How can anybody srsly play as a Vampire Hunter?

Niklass

With the flaws brought by all it's linearity, if you want a good RPG play the Witcher 1 and 2 and wait for 3.

You mean the games where you can either play Gerhalt the Witcher, or Gerhalt the Wotcher, and the biggest decision you have to make is which loose floozy to bed?

Linearity or a lack there of does not make or break an RPG. The genre is far broader than that, and encompases both Skyrim and Witcher at different extremes. Skyrims open world and lack of rails means you can define what your character is, and what stories they are involved in. That the stories themselves tend towards linearity does not mean they are inferior to more branching models.

Defining Skyrim as a bad RPG, and Witcher as a good RPG, is inherently limiting, because both focus on different things. The Witcher is entirely incapable of being what TES is, because it has a set protagonist, and instead focuses on telling Gerhalt's story, where as TES has always been more about telling your own story out of plots you have free access to enjoy or ignore.

Bear in mind of course, that I enjoy both, but neither is more RPG than the other, and more than Halo is more FPS than Call of Duty.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially if you consider the fragments of conversation one overhears while making their way to the inner sanctum where she's buried. To blunder in and slaughter someone like Serana, who hasn't tried to hurt you and is clearly a piece of a much larger puzzle, is reckless and irresponsible.

You're overlooking gut reaction and survival instinct, if you're a vampire hunter with a visceral dislike of vampires your gut reaction is going to be "OMG! Vampire! Kiiiiiiiiiiiill!" especially if you're given no warning.

When you have a chance to stop, cool off and reflect then sure, maybe I'll let them live.. for now. The fact that she's possible to turn back into human form is the only reason I wouldn't finish her off later. And even then I'd be dubious.

A vampire is a vampire, they're predators and a disease. Even if one is a "good" vampire they're still a threat.

Some people keep wolves as pets, but its still a wolf. Its in their nature. I wouldn't immediately kill if I found one without an owner, but I wouldn't turn my back on it either.

You're overlooking gut reaction and survival instinct, if you're a vampire hunter with a visceral dislike of vampires your gut reaction is going to be "OMG! Vampire! Kiiiiiiiiiiiill!" especially if you're given no warning.

That type of knee jerk reaction is the behaviour of a novice though... The type of green Hunter whose going to get ripped to pieces by a Daughter of Coldharbour... Hell, the Winchesters were a little twitchy in Tue first few seasons, and even they would at least leave one to lead them back to the nest.

Any seasoned Hunter in Tamriel would have instantly realised something bigger was happening, when the sealed vault opens to reveal a woman with an ELDER SCROLL on her back.

Heat of the moment decisions and impulsive reactions get you killed. So unless you're playing a first time Hunter with no experience with Vampires, that scenario is not very likely.

That type of knee jerk reaction is the behaviour of a novice though... The type of green Hunter whose going to get ripped to pieces by a Daughter of Coldharbour... Hell, the Winchesters were a little twitchy in Tue first few seasons, and even they would at least leave one to lead them back to the nest.

Any seasoned Hunter in Tamriel would have instantly realised something bigger was happening, when the sealed vault opens to reveal a woman with an ELDER SCROLL on her back.

Heat of the moment decisions and impulsive reactions get you killed. So unless you're playing a first time Hunter with no experience with Vampires, that scenario is not very likely.

Well, both extreme sides. Either a novice, or one who has seen too much, is mentally f***** up because of it, and ends up being an even worse monster than the "monsters" he hunts.

Yeah... By and large, I find a lot of these RP outlooks andany guides to be one dimensional... I saw it a lot with Morrowind and Oblivion on various forums, and i think the Vigilant's of Stendar were kind of a joke on that. 'ALL DAEDRA AND CULTISTS MUST DIE! AAAARRRRG!'.

Cool story bro. What about Azura, whose followers practice healing and wisdom? Or Meridia, who is the literal embodyment of life?

What would a Vampire Hunter do if they met Count Hassildor? Would they be stupid enough to go on a slaying-spree in Harkon's castle, surrounded by dozens of immensely powerful Vampires? How do they del with the fact that curing Vampires is a very real thing in TES?

The 'It has fangs, I must kill it now' outlook is very simplistic and doesn't belong in the setting, frankly.

Yeah... By and large, I find a lot of these RP outlooks andany guides to be one dimensional... I saw it a lot with Morrowind and Oblivion on various forums, and i think the Vigilant's of Stendar were kind of a joke on that. 'ALL DAEDRA AND CULTISTS MUST DIE! AAAARRRRG!'.

I understand where you're coming from, but people are often one-dimensional in their thinking especially if they have (or believe they have) cause to be. I'd say the existence of racism is absolute proof of this fact. Is all racism the same? No, but does a racism exist where the person believes that all people not the same race as them (or all those who are of a particular race) are inferior? Yes.

Now that is just with something as harmless as having a differnt skin color. We're talking about things that are faster than, stronger than, and feed off of humans. Yes, a great deal of people will be off the mindset to kill all of them.

So in actuality it belongs in the setting because it exists in just about every setting.

Regardless, the beginning of Dawnguard is clunky at best. To me that is the real culprit of being too simplistic. No matter what, I have to help a vampire? No matter what, I have to join vamoire hunters? That's just lazy and has no place in a setting that is meant to be such an open world.

You're telling me you couldn't have someone from Harkon's camp recruitng like the Dawnguard were? Simple I know, but better than all of us walking the same exact path starting out no matter what we believe.

That's just lazy and has no place in a setting that is meant to be such an open world.

Then don't do it. There's nothing, anywhere, forcing you to do Dawnguard. Having a story with set branching points isn't lazy, particularly when you don't HAVE to do any of it.

'Open world' doesn't mean you can handle any situation however you want. This isn't a pen-and-paper game with a DM who is able to react on the fly to character nuances and unorthodox decisions. There are technical limitations to any game which prevent that kind of adaptability, and these limitations are probably going to persist for decades.

Creating two entirely distinct quest-lines just because an extremely minor segment of the RPing community is so bull-headed they can't stomach their character working with a Vampire is also not an option. Anyone whose tried to do any quest mods knows there's a substantial amount of work that goes into a questline, and trying to account for everyone's character is a practical impossibility. Considering they had a delay with the DLC in the first place, it's something of a surprise we even got to pick a side down the road at all.

Expecting developers to cater to you personally, and calling them lazy when they don't, is rather insulting. A story can't always adapt to the character, sometimes the character has to adapt to the story.

Edited by Lachdonin

Whether I do it or not doesn't change the quality, or lack thereof, of Dawnguard's introduction. I can choose not to eat a steak because it fell on a dirty floor and is now covered in filth, but that doesn't change the fact that the steak is dirty nor does it mean I can't point out that the food is now soiled.

Open world may not mean you can do anything exactly how you want, but it is supposed to provide more "openness" compared to more linear games so yes, in a game that provided an introduction where you could pick who you decided to leave with, it is lazy that they couldn't do a basic thing to have the intro to Dawnguard fit more in line to the setting and their own story.

I can't tell you how humorous it is that you say I am asking for them to cater to me personally, when my entire argument (as well as the argument made by others in this thread) is the fact that they could have done a much better job catering to more people regarding the start of Dawnguard.

So yes, the fact that they didn't (at the very least) add a NPC to recruit for Harkon so that things could make more sense all around is lazy. It's actually more insulting to say it isn't lazy because the only way it isn't lazy is if doing that would have been too difficult and or complicated for them to do and I guess I believe too much in Bethesda's abilities to agree with that notion.