Implants

dra6o0n

This kind of mod would Require ZERO modeling, animating, and texturing skills...

Implants/Microchips/Nanochips are upgrades you put IN yourself to boost your own performance, it requires surgical attention in order to work effectively.

How It Should Work:

First off, the mod would require a system for tracking the number of modification you made to your character's body.

Then, you would need a device found in clinics that allows you to surgically install implants or microchips in your own body, OR a possible alternative by talking to a doctor to do surgery on you (cost money).

If you choose to install implants on yourself, you may use the surgical device for your house, but it would have to meet the SPECIAL requirement in order to implant it in you. The requirements is determined in different Implants/Microchips/Nanochips and would most likely have a side effect for common ones (so those with no side effects are more expensive)...

Say your SPECIAL has Strength set to 7, and your able to carry lots of things and want more STR:

- You will then look for a Strength boosting implant (an actual item) and a doctor, you pay the doctor and installed it, but since its a common implant, you also receive a -1 to Int along with the +1 Str.

Unlike Aid items, like mentats for increasing int and per, implants last until you take a surgery to remove it, in order to replace it with a better implant.

The Reason that it would require zero modeling, animating, and texturing skills is that most of the work would have to be scripted :P

This mod is much more useful if your able to boost the cap in the SPECIAL over 10 and the Skill cap to 150.

Or it can give you bonus SPECIAL points at the cost of total max hp, with the more implant you install the less HP you get in the end.

Each Implant can range from -1maxhp to -10maxhp a implant.

This would also be interesting if you can use implant that doesn't modify your stats/skills but provides actual game changes:

- Increases the % of exp gained (best use when theres a level cap mod)

- Increases Crit/Acc or chance of special events occuring

- Changes the way actions affect your karma (if you implanted too much you'd be a cyborg, and thus karma affects you less [less gain, less loss]).

- Too much implants could give you side effects, such as decreased Charisma because your turning into a Cyborg.

I'll be honest, I was afraid this was referring to a different sort of implant. I'm glad it was this instead. :)

On topic, I totally think this is a great idea. It sounds totally doable, and what's better, it fits in perfectly with canon stuff we've already seen. I hope this can be done!

i'll second that they'd fit right in with the lore of fallout

hell, i had 3 of them by the time i was done playing fallout 2

besides, i think it would add some interesting play aspects

(only if the bobble heads were toned down and the intense training perk was limited in the ranks)

supported for lore factor :happy:

Seconding the support for same reason.

I'd rather replace the rather odd 'Cyborg' perk with access to this WITHOUT need for surgery. Take the perk and you now have the interface implanted to allow the placement and removal of upgrade chips/parts on your own.

Possible upgrades:

Night Vision Optics - No more need for Pipboy Light, at the cost of -2cha because those glowing eyes freak people out.

Combat Targetting Processor - Increased VATS targetting to an enemy's WEAPON for disarmament, at the cost of 1-2ap per action. (Think of that targetting crosshair from RoboCop and Terminator that highlights and analyzes targets' weapons...)

Adrenal Overdrive - +2str/+20wg/+9unarmed/+1melee at the cost of -2per/-2end(net: +5unarmed/melee, +40wg)... you're primed and pumped up to no end, but are afflicted with shortness of breath and tunnel vision (and your heart pumping in your ears drowns out the footfalls of unseen enemies).

Regenerative Nanites - Boost to Rad Resist and possibly increased radiation fade-off, at the cost of hit% in VATS targetting when radiated. (they "make your skin crawl" when active, reducing concentration in combat)

Heheh... I love thinking up this kind of stuff.

Well yes, having multiple implants and changing the perk would be workable, but I don't have that many experience in scripting to make it work.

Regardless, the one definite thing we might need first is a system that manages the implants, then a system that gives effects in comparison of your implants.

Core Script: a Gamemode script that checks your character every second to see what implants and effects you should have.

List of Effects: For perks/implants to give effects to your character, a definite must do.

List of implants: Probably possible to make armors that has no model, weightless and unequippable so you can see them in the Armor section, without being mixed into your junk misc spot.

Cross posted from the thread Panpiper linked:

This is a great idea, and I'm really excited to see more. The only drawback I see is them all being perks. While a great addition to the game, it would mean missing out on more of the other perks, some of which are also great to have. While I'm normally all for having to make tough choices in games, I got really excited by a thread on the Nexus forums over a similar idea.

The one draw that idea had over this was this idea that the perks were actual items you had to get installed into your body to make them work. This meant that for the mutually exclusive upgrades, you weren't stuck with something. You could have it removed and replaced with another one. The drawback comes from being able to go out find these things once you know where they are, and getting them done right away without the leveling.

I wonder if there could be a compromise, in that you could make components that could be installed or removed at will, but put in a requirement for the proper level of cyborg or implant perk. Meaning, you could find the level 3 component for infiltration database, but if you don't have the matching level 3 implant perk, you won't be able to use it, only the level 1 component.

Thoughts?

If you haven't, you should read that thread. He's actually got a beta version of the mod up. As I posted though, I'm not sure I dig the idea of only perks being used for the mod. Like the last line says, thoughts?

Archived