Do you guys ever play Fallout like THIS?

charwo

even if we ignore the boiling oceans, we can't ignore the runaway greenhouse effect caused by using all of the fossil fuels, not to mention the potential ecological chain reaction caused by removing large chunks of the ecosystem.

even Zion park was affected, ever notice how little plant life there actually is given the general lack of herbivores in the area?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, puh-leez.

Leaving aside the 'greenhouse effect' claim (which I personally consider to be a giant steaming heap of bull-cookies), no one said that the ecology of the FO3 world would be untouched. Given two hundred years of being more or less left alone, it would adapt. Just as with the various extremely inhospitable places mentioned earlier in this thread (with pictures), all of which 'bounced back' to some extent in much less time.

Edited by 7thsealord

• 1 month later...

I very much prefer the dead, desolate, hopeless look of the game.

Edit:

Reading through the concept art book for Fallout 3, you can clearly see that Bethesda was well aware that greenery would return in such a situation, but it wasn't the look or feel they were going for.

"There's plenty of dried and dead grass and shrubs, but no green pant life to be seen anywhere. It's very likely that a great deal of plant life would return after a few years and probably thrive in the real world, no matter how irradiated, but it was an appropriate stylistic decision to keep the world dry and brown in order to fit in close with the classic Fallout asthetic."

Edited by maikii

• 3 weeks later...

What's being ignored in the discussion is the actual origin of the Fallout universe. In particular, pay attention to Science Fiction movies (focusing particularly on the 90's and earlier.) The look of the Capitol Wasteland (along with Radscorpions and Radroaches) seems to come from the 1977 film "Damnation Alley." (A tough film to track down, it never seems to have made the jump to DVD.) The entire Sink in FNV seems to owe a lot to the 1995 film "Twelve Monkeys" and I could go on and on.

I have a little advantage here, I'm approximately the same age as Sawyer and Avellone, so these are the Sci-Fi movies I grew up with or experienced as a young man. There's an old saying about Star Trek that the ships travel at the speed of plot. The designers inserted things that they new and loved into the game. (Just check out the cultural references section in the Fallout Wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_cultural_references for a larger, although no means exhaustive list.

All that being said, I love the wasteland as you've portrayed it. (The pristine car does seem to be a bit much, though.)

What's being ignored in the discussion is the actual origin of the Fallout universe. In particular, pay attention to Science Fiction movies (focusing particularly on the 90's and earlier.) The look of the Capitol Wasteland (along with Radscorpions and Radroaches) seems to come from the 1977 film "Damnation Alley." (A tough film to track down, it never seems to have made the jump to DVD.) The entire Sink in FNV seems to owe a lot to the 1995 film "Twelve Monkeys" and I could go on and on.

I have a little advantage here, I'm approximately the same age as Sawyer and Avellone, so these are the Sci-Fi movies I grew up with or experienced as a young man. There's an old saying about Star Trek that the ships travel at the speed of plot. The designers inserted things that they new and loved into the game. (Just check out the cultural references section in the Fallout Wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_cultural_references for a larger, although no means exhaustive list.

All that being said, I love the wasteland as you've portrayed it. (The pristine car does seem to be a bit much, though.)

Actually, no. What you say has already been dwelt upon here a time or two (except for the DA reference, good comparison that).

Noting also that nobody here has been saying "Heh! Stoopid Bethesda, they got it SO wrong!". Creative decision on their part, sure. But many here STILL like the Green Look better, often because it does seem a more accurate depiction of what would be found. Plus, the desert look has been seriously seriously over-used anyhow.

As for the pristine cars you mention, once again we fall back on the 'Late 21st Century Tech dressed up to look like the 1950s' argument. After 200 years of exposure to the elements, any vehicle we can think of (whether car, truck, bus, plane, motorbike, railway car, etc.) should be piles of rust flakes - with maybe a few still-recognizable bits'n'pieces scattered around. But what we find in FO3 is a great many of all these things somehow remaining (fairly) recognizable, tough enough to use for construction or shelter, and (in many cases) ready-to-explode. Quite extraordinary, really. But in the final analysis, this is every bit as much a "creative" decision as the blasted desert appearance of the 'canonical' landscape.

Edited by 7thsealord

Just o make myself clear, I am not trying to be a "Lore Ogre" here. I happen to like the green look as well, and use it in my game. I've been trying to figure out a script to allow more green to spread after the Oasis quest, but it's a long slog.