Error when trying to play C&C Generals: Zero Hour

alright so ill keep this short and sweet. I cant play C&C Generals: Zero Hour on my PC (The First Decade version). when i start up the game i get the following error:

"Please make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements

well i have DX11 and my 7950 meets the minimum requirements. but here is the weird thing. i can start up and play General (not Zero Hour) just fine. and i was able to play Zero Hour before i got my GPU (on the integrated intel Graphics),and if i switch back to IG and disable my GPU, the game runs. is my GPU just too much for the game?

ive uninstalled and reinstalled the game. and tried running it as an Administrator. no luck there

My Specs:

Win 7 Pro x64

Gigabyte 2GB 7950

Intel 3570k

8gb RAM

EDIT: went to play it with IG, and i get a long paragraph of an error. didnt read it, started off with "Serious Error Occured" which while i was trying to look up my problem, i saw several people post about this. this never happened when i was playing before. this is the first time ive ever seen this error myself.

Edited by hoofhearted4

There is another error, the gigabyte 7950 is 3gb of vram, also have you tried using administrative mode and sticking it in windows xp mode or something similar. it works some of the time but not all of the time. I did however get Mafia 1 to work that way. i have Win7 Pro OEM 64bit Edited by Thor.

haha woops. 2 and 3 are right next to each other.

if it were the fact i was running win7 and not winxp, i dont think the game would run on the IG on the CPU either, but it does. and actually i got through a few games without another crash, only that one time, so idk. its not like the game is intensive or anything, so if thats what i gotta do to play the game, i guess its no real big deal.

You've got the Professional version, right? I suggest getting Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode from Microsoft, which is free with versions of Windows 7 Pro and up. You might be able to play the game though that.

again i dont think its that. as i said, i can play Generals, just not Generals: Zero Hour (Expansion) no problem. and i can play Zero Hour, but only while using my Integrated Graphics on the CPu and disabling the GPU.

• 2 years later...

haha i went back to try any play this just now, got that error. googled it and clicked this link only to get a flashback of myself posting this..

anyways i did some digging, i simply went into the options.ini file and changed the resolution to what my monitor displays at, 1920x1080 and the game runs just fine now. no compatibility mode or run as admin or anything else necessary.

i figured id mention it, if not for anyone else who happens along on this, but in the least for future hoof in case anything happens and the settings get reverted.

Something else that's a good idea for C&C:X is to download and install Command & Patch. It's basically an all-inclusive official and unofficial patch/update for the games. Read more about it here: http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command-patch/the-first-decade-unofficial-patch/

AFAIK it does relatively little for Generals, but has more significant features for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert (e.g. enables 64-bit Red Alert 2).