Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

Vulon

I've managed to get Skyrim running fairly well, even with 100+ mods currently active. I didn't experience any major issues until just recently.

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of Skyblivion, but essentially, it's a project still heavily underdeveloped with the eventual goal of adding the province of Cyrodiil, in its entirety, to Skyrim. To accomplish this, you have to have Oblivion installed on your PC, unpack the textures/meshes, delete the ones that conflict with existing Skyrim files, and copy them into your Skyrim data directory. Anyway, I did this, and on the Skyblivion forums, it was noted that there was an issue with nirnroots, with links available to download fixed meshes/textures for the plants. The primary issue seemed to be limited to Cyrodiil, from what I could gather; if you so much as looked at a nirnroot plant, your game would crash. The fix was designed to replace the Oblivion nirnroot file with Skyrim's, thus eliminating aforementioned crashes.

Only, I seem to be experiencing a bit of a dillema, and I'm really not sure what I did wrong. I followed the provided instructions (which were quite detailed and helpful) to a fault. And yet, I'm facing a rather unusual problem : the nirnroot in Skyrim has been replaced with the nirnroot from Oblivion, rather than the other way around. And I've tried just about everything I could think of to fix it. I tried de-activating/re-activating all the Skyblivion .esps/.esms, deleting the nirnroot replacer files from my Skyrim data folder, downloading them once again and putting them back in, then deleting them again once they didn't work...I've tried downloading mods that altered the properties of Nirnroot, such as one that eliminated the glowing and humming, and while it did just that, the actual nirnroot itself remained unchanged and would crash my game.

I tried looking for any other nirnroot mesh/texture in my Skyrim data directory, to no avail. My brother has Skyrim on his PC, too, and I checked his data folder, only to find no nirnroot, either. My plan was to copy his untainted nirnroot files into my data folder and hopefully be done with it. But I couldn't find them anywhere. Are they named something other than 'nirnroot'? I've looked everywhere.

Anyway, I'm really running out of options. I haven't played in a couple of days simply because I'm afraid of crashing whenever I explore and come across a nirnroot. It's aggravating, to say the least, especially since I've managed to run a more-or-less stable game with all the mods I have activated.

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall, but I will if I have to. One more question - if I copy my entire Skyrim folder to a temporary folder in, say, my desktop, uninstalled, and reinstalled the game, could I copy my Skyrim folder back into place without having the uninstillation process affect my existing saves too heavily? I'm just worried about having my existing data compromised or mucked up, because, as mentioned, I have a lot of mods active. Does uninstalling the game deactivate your active plugins from the nexus mod manager? I figure if it doesn't, and I put all my resources back into place after reinstalling, I might get lucky. But I'm ill-informed and naive when it comes to computery stuff.

Thanks for the response. I found "bInvalidateOlderFiles=1" under 'archive' in SkyrimEditor.ini. I have four other Skyrim ini's - SkyrimPrefs, SkyrimEditorPrefs, SkyrimDefault, and SkyrimSewers (for a mod). I searched for the same text in all four other files and came up with nothing. Should I copy/paste the setting into any of the other ini's?

Thanks for the response. I found "bInvalidateOlderFiles=1" under 'archive' in SkyrimEditor.ini. I have four other Skyrim ini's - SkyrimPrefs, SkyrimEditorPrefs, SkyrimDefault, and SkyrimSewers (for a mod). I searched for the same text in all four other files and came up with nothing. Should I copy/paste the setting into any of the other ini's?

I wouldn't do that. Have you tried unpacking skyrims textures in Skyrim-Textures.bsa? Every texture that Skyrim uses should be in that .bsa. Use OBMM of FOMM to unpack said .bsa and see if you can locate the texture there.

Bump - Okay, so, using OBMM's BSA browser, I've looked through my Skyrim meshes and textures. I have meshes for red nirnroot, and none for the normal nirnroot. Which doesn't surprise me, since I deleted the replacement meshes when I kept getting crashes.

I found nirnroot textures in the textures BSA. :D Only problem is, when I attempt to extract them, I get an error - "an unhandled exception has occurred. Extra information should have been saved to 'obmm_crashdump.txt' in Oblivion's base directory. Error message : exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown." What does this mean and how do I fix this? When I try to extract the texture/s (I've tried extracting one nirnroot at a time, and then both at once), it will save to the temp folder on my desktop, but the file size is 0 kb. The error makes it sound like my system's struggling with memory, but I've unpacked BSAs before without a problem. And I checked my memory usage in my task manager. My system's modest and in need of an upgrade, but I know what it can handle, and it's not exactly straining itself right now. Memory shouldn't be an issue. Is it an issue of compatibility of some sort between Skyrim and Oblivion? Is there some prerequisite I haven't met? Argh, this is frustrating. Nirnroot is the worst. -_-

Gotta bump this again.

So, I managed to unpack Skyrim's texture BSA by downloading BSAopt, since OBMM wasn't working. I successfully extracted the nirnroot textures and placed them in my data directory - and I'm still having the same problem. Fuuuuuu. -_-

I want to just disable all nirnroots. This is one a**hole of a plant.

Anyway. Any advice? I've exhausted every option I can think of at this point. I've been playing Oblivion the last couple of days, but Dragonborn comes out on PC tomorrow and I really wanna play it without having to worry about stupid nirnroot crashes. Not that I know how much nirnroot is littered across Solstheim...

Gotta bump this again.

So, I managed to unpack Skyrim's texture BSA by downloading BSAopt, since OBMM wasn't working. I successfully extracted the nirnroot textures and placed them in my data directory - and I'm still having the same problem. Fuuuuuu. -_-

I want to just disable all nirnroots. This is one a**hole of a plant.

Anyway. Any advice? I've exhausted every option I can think of at this point. I've been playing Oblivion the last couple of days, but Dragonborn comes out on PC tomorrow and I really wanna play it without having to worry about stupid nirnroot crashes. Not that I know how much nirnroot is littered across Solstheim...

I would suggest that you do a total, complete, fresh install in preparation for Dragonborn. Remember all the mods you are using on your current character (if you're using NMM, then everything will remain there). Simply reinstall the game from Steam and remove whatever mod you are using that is causing this. I would highly recommend that you stay away from any total conversion mods until thay are complete. There is no telling what issues may arise when using them. If you don't want to do a total reinstall, then I advise you try one more option: Go into steam, click on Skyirm, click properties, click local files, then choose "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". This option will replace any missing files from the game. It doesn't matter if it's a rogue script, removed mesh or texture, sound issue, or you messed with the logo. Anything will be replaced that is missing. If this does not solve the problem, then do a complete reinstall without removing your saves or mods. Hopefully this will get you back up to speed and ready for Dragonborn!

P.S. Sorry about the late response

-Elsarian