Would change of the game engine become demise for modding Fallout and Skyrim?

oksid34

People yammering about the engine being old and/or terrible have no idea what they're talking about. The less they know the louder they seem to be screaming about it. Quite pathetic if you ask me..

Anyway todd says they've been upgrading the engine a lot in preparations for their upcoming titles. They have a well established and fully functional powerhouse on their side, why would they ever abandon it?

People yammering about the engine being old and/or terrible have no idea what they're talking about. The less they know the louder they seem to be screaming about it. Quite pathetic if you ask me..

Anyway todd says they've been upgrading the engine a lot in preparations for their upcoming titles. They have a well established and fully functional powerhouse on their side, why would they ever abandon it?

Not to mention that actually own the rights to the game engine....... Sure, Gamebryo/Creation engine has been around for quite a while, but, its current version looks nothing at all like the original version used for Morrowind. As technology advances, the engine has been modified to take advantage of those. And now it has even gone 64 bit, which resolved a fair few other problems as well. The ESVI trailer looked pretty good, and that was released several years ago..... Should be interesting to see what they have come up with, when next they talk about it. :)

It would be the death of modding in its current form. The CK is a good piece of kit, another engine would mean it's out the window and there probably wouldn't be a new CK for a new engine.

Currently, modders are using the same tools that Beth is using to make the game. There still needs to be a 'kit' for whatever game engine they may use, question becomes, could they legally release it for free, for modders to use......

I would like to think though, that MS realizes that the longevity of the games is DIRECTLY attributed to their moddability. People are still playing/modding morrowind, almost 20 years after it's release......

I guess there really isn't anything wrong with the engine, only the RPG elements and we already know the game can have both FPS and RPG elements and be a better game. Bethesda just has never been good at the Role Playing experience.

Actually, Morrowind didn't do a half-bad job. The writing was better than later games as well....