Someone playing STO?

Paxan_1

idk, but STO sounds like a pretty interesting game, and F2P. im not a Star Trek fan in the least (literally never seen an episode) would the game still be worth trying out even for a non Trekkie?

I tried it for a while... I'm not a trekkie, and I never got into it. It's interesting though. If it'd been the same thing, but with Star Wars instead of Star Trek I'm sure I'd still be playing it. I just can't get into a Star Trek setting personally...

would probably be the same for me, since im a SW fan not a ST fan.

I'm a major Trekkie but I'm still umming and ahhing about whether I want to commit to this. What sort of tamefrime would I be looking at to get to the endgame in STO?

I'm a pretty big Trekkie myself, but I couldn't seem to get into this game. I'm not a huge fan of MMOs, so I guess that doesn't help haha. The space combat was pretty interesting though.

I'm a major Trekkie but I'm still umming and ahhing about whether I want to commit to this. What sort of tamefrime would I be looking at to get to the endgame in STO?

Leveling is actually pretty quick. You could get to endgame within about 1-2 months of occasional play (3-5 hour sessions). It does however take longer than that to know what you're doing and figure out how to equip and use a ship properly, but atleast theres a few months of more content waiting after you get to that point, in addition to fleet actions and building wealth.

The Klingon side however can take reasonably longer to level through just because you don't have the population advantages in regards to some areas.

I played long enough to buy the second size of ship (one step of hull above the tiny starting ship), and it was fun. Definitely worth what I paid for it, considering it was free to play. ;)

However, the glitches in large Borg battles and the occasional crashes kind of put me off. I'd rank it as one of the funner MMO's that I've played thanks to the action-based combat and actually fun ship combat. As a whole, I just don't like MMOs very much, though.

STO is a great game, lots of stuff to do, community authored missions are down right awesome. And also being F2P game you can get most of the stuff with in-game currency, and that is much much more than other so called "F2P" games give you. Most F2P games have limitations on what you can buy with in game currency, in STO that restriction is very low. That's why I love the game. Truly decent game if you are a trekkie. Probably only decent Star Trek rpg game ever made.

Hi all,

thanks for the answers, had helped me a lot :)

I like the game, flying around, killing some guys, doing missions and following the story. At the moment i try i get lvl 40, so i can have a Sovereign Class. I prefer the big ships even i'm a science officer, these ships a real tanks so you can fly right into enemy ships. Havent died since i have my Galaxy for more than 5 times :biggrin:, not like at the beginning, 5 times in one battle ;).

Btw, for me the advantage is you dont need to play it MMO like, you can play it as a single player, but i like the PVE events. Kicking some Klingon asses is fun :devil:

A pity you cant colour your ship pink :unsure: , black is okay.

Edit:

Timeframe:

I needed around 3 weeks to a lvl 38 Captain and i dont play that much. Play the story and some PVE events and you can lvl in a healthy way. You are also getting used to the way the equipment works. I'm playing only by myself, so no fleet, no powerleveling aso.

Sarah

Edited by Paxan_1

no powerleveling aso.

The only thing particularly close to powerleveling are fleet actions (not related to fleets, just multi-group pve) like the gorn minefield, breaking the planet, mirror events, where you can kill many ships or earn exp from just participating and doing partial damage to help your team. And then Special Task Force (STF) missions once you're high enough.

But really, you level extremely quickly just doing some of the episodes or from some of the daily tasks, so a month or two of playing to get to max level isn't too hard.

Well, you are right. You are getting a lot of experience by doing the PVE events, i prefer the Klingon scenarios, also the gorn minefield. What i like in this is jumping right into them, firing up all my "science" stuff and see them explode. One of my favourite is the photonic fleet ;). Nice to see some ship appearing for your help and you stay in the middle :biggrin: . In the first place i tried these missions to earn dilithium, i was curious whats inside of these boxes you get. Well, not really worth it, only got duty officer packs. Okay they are useful too.

But you can also level quick with the standard missions. My next step is the Sovereign, i think i will stay with that ship for a while. I use tetryon banks with a nice 30%+, i can destroy anything. Another thing i discovered, the smaller vessels are trying to be around me, i always try to help them with their shilds and my technic team. I have one of these really powerful shild, it has up to 6000. Hard to get it down ;), with my other stuff getting them up immediately my ship is nearly invulnerable :biggrin: .

Btw Vagrant, if you are there, watch out for a blond female in a pink free time dress called Faye (Sarah), its me :laugh: