[WIP] New Vegas Bounties Update

Guest deleted2159825

Guest deleted2159825

All,

I suppose this is as good a time as any for a weekly update, so here it is:

- I continued polishing the new worldspace, Canyon Cove.

- I Implemented three civilian families who reside in Legion territory. The player can have some interesting interactions with them.

- Doc Friday is now good to go, with companion wheel functionality and improved AI. I've also added dozens of new lines that should add depth to his character, along with scripted commentary on the player's actions and quest progression.

- I also began work on Russell, the former Desert Ranger. He is turning into an interesting companion.

- I Continued testing and revision of overhauled dungeons, particularly the Shadow Company Bunker. The damn ceiling turrets were giving me fits, so I simply replaced them all with grounded equivalents. Otherwise, the dungeon has turned out nicely, with more options for stealthy/nonviolent players to circumvent a bloodbath.

- I finally added a proper re-texture of "The Penetrator" (Charlie Halfcocked's AM Rifle).

- I wrapped up the quest "The Last Laugh", which features a bounty on a cannibalistic clown. It is a change of pace compared to most bounties, featuring a multitude of traps and puzzles in lieu of non-stop violence.

I'm quite eager to resume work on Firebase Zulu, so I'm working to get this rolled out within the next month, though quality and stability are the priority. Thank you for your patience and support - I'm the wait for Zulu will be worth it.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted2159825

After getting a number of inquiries about voice acting, I went ahead and posted most of the new VA roles for NVBII (in the first post). PM me if you're interested - samples are appreciated!

Sorry if I missed your post on these 2 topics, but I got to ask:

#1 : Are you planning on adjusting boss fights? For example, I understand Red Bear's skill with Knife is supposed to be unmatched but hand to hand combat feels a bit over the top. (he knocked me down in 1 hit even though I had Stonewall o.O . Needless to say, he proceeded to kill me before I got up)

#2 : Are ambushes gonna be reworked or will people still pop ''out of thin air''? I noticed you refrained from those in The Inheritance, so I'm curious if you'll be implementing it in NVB 2.

Guest deleted2159825

Sorry if I missed your post on these 2 topics, but I got to ask:

#1 : Are you planning on adjusting boss fights? For example, I understand Red Bear's skill with Knife is supposed to be unmatched but hand to hand combat feels a bit over the top. (he knocked me down in 1 hit even though I had Stonewall o.O . Needless to say, he proceeded to kill me before I got up)

#2 : Are ambushes gonna be reworked or will people still pop ''out of thin air''? I noticed you refrained from those in The Inheritance, so I'm curious if you'll be implementing it in NVB 2.

1. Yes, but only to a limited degree. Dueling Red Bear is manageable, provided your character is high-level and built for combat. Otherwise, bring a silver tongue or a squad of companions. I might dare to say that some of the bosses will be more challenging in the expansion.

2. Yes, very much so. I'm touching up or revamping almost every single ambush in the mod, with strong consideration for improving performance (stronger, less numerous attackers), and trying to minimize the chance of an NPC being enabled in view of the player. Prime examples are the ambush by Lobo (I halved the number of NPC's), and the Fiend attack near Mt. Charleston (moved all the NPC's out of sight - they converge when the player hits the trigger, running a true ambush package).

Guest deleted2159825

All,

Thanks to all the community members who've jumped in to help out with voice acting. We'll have some familiar personalities returning (The_Yellow_Dart, Reebdoog, Jase180, Anothernewdawn, etc.), as well as some fresh talent (TBA), so I'm thoroughly excited to see and hear the end product.

I wanted to make an announcement regarding my new companion, Russell. As I continued toying with his biography and dialogue, I came to realize that he should be cut from NVBII, for the following reasons:

- His depth of character warrants a separate plugin.

- Doc Friday is the companion for NVBII. Guts is a fun addition, but not terribly deep as far as companions go.

- Some players may enjoy a new companion that offers a rich, enjoyable questline, but don't want to use NVBII due to personal tastes. I'd hate to deny community members a novel experience because it's tied to a mod they dislike.

- Russell's quest centers on the Fredonians and the Desert Rangers. Therefore, it will most likely require Honest Hearts, and I don't want to suddenly saddle NVBII with new dependencies.

What I haven't decided is when to produce Russell's quest. It would be a rapid project (No, really. Really!), especially since I would be voicing Russell (he will not sound like Steven Randall). However, I am dying to resume work on Firebase Zulu, so much so that I've postponed some of the expansion content for later updates and/or NVBIII. Any thoughts? Would you like to see me crank out a companion mod in April (in addition to the updates), or would you rather see me jump straight into Zulu? I'm rather torn on the matter.

Almost all of the quest content for the NVBII expansion is wrapped up. Right now I'm wrangling up actors and organizing scripts. Beta testing should begin soon.

Lastly, the major piece of negative news involves the expansion itself. It looks as if the new version of NVBII will not work as an update, but will necessitate a new playthrough due to some scripting and design adjustments. You may very well have to replay the conclusion of NVBI to ensure NVBII gets started. I'm sorry for the trouble this may cause, but take my word for it - the ends more than justify the means. It's going to be a brand new experience for players, and I'm terribly excited to share it with the community.

If you have questions, complaints, praise, etc., don't hesitate to post away here. Thanks for your ongoing patience and support!

I think separating Russel is great idea, and I'd love to see him in April and wait longer for Zulu. We need some male representation in the companion department, and Niner, while well-done, just isn't my cup of tea. A Desert Ranger is right up my alley, considering my weakness to gritty, post-apocalyptic rogues who wander and try to do the best they can in their given situation. Good stuff.

I've been postponing New Vegas playtime so I can start a fresh character with a bunch of new mods, including your refurbished NVB I and II. I think having to start over from scratch is perfectly acceptable, especially if NVB I will also be a refined experience.

Yeah sure, if you need to rethink Russell's introduction, we trust that there are good reasons for this.

I would say that moving him to one of your other upcoming quest mods (Zulu, The Message etc.) would be a better idea rather than an additional new mod just for him, but that's just my opinion.

Guest deleted2159825

Yeah sure, if you need to rethink Russell's introduction, we trust that there are good reasons for this.

I would say that moving him to one of your other upcoming quest mods (Zulu, The Message etc.) would be a better idea rather than an additional new mod just for him, but that's just my opinion.

It crossed my mind, particularly with Zulu. However, there is already a companion written for Zulu (not yet implemented), named "Dallas", who's a charismatic cannibal the player meets en route to the Firebase. He's... unique.

As for The Message... maybe, though that's a pretty solo affair, given the narrative.

I'm much more comfortable with worldspaces and LOD now, so part of Russell's quest could involve a trek through the Sonoran and/or Altar Desert. We'll see. Russell's politics might be a challenge, as he is vehemently anti-Legion (he was enslaved as a child when his tribe was assimilated), but also opposes the NCR in principle (he refused to acknowledge the Ranger Unification Treaty). He has a brother in the Legion, though, so it's complicated. You'll see. ;)

It crossed my mind, particularly with Zulu. However, there is already a companion written for Zulu (not yet implemented), named "Dallas", who's a charismatic cannibal the player meets en route to the Firebase. He's... unique.

As for The Message... maybe, though that's a pretty solo affair, given the narrative.

I'm much more comfortable with worldspaces and LOD now, so part of Russell's quest could involve a trek through the Sonoran and/or Altar Desert. We'll see. Russell's politics might be a challenge, as he is vehemently anti-Legion (he was enslaved as a child when his tribe was assimilated), but also opposes the NCR in principle (he refused to acknowledge the Ranger Unification Treaty). He has a brother in the Legion, though, so it's complicated. You'll see. :wink:

That sounds great.

Sidenote, for new worldspaces taking place a distance from the main Mojave, could you add in a passage of time with the loading screen like they do with Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road? It just adds a little to the experience. I usually like to have travel and other things take realistic amounts of time when I play, even to the point that I will simulate with the wait screen. Perhaps a little crazy, but I don't know. It adds to my investment.