Real Backpack

nability

If you mean that you can auto-equip it when it's on the ground that's possible via a simple script. However the bigger issue is that the backpacks don't have a functioning world model that you can put on the ground (At least none that I've tried.) So the world model would be a duffle bag for instance.

The way I did it in oblivion, it was just an inventory item. (though, could still be a worn item if FO4) To access its inventory, you had to drop it, then activate it on the ground, THAT would give you a menu to either pick it up, or, access it's inventory. It's inventory was NOT accessible while worn. (in the players inventory)

When you picked it up, it would calculate the weight of the items in it, and then assign a percentage of that weight to the item you picked up. (it was zero weight when empty.....)

• 7 months later...

One thing to note is containers have infinite storage capacity, I think, so being able to pick those up with items inside would give you infinite carry capacity unless a percentage of contained items weight is then added to the backpack in your inventory. Some means of unequipping the backpack (losing its equipped carry weight bonus) when you enter power armor would be needed also, as I think there is a bug making you look weird otherwise. It would also have to prevent you from equipping it again until you exit the power armor. A backpack mod like this would pretty much have everything I'd ever need :D

If you want to work around the infinite container space issue, maybe using the backpack on the ground could open a menu where you pick it up or open one of its compartments; each compartment is just a shortcut into the inventory of one of your companions. The menu item would then hide for your current companion, or just relabel its menu item as "Companion inventory" and let you trade with your companion from the backpack (so you don't have to call them to you and talk first). The higher quality backpacks you find or make, the more companions' compartments they have beyond your current companion inventory.

Edited by Sjakal