Does anyone still play Oblivion?

Lehcar

I played Oblivion a few days ago as I finished the quest of a nice quest mod. It was one of the mods I downloaded in 2011 but never played until now. Now it's even more fun to play the game because there are mods like Vibrant Weather available now which give Oblivion a new and better visual look, so that it can compete with its sequel.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since i get this "nostalgia wawes" i tend to reinstall my favorite games (reinstalled morrowind 2 yrs ago). The thing is, when I install them, I feel like I must have EVERYTHIG i wanted for them, every single mod i see that I like, everything... The result - more mod checking than playing

but really, morrowind may be done (still looking at new mods) but Oblivion is alive and worth playing... Lots of new mods that improve gameplay are there, and just so you have a goal other than roaming aroind, there are like 20 epic quest mods that you would be a fool not to try

The mere fact that any mod I try to use in Oblivion pretty much crashes the game immediately coupled with the dated animation and visuals lessens my enjoyment of the game. I've tried to get into it twice and just found myself completely unable to do so. I don't like the look of the characters either. I'm sure there's a ton more to do, but I couldn't get past the graphics, and trying to improve that makes the game no longer work. So, no Oblivion for me.

The mere fact that any mod I try to use in Oblivion pretty much crashes the game immediately coupled with the dated animation and visuals lessens my enjoyment of the game. I've tried to get into it twice and just found myself completely unable to do so. I don't like the look of the characters either. I'm sure there's a ton more to do, but I couldn't get past the graphics, and trying to improve that makes the game no longer work. So, no Oblivion for me.

i see what you mean with the characters look (i actualy prefer morrowind pre-made face selection than the oblivion face generator)

well in case you ever get inturested in trying out again, do it the lazy mans way

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_pHj0dQg6a6azhsNUtaMG1MR2s

when you run the install program, theres no reverting back, but since youre not currently doesnt matter

the most stable and complete compilation pack made so far (includes FCOM)

Edited by Executor64

I've played Skyrim for a couple of weeks but it got dull very quickly and I returned to Oblivion instantly. I really didn't enjoy Skyrim, The world wasn't very interresting, It could've been if they executed it better than they did. The visuals are really one sides towards trying to look dirty and "more realistic" I think they should've changed that. Really, speaking from experience, If you've been to windhelm you've been to every city because there's barely any difference... The world itself doesn't have any colors either and the combat system is really biased in favor of melee. After I finished the main quest and the faction quests I stopped. There really wasn't sneaking involved in neither the dark brotherhood nor the Thieves guild and that really shows that this game was aimed for the casual gamer, that and the overhyping trailers/first gameplay they made, Those really felt out of place even the first time I saw them.

I've played Skyrim for a couple of weeks but it got dull very quickly and I returned to Oblivion instantly. I really didn't enjoy Skyrim, The world wasn't very interresting, It could've been if they executed it better than they did. The visuals are really one sides towards trying to look dirty and "more realistic" I think they should've changed that. Really, speaking from experience, If you've been to windhelm you've been to every city because there's barely any difference... The world itself doesn't have any colors either and the combat system is really biased in favor of melee. After I finished the main quest and the faction quests I stopped. There really wasn't sneaking involved in neither the dark brotherhood nor the Thieves guild and that really shows that this game was aimed for the casual gamer, that and the overhyping trailers/first gameplay they made, Those really felt out of place even the first time I saw them.

Agree :)

dont get me wrong its a very good game, and I undersatand that the skyrim province is harsh, but they made this "game of thrones" feeling when your're playing it

(everyone's dirty, the landscape is brutaly realistic and not like Morrowind for example, THE KILL CAM i mean come on xD)

its a very gore-rich brutaly realistic game where death means almost nothing - great for creating game of thrones mod or something but not very elder scroll-ish

I got bored as hell with Oblivion two years ago. Not even mods like Nehrim cured it. Now I have it installed again, along with Skyrim and Morrowind (I'm 47 and play all three, guess that makes me a kid at heart :P). I have a bit of gaming ADD (as well as regular ADD) so I keep all of them on my pc at all times to save myself the trouble of reinstalling.

dont get me wrong its a very good game, and I undersatand that the skyrim province is harsh, but they made this "game of thrones" feeling when your're playing it

(everyone's dirty, the landscape is brutaly realistic and not like Morrowind for example, THE KILL CAM i mean come on xD)

its a very gore-rich brutaly realistic game where death means almost nothing - great for creating game of thrones mod or something but not very elder scroll-ish

I think that's what I liked about it. I love the gritty feel of Skyrim, the grimness beauty of the world. And I love that it feels SO much like Game of Thrones. Despite all the magic and dragons and other races, it had a very real-world feel. It felt somewhat grounded. I loved the feeling that there was an entire history at work here and the world went on with or without you. I don't know about Oblivion, as I've got MAYBE 8 hours invested, total, but Skyrim felt SO character centric. Having basically NO experience with Elder Scrolls series, I can't really comment on whether or not it's "elder scroll-ish", but if the Elder Scroll series is that radically different...I have to wonder if that's something I'd like.

Also...I love the kill-cam.

Edited by SarinGlave

I got bored as hell with Oblivion two years ago. Not even mods like Nehrim cured it. Now I have it installed again, along with Skyrim and Morrowind (I'm 47 and play all three, guess that makes me a kid at heart :P). I have a bit of gaming ADD (as well as regular ADD) so I keep all of them on my pc at all times to save myself the trouble of reinstalling.

story of my life, well except my life is half as long lol :happy:

well if nehrim didnt spark up any intrest i can immagine the fed up-ness

perhaps projects like morroblivion and skyblivion, hell i even seen total conversions of erotic nature...

although i assume skyrim has both morrowind and oblivion map/quest mods made so yeah a man could try beating the morrowind story in skyrim engine bet that would be inturesting

I think that's what I liked about it. I love the gritty feel of Skyrim, the grimness beauty of the world. And I love that it feels SO much like Game of Thrones. Despite all the magic and dragons and other races, it had a very real-world feel. It felt somewhat grounded. I loved the feeling that there was an entire history at work here and the world went on with or without you. I don't know about Oblivion, as I've got MAYBE 8 hours invested, total, but Skyrim felt SO character centric. Having basically NO experience with Elder Scrolls series, I can't really comment on whether or not it's "elder scroll-ish", but if the Elder Scroll series is that radically different...I have to wonder if that's something I'd like.

Also...I love the kill-cam.

Well i love games like skyrim a lot, i like game of thrones and i love the kill cam (i wish it was there in many other games)

I love games like skyrim

Now i have a problem with skyrim, because Morrowind and Oblivion brought you to a new fantasy setting, with plants and creatures that you never seen, but it also felt real, you were grounded in that world's limitations and customs, and it felt awesome... And now you are in a middle age viking land :huh:

Morrowind has sooo many lore, you need to beat the game twice to get it, that lore has been the backbone of the entire franchise. And like in skyrim, its not about you until the revelation youre the chosen one

Also, i hate how they just took the basic fallout 3 mechanics for NPCs in skyrim... I said it before and i'll say it again: i reject to not be able to speak to every single NPC about multiple topics!

i end my mini rant now

Edited by Executor64