can the difficulty be adjusted in the ini-file ? Or have you guys hardcoded the settings (criticals, chance to hit, damage etc... ? ) I'm like Steelrook, I really would love to play your version of the game, but it's too frustrating for me as casual player...

hello o/

I have litte problem with missing arc thrower.

Every time i equip it to my scouts, they don't have it during the mission. No probllem with assaluts for example, they always have it. So, is it bug or just long war mechanic?

I'm playng Long War 3 EW Beta 9.

Can the difficulty be adjusted in the ini-file ? Or have you guys hardcoded the settings (criticals, chance to hit, damage etc... ? ) I'm like Steelrook, I really would love to play your version of the game, but it's too frustrating for me as casual player...

Yes, there's a ton of difficulty-based settings in the ini file.

And Cinematic +NSLW SW options are geared for the casual player.

ello o/

I have litte problem with missing arc thrower.

Every time i equip it to my scouts, they don't have it during the mission. No probllem with assaluts for example, they always have it. So, is it bug or just long war mechanic?

I'm playng Long War 3 EW Beta 9.

It's a big we've fixed in more recent Betas.

I believe a workaround is to put the Arc Thrower in your first small item slot.

I just thought I'd give an update on how the Long War mod is put together and just how many changes there are.

Johnnylump and I use UPKmodder (the tool that XMTS and I developed) to mod and manage XCOM to create Long War. UPKmodder works with modfiles that have a .upk_mod extension, and are roughly similar to the old Toolboks custom mod format. Each modfile specifies what XCOM package file it is to be applied to, including GUID info to help with compatibility across patch versions, and the particular function or object within the package file to be hex modded. It includes a copy of the vanilla hex (in the BEFORE section) and the modded hex (in the AFTER section).

UPKmodder has some project-level management which is pretty important for us on Long War as it's grown in scope. Modfiles can be organized in folders and subfolders within a project. A project or subfolder of a project can be tested, applied, or reverted. Testing checks to see whether the modfile is applied (i.e. is the upk's current hex vanilla or mod?). Apply/Revert either applies the mod hex or reverts to vanilla.

So we do have functional features of the mod broken down as much as possible. The problem is that it's not uncommon for two different features to end up changing the same file. When this happens the two functional features overlap and would require hex tweaking to separate again.

The last time I did a modfile count on Long War, (yesterday), the total modfile count was 1249 modfiles. Now, this is my development version, which means I have a folder for test/debug code (29 files). I also maintain copies of modfiles that have been deprecated, or things I've tried but haven't gotten working, so not all 1249 files are actually essential to the current build. I'd estimate that there are roughly 900 to 950 separate modfiles that go into the current beta 11 Long War build. It's definitely grown compared to Long War EU v2.12, which had roughly 300 different hex changes (back then we didn't have UPKmodder)

@ VM

Follow the troubleshooting steps, which are available in four different locations on this site and in your download.

@ XW

The solution is on the mod page, discussions tab, Beta 12 feedback. This thread is meant for technical discussions of the mod.