what is the functional difference between "save all changes" and "use newer file"

acidzebra

Tannin42,

Let me make sure I understand what is happening. When I change, delete or install a mod I sometimes (but not always) get the "Saved, Revert, or Use new file" message. I have usually been choosing "Use newer file", not because I know what the hell I am doing - it seems like the right choice. I have noticed after restarting the game, some of my game tweaks (using mods like ESGO, AMM, FriendlyHUD, etc) have reverted back to the default values and I have to reset them again.

Soooo, when I get the "Use Newer file, saved file, or revert" I wanna pick the one that will NOT revert my mod tweaks back to the original values. Which one should I pick? Or is the one you pick dependent on whether you installed a mod, deleted a mod or changed a mod?

Thanks

SAVE

The description of what each option does is right in the popup.

You'll only ever see that popup when you edit any of the ESPs so on the next Deploy Event it will notify you of this.

I routinely edit about 90% of my ESPS

Yes, there is a description but it uses "technical terms" like "staging folder" and I am not sure what the word "revert" means. Also, it would be nice if it told you something like, "By hitting save, any changes you made to mods in the game will not be changed by adding a new mod". That way I will know that my mod changes will be saved. Just needing a little more explanation in laymen's terms.

Revert means to put things back the way they were BEFORE any Change.

Pretty much the only people who use "REVERT" use it by mistake.

The Staging Folder is the Mod Staging Folder where your mods are unarchived and placed into folders where the links are made to your Game Folder

How-Mod-Managers-Work-15-pct.jpg

Tannin42,

Let me make sure I understand what is happening. When I change, delete or install a mod I sometimes (but not always) get the "Saved, Revert, or Use new file" message. I have usually been choosing "Use newer file", not because I know what the hell I am doing - it seems like the right choice. I have noticed after restarting the game, some of my game tweaks (using mods like ESGO, AMM, FriendlyHUD, etc) have reverted back to the default values and I have to reset them again.

Soooo, when I get the "Use Newer file, saved file, or revert" I wanna pick the one that will NOT revert my mod tweaks back to the original values. Which one should I pick? Or is the one you pick dependent on whether you installed a mod, deleted a mod or changed a mod?

Thanks

SAVE

The description of what each option does is right in the popup.

You'll only ever see that popup when you edit any of the ESPs so on the next Deploy Event it will notify you of this.

I routinely edit about 90% of my ESPS

Yes, there is a description but it uses "technical terms" like "staging folder" and I am not sure what the word "revert" means. Also, it would be nice if it told you something like, "By hitting save, any changes you made to mods in the game will not be changed by adding a new mod". That way I will know that my mod changes will be saved. Just needing a little more explanation in laymen's terms.

Revert means to put things back the way they were BEFORE any Change.

Pretty much the only people who use "REVERT" use it by mistake.

The Staging Folder is the Mod Staging Folder where your mods are unarchived and placed into folders where the links are made to your Game Folder

How-Mod-Managers-Work-15-pct.jpg

OK. Thank you. So, I should always use "SAVE" when I get the "save, revert, newer" message IF I changed a sertting in my game AND I want my changes to hold up after installing a new mod. Is that right? So does that mean "newer" means I want the NEW mod settings to override the old mod?