Does anyone still play Oblivion?

Lehcar

The Oblivion nexus seems pretty dead ever since Skyrim came out.

Though I like all the new stuff in Skyrim, I really don't like a lot of the retconning they did, and there's a lot of things I miss about Oblivion...

Anyone still playing? I'm thinking of trying to rebuild my old game from scratch and play again, since I lost all my mods when my old hard drive crashed.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not currently playing Oblivion, and I just cannot get into Skyrim, but I will be back to Oblivion when my current games are no longer fun.

Quite a few people playing it, judging from the official forums. Mod development has slowed, but certainly not stopped. We've even had a big quest mod of significant quality come out lately--look at Lanceor's post, above--and others with patches.

After a single play through of Skyrim I went back to playing Oblivion. The mods are more comprehensive and have more variety - part of that is due to the age. I refuse to even begin modding Skyrim until after they stop releasing new DLC content and have a version that isn't likely to destroy any mod I make with an incompatible update.

I do think that Beth spent too much time trying to redesign the wheel for Skyrim - why change things that didn't need changing - like the base appearance of many things that carried over from Oblivion. And almost lost me as a player with their lame xbox style user interface. Only the Sky-UI made it playable at all.

I totally agree with you on that one. I hate all of this console-ising going on with games lately, PC games can be modded, which is a hugely important thing to me, hence why I don't play console games anymore, only PC.

For me, the amount of changes they made to the setting and the story really grated me. The fact that they continue to make High Elves villains is getting really tiresome; the majority of antagonistic characters in Oblivion were already High Elves, so this whole new thing with the Thalmor is just... bleh. Mind you, I think elves ROCK and I'm glad they're taking over again, but heck, I think making them entirely antagonistic just kind of ruined it. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/down.gif

Also, I really hated how they heaped the calamity and misfortune on the poor Dark Elves. They made the extremely awesome Dunmer into basically gypsies, and destroyed the entire setting of the third TES game! That's just.... aaaack! I don't like this!! http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif

And the Dark Brotherhood! And the Mages' Guild! Really, WHYYYY!!! Those were the two most awesome guilds in Oblivion, and they wrecked both. Especially the Dark Brotherhood, the best damn guild EVER. I hate this stupid retconning. They made it so the efforts of the player in Oblivion were all for nothing. I hate that so much.

I miss Sithis, and my loving Night Mother. At least they brought my sweet sexy incredibly amazing Lucien Lachance back, but that didn't help the whole Brotherhood storyline very much. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif

I still play Oblivion. I broke my install yesterday, but today I'm reinstalling.

It's not that I don't like Skyrim. But the removal of spellcrafting, portable alchemy and the dumbing down of gameplay is something I can't really look past. In Oblivion, there are enemies that require tactics to beat. Look at trolls or ghosts. Ghosts are immune to melee weapons unless they're silver, while trolls regen faster than you can hurt them without fire. Those are great features that really give a sense of "real" fantasy in Oblivion. It reminds me of high fantasy books that I used to read.

Not only that, but combat in Skyrim is required. They removed all the non-combat skills like athletics and acrobatics, and they stripped down the alchemy and non-combat magic. In Oblivion you can wander for hours without focusing on combat, which is one of the things I love about it.

So the short answer is, yes, I still play Oblivion. I use several gameplay changing mods, like P-froggys Climbing and Open Cities.

Edited by Rennn

There were quite a few things I preferred in Oblivion over Skyrim that made me choose Oblivion PC over Skyrim PC such as the natural beauty of the landscapes as opposed to the rugged terrain of Skyrim, the Imperial City, and because I always watched youtube videos featuring things like Deadly Reflex that I could never do on the X-Box. My first week or so was stocked full of downloading and installing mods and trying to fix errors but now Oblivion's just crash-happy and I'm satisfied with my time spent playing so I haven't played in quite a few days; just a toy to fiddle with I guess. Other than that I have my hands full to modding the classic Resident Evils and one cannot have two majors without overwhelming himself.