Cannot run disc

Ironman5000

I just got FO3 GOTY today, tried to run the disc to install but it won't be read. I thought maybe it was the disc but it's brand new and when I try it in my laptop it's perfect! My disc drive is fine too and will load all other games so I just can't wrap my head around it. Can someone advise me please?

Every time I try it takes about 5 mins then get this message

"Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit. Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=timeout for further, more detailed information."

The link isn't helpful and I don't know what to do.

Fallout 3, GOTY is on two discs. Are you having trouble with the first or second disc? Is it the original disc or someone's copy? Which version of Windows are you using?

If the problem is with the second disc, which is the DLCs, start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and install it then. Remember, to avoid trouble, install the game outside of Program Files.

Edited by M48A5

I think I might have worked it out myself, it's always the way though I hit a wall but don't find a solution until I post for help :psyduck:

BTW it is not a copy, I don't go there :tongue: it is fresh from the cellophane. If I get any more problems I will update this post.

The secureom DRM used does not like certain other programs that may be on your computer. It scans your hard drive to see if one of these is present. It considers any program that can copy a CD, or allow running the game without the CD in the drive as a problem and may refuse to install the game. The one I am familiar with is alcohol. It is a legal program that can duplicate most CDs. But Securom will refuse to allow the game to install if it is there. If you have alcohol, or any other CD/DVD backup or copy program - either remove it, or rename it - I think once the game is installed you can put it back.

The securom people claim they only possible use for such programs is to pirate. I was using alcohol to make copies of a CD I created and owned the copyright to - a utility program for troubleshooting a machine I used to support. Whenever I went on a service call for that machine, I would leave a copy of the cd for the plant maintenance to run before calling me. Totally unrelated to gaming and nowhere near piracy.

The secureom DRM used does not like certain other programs that may be on your computer. It scans your hard drive to see if one of these is present. It considers any program that can copy a CD, or allow running the game without the CD in the drive as a problem and may refuse to install the game.

So even Steam could be the problem? I have found out that I can't install through steam but I wouldn't have thought it would refuse to run with it installed. If I install to drive D instead of default C would it scan only that drive or both? Maybe it would work then?

What about VLC Player and emulators would they be an issue? I also have Nero multimedia stuff too which I don't think is even being used, could I just get rid of that?

EDIT: I also found this while troubleshhoting, would I have to do any of this when I get it to run? I have win7.

Edited by Ironman5000

Wow this just gets better and better :wallbash:

I managed to get the installer to run by using autorun after the initial disc read fail, installed to a location in the D drive, tried to launch it and got this message.

Unable to find an INI file. Please reinstall fallout.

................................... :facepalm:

Edited by Ironman5000

I managed to get the installer to run by using autorun after the initial disc read fail, installed to a location in the D drive, tried to launch it and got this message.

Unable to find an INI file. Please reinstall fallout.

................................... :facepalm:

Well that's interesting. :laugh:

If it fails to run because it's unable to find the ini, just copy default_fallout.ini from your install directory to My Documents/My Games/Fallout 3 and rename to Fallout.ini.

That works great for me, I have that same error every time I install the game.

And make sure you run the launcher in order to create FalloutPrefs.ini before you actually try to run the game.

Edited by Werne

I have the ini file now, but when I click play through the launcher I got this message.

The ordinal 5360 could not be located in the dynamic link library xlive.dll.

I checked it out and turns out I needed to install Games for Windows Live, I wasn't aware it was mandatory. Anyway I can get on the game now (yey!) the disc is still having difficulty autoplaying though.

Edited by Ironman5000

Download and install FOMM http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36901 . Once you have it installed, open "Settings" and uncheck "Check for new FOmod versions". Click "OK". Now open the "Tools" dropdown menu and click "Install Tweaker". Make sure "Use fake xlive .dll" is check and click "OK". This will enable you to run without the disc and also disable GFWL.