.ini tweaks gone real bad

Sucrilhus

I was INCREDIBLY stupid... but yeah... I tweaked my .ini files without backing up.

And my game became bugged... the main problem was that every time I opened my inventory or a chest, my skyrim would freeze for a few seconds.

I decided to make a fresh install then... I deleted all mods, unistalled my game completely, and after that I deleted "....steam...common/skyrim " and "my documents/mygames/skyrim " folders.

I then reinstalled my game entirelly... and reinstalled my mods...

But somehow this problem persists...

Oh God ...

Please, some kind person out there help me... what can I do to fix this? Not even a full resinstalling solved this issue.

Edited by Sucrilhus

I don't think this is caused by any of your .ini tweaking.

If the chest you're opening, or your inventory contains a huge amount of items, the game freezes or slows down for a moment in my experience.

Edited by Raygereio

Do you normally play through the SKSE launcher or the steam one? Have you verified the file cache?

Try moving some items from your inventory and see if it still happens. Also, when you open the chest, is there an unholy amount of stuff in there for some reason?

Edited by Cait833

Raygereio,

I had started an entire new game. When I opened the chest to get the very first set of armor in Helgen, it took seconds freezing, so it isn't the amount of items involved.

Cait833,

I used to open through the SKSE laucher, until I started using ATTK (Which by itself activates SKSE too). It has been ages since the last time I open directely through steam. I also did the "verify integrity of file cache", but for no avail.

I guess I'll just format my entire computer then hahah... oh wow....

I don't know if it was the tweaking... but I didn't have this problem until today... the very day I decided to tweak stuff by my own.

Edited by Sucrilhus

Other menues too. Even the "Favorites" menu.

It's weird... I've been using SkyUI and Categorized Favorites for months and never had any problem with them. So I think it isn't their fault.

I don't use any other menu/interface mod beside those 2.

Edited by Sucrilhus

If you mess up your ini files, simply delete them. New ones with default settings will be created next time you launch the game. No need to reinstall.

Try temporarily removing any "*.swf" files from your "DATA/INTERFACE" folder and see if that improves the menu operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Delete everything in your Skyrim folder but TESV.exe ... anything else you want to keep pull out for a bit. Go to steam and verify your data. This will rebuild your entire Skyrim back to stock ... Delete/or move your .ini's and start the Skyrim launcher. Change a few options and exit. That should rebuild your .ini files. If not, there are many ways to get a new .ini file online. Or you can use mine My shadows post. ini files are the download You will have to change your GFX card entree, but it's a real good start.

Put your mods back in and you should be fine. Unless one of the mods is incompatable with another.

Edited by Jason2112