Help for new guy

bjeet

Hello, I've recently installed Oblivion.....old game DVD I never installed. Can anyone tell me which patches I should download to the fix the many bugs. Also is there any good mod about rebuilding Kvatch and any companion mods? Exploring in Oblivion feels awfully lonely after having Lydia following me around in Skyrim. :mellow Edited by bjeet

Sorry Hickory ... got to disagree on the companion. Get Companion Vilja (you will never want a CM after you've experienced Vilja).

I agree entirely, but as I said, companions are legion, and not everybody will find Vilja to their taste, and it's unfair to rule out every other companion for a new user asking for help, no?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Vilja looks good, I'm downloading it now. The Kvatch Rebuilt mod need Shivering Isles and I don't have it. Is it necessary for other mods as well? I was thinking about Darnified UI, Natural Environments and Martigens Monster mod. Anything like the one Hoth Trooper armour mod for Oblivion? I've got a problem of plenty here, just too many mods to research. Any other suggestions for great mods?

Use the Top Lists to help narrow down the selection, but be aware you may miss out on some gems you'd really like if you stop there. I've tried going through the different categories myself (think I've made it to page 50 on the armor one more than once before I said 'Aarrgghh'). Mostly I lurk on the Oblivion Uploaded Files forum and keep an eye on the New Mods Today page on Oblivion Nexus.

Some nice additions I'll suggest for Vilja (also all by Emma) are Packdonkeys and any of her many houses (my personal favourites are Aleswell Cottage and Maple Cottage, though Fishermans Cottage is such a nice place to relax away from all the distractions). An overhaul I've been following (and will use when I next start a new character) is Maskars Oblivion Overhaul (also check out his other mods). It's still being worked on, and Maskar is open to suggestions. It would be an alternative to MMM (though I believe the two could be used at the same time).

Hi there, bjeet! Glad to see you've downloaded Oblivion!

Unfortunately, both the Kvatch rebuilding mods I know of (Kvatch Rebuilt and Kvatch Aftermath) require Shivering Isles. I think there's quite a few mods that depend on SI as well. The expansion also adds a great deal to the game content wise- if you're ever willing/ able to, it's not a bad thing to pick up.

I can think of several excellent companion mods- Vilja has been mentioned, of course, but there are others. Ruined-Tale's Tale is pretty popular (also check out some of the other mods by the same author- there's at least one other companion mod with a large story attached to it.)

There are vanilla companions in Oblivion, though most of them are pretty basic. The Companion Share and Recruit mod adds to them, and its features can be used by other companion mods.

There are tons of other mods out there- too many to list! I hope you have fun playing with them. Enjoy Oblivion!

Hi there, bjeet! Glad to see you've downloaded Oblivion!

Unfortunately, both the Kvatch rebuilding mods I know of (Kvatch Rebuilt and Kvatch Aftermath) require Shivering Isles. I think there's quite a few mods that depend on SI as well. The expansion also adds a great deal to the game content wise- if you're ever willing/ able to, it's not a bad thing to pick up.

I can think of several excellent companion mods- Vilja has been mentioned, of course, but there are others. Ruined-Tale's Tale is pretty popular (also check out some of the other mods by the same author- there's at least one other companion mod with a large story attached to it.)

There are vanilla companions in Oblivion, though most of them are pretty basic. The Companion Share and Recruit mod adds to them, and its features can be used by other companion mods.

There are tons of other mods out there- too many to list! I hope you have fun playing with them. Enjoy Oblivion!

Thanks for the welcome. By the way I didn't download Oblivion, I installed it from a DVD. Do I need Stream Account to download SI?

Thanks for the welcome. By the way I didn't download Oblivion, I installed it from a DVD. Do I need Stream Account to download SI?

I doubt you can get it from Steam. Steam only has the Game of the year and Game of the year deluxe editions of Oblivion. Both of those come bundled with Shivering Isles.

I think you can get a Shivering Isles expansion from Amazon or another software reseller though.

Edit: clarification

Edited by talveren