How can anybody srsly play as a Vampire Hunter?

Niklass

So I'm roleplaying this character who is part of the Vigil of Stendarr and did all the quests that were added by this mod to the Vigil.

I then uninstall the compatibility patch so that the Vigil is destroyed and go to join the Dawnguard, very impressed by the presentation I go off to the first mission and burn my way through vampire after vampire then I do this neat puzzle and there is this nonchalant vampire talking to me how I am supposed to help her escape and to top it all she is carrying an Elder Scroll.

So as in every good roleplaying game I ask myself what would this character do that just lost all his brothers to vampires and killed a dozen already? Of course I attack and guess what ESSENTIAL!

At this point I quit the game and I'm not sure I can continue to play Dawnguard at least not with this character or as a Vampire Hunter, I might just change her to non-essential kill her and stop the quest.

How am I supposed to take any of this seriously? How can they NOT give you the option to kill her or at least give you any explanation why you shouldn't?

/rant

What do you think? Please no spoilers past the first mission.

The way I managed to solve this problem was to just think that Serana seduced (mind controlled) my characters mind with her vampire powers and thus I had to help her.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really had the issue, since my character has always been a merc type of character. Don't care what I have to do, just get it done and get paid for it.

However, it never made sense to me that Isran didn't just kill Serana as soon as she arrived at Fort Dawnguard. No doing so goes against his principles. Hell, I wouldn't have even been surprised if a Dawnguard member shot her on her way up to the castle. That's always bugged me more than the fact that the player themselves can't just choose to kill Serana upon meeting her.

It always has seemed pretty stupid to me too, but I usually look at it this way:

My character is Dragonborn. He or she knows about prophecies and indeed is in the middle of one. Either the Vampires are meant to win, or there is some escape clause that will be more complicated than simply killing Serana. In fact in a prophecy, doing something like killing Serana on the spot usually makes things worse rather than better. They are never that simple. That whole prison arrangement could have collected the blood and stored it somehow for her father to find later, or could have somehow been tied to her blood and the scroll already and set things in motion. Rash, incautious actions almost always bite you in prophecies. Elder scroll = 'proceed with caution.'

Moreover, the only other dragonborns we know of all had the gift of foresight so my DB's are similarly used to relying on instinct. Delivering Serana and the scroll to the castle doesn't make any logical sense, but my DB somehow senses that it is the right path regardless.

Heck, Emperors seem content to go with the 'I have foreseen my death so I'll just accept it and not take greater than normal precautions that day because I know it is in the greater good/ordained/unavoidable' shtick.

Heck, Emperors seem content to go with the 'I have foreseen my death so I'll just accept it and not take greater than normal precautions that day because I know it is in the greater good/ordained/unavoidable' shtick.

There's a rather popular theory in lore circles that the Emperor orchestrated his own assassination in order to ensure his successor wouldn't inherit his poor political standing, and have a platform for more aggressive policies regarding the Thalmor. His asking you to kill Montierre seems to support this, as his vague statements can be easily construed as tying up loose ends, leaving a clear opening for blaming the Dominion for the assassination.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the whole dawnguard questline as designed to be some kind of gothic love story. You, your character falls in love with serana the moment she falls out of her coffin. From that moment you are no true vampire hunter any more, you just help her and after you realize what you got yourself into you try to save skyrim. If you have to kill vampires while doing that, then that's just what needs to be done. This made all perfect sense to me and i really enjoed this questline.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't going to necro this thread, but since somebody did it before me... I might as well just toss my two cents in.

I feel one of the primary problems here is a fundamental misconception of the phrase "vampire hunter".

Here, I'll illustrate using my character as an example:

Brel, through the entire game, was this man who was basically a savage. Scale armor, two war axes and a bow. Spent far more time out in nature than with man, and was more likely to kill people than talk with them. That goes double for undead.

That, I feel qualifies him for "rage-blind"/berserker status.

However, upon seeing Serena, he quickly realized he could get her to lead him to her nest-as a hunter would.

Playing a hunter, especially one that's part of an organization, implies discipline. Archery, swordplay, practice, tracking, these are all Hunter skills that require discipline.

I was actually surprised that so many people want to play a character that was more berserk than my berserker!

That just sounds strange and a great way to get killed by vampires.

Incidentally, I took her to the Dawnguard, and Isran backed up my idea.

This thread, while it makes some valid points, comes across as unnecessarily whiny, and seems to willfully ignore two important truths:

One, the tracking thing I just mentioned. Use her to find the best, realize "s#*!, there are more vampires here than I thought!", and saddle up to bring the Dawnguard back,

And

You can BRING HER BACK TO THE DAWNGUARD ANYWAY.

I noticed a few people brought this up, but it always got ignored.

You bring her back (a totally reasonable move-"Hey Isran-I found this vampire who has a thing on her back-what do you want me to do, boss?")

And Isran says "Do iiiit."

I also agree with MidbossVyers. Seriously. Lighten up on the trigger, don't need to EX-TER-MINATE everything.