Does anyone still play Oblivion?

Lehcar

Hell yeah still playing Oblivion, was late to the ES party with WoW being my first "computer game", before that it was strictly playstation and nintendo for this guy. But finally I decided I needed some stimulation other than WoW, Skyrim was fixing to be released at the time, and Dragon Age 2 had just been released. Dragon Age: Origins ended up being my first undertaking but then immediately after that Oblivion, that was about a year ago. After a few weeks of playing Vanilla Oblivion I decided to get all the eye candy, immersion, and utility mods possible that didn't "change the game" and, even tho I have taken small breaks throughout this last year (as well as having my original playthrough completely break to a point of no saving, literally) I am still rolling through Oblivion guns-err, swords- a'blazin, bows actually just as much since I'm part marksman this play. I REFUSE TO TOUCH SKYRIM, even install it, until I'm completely done with my first playthrough of Oblivion. I'm far from the only one still playing also, as you can see, and there's still a good bit of modding that comes out here and there for it as well, thank goodness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the middle of a game right now. Was playing Skyrim for a few months, but I don't use Steam and can't get the Skyrim DLC, so I went back to mods for Oblivion. I guess its Oblivion; I've got a full blown FCOM/OOO install and 88 other mods, so its not quite vanilla. It's still fun for me, but I've played it so long that there isn't much challenge left; I have to self-nerf my characters to keep it interesting.

Oblivion is my favorite TES game. Morrowind was good, but in a different way. Skyrim has a lot of potential but engine bugs plagued modders early on and it still hasn't lived up to it's potential. (There may be good mods on Steam, but I'll never see those.) Oblivion and the Nexus are the best game choices I've ever made.

Well I'm still regularly playing the big O, though not as intensely as when I first got it. There are still aspects to this game I haven't yet explored, such as DB or Thief's Guild (I'm usually a good guy) plus loads of high-end mods yet to be tried. And when it comes down to it, it's just a nice place to ride around checking out the scenery. With Unique Landscapes I'm still finding knock-out new views and places I haven't seen before.

I doubt I'll bother with Skyrim -- the whole Steam thing puts me off. Steam + Valve games was OK, but that's as far as it goes pour moi.

Guest deleted829424

Unlike the other responses in this thread, I'm play Oblivion not for it's "better" systems or whatever, but because of it's settings. Whilst it's true that the quests in Skyrim are a little more shallow than the ones in Oblivion, I'd be quite happy if the'd take the system of Skyrim and plonk it into Cyrodill.

Oh yes! Doing another play. I have 200+ mods, with Francesco's being my main overhaul. And will be installing Kvatch Rebuilt again after the Main Quest. I did not quite finish Kvatch Rebuilt the last playthrough before deciding to reinstall and change a few mods. There are also a few other mods, after the Main Quest is finished, that I want to play. Also this go round I got rid of Screen Controls and Effects and instead went with OBGE version 3. I am enjoying this visual goodness much better. Love the God Rays, SSAO and Sharpen.

I have also just barely started to play Skyrim. Downloaded the Nexus Mod Manager, finally anted up for a Premium account and have been downloading mods like crazy. Never played Morrowind or Oblivion vanilla version style. And there is no way in hell that I am going to play Skyrim vanilla. Just too many damn good mods out there.

Oh and I am also playing Daggerfall through Dosbox, also still have it installed on a Windows 98 system. And no, I will never, ever play any kind of MMO Elder Scrolls. I hope the Elder Scrolls MMO bombs and fails miserably in every facet. I want Bethesda to keep doing single player RPG games for other settings in Tamriel. By playing the great mods that the modding community has put out for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, that is how I get multiplayer into the Elder Scrolls. I want to keep my Elder Scrolls games a personaized single player gaming experience with my choice of mods. A personalized game that you just can't get playing MMOs. If I want to play an MMO, I will try something else.

After not playing for a few months, I decided to fire up my Oblivion game and see if I could finally start the main quest. Thanks to Arthmoor's Alternate Start mod, I have a 23rd level character from about 160 hours of game play, and I still haven't bothered to go see what the big deal about this Amulet is. XD Might just start over (again) due to the game having glitched on me, as well as finding some new mods to add to the mix. I expect I will be playing Oblivion on and off quite frequently for some time to come. :)

Actually I haven't played for a year or so. Mostly for two reasons,

First, the Viconia mod screwed my video. I think I have found a way around it if needed. (IT was on the entry into the Underdark, which was lsd grade psychedelic). But it took me a while to figure out a possible tactic.

The second was that I upgraded my computer, twice. Went from xp to vista to w7. Tried V again and could not get the mods sequenced right.

I have upgraded again to w8 and am getting ready to return to the fold and try V again, but taking the time to reinstall, rematch and futz around has slowed me down. (Each upgrade has been a new machine.)

I think O and Dao are the two best around right now. I have done skyrim and several mmos. So I will be home Real Soon Now.

Just started up Oblivion again after throwing ~400 hours at Skyrim over the last year. Skyrim has vastly improved game mechanics (combat and magic are much more interesting, perk trees are great, etc.) but I'm starting to prefer the other aspects of Oblivion. I like the setting, and the quests are excellent, lower tech notwithstanding. Oblivion also feels less "contrived" for me - more like an open world and less like a "theme park"-ish game. To each their own, of course, but I'm glad I came back to Oblivion.