Torch Drop FPS

MotokoKHammond

hmmm, so MOO is the worst offender in your case.... there are quite a few light settings tweaks to mess around with in the MOO.ini. Maybe post on the MOO page and see what Maskar suggests....

I made a comment on the MOO mod page, I linked this thread so people can see the screenshots I provided and also view my listed specs, load order etc as to stop confuesion. Hopefully someone there will be able to provide a few MOO specific tweaks that may atleast help aleviate the predicament.

Edited by MotokoKHammond

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check MOO's lighting ini tweaks. Make sure it's not forcing it's exterior lighting. Also try setting the resolution for torches lower.

I can't find a MOO file called Moo Lightning. What file am I supposed to be tweaking? There is the Light section under the Maskars Oblivion Overhaul.ini, but I can not find anything to do with forcing exterior lighting.

Edited by MotokoKHammond

1. Open Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.ini in your Data Folder.

2. Control+F and type "Light Settings"

3. Look for "set MOO.ini_outdoors_light_forced"

4. Make sure it's set to 0.

Also try fiddling with various settings in this section. Reducing light resolution can help I've found.

Honestly though I've never encountered the player torch causing such framerate issues. Are you using 8x Antialiasing or something?

1. Open Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.ini in your Data Folder.

2. Control+F and type "Light Settings"

3. Look for "set MOO.ini_outdoors_light_forced"

4. Make sure it's set to 0.

Also try fiddling with various settings in this section. Reducing light resolution can help I've found.

Honestly though I've never encountered the player torch causing such framerate issues. Are you using 8x Antialiasing or something?

I am using whatever AA Simple ENB uses. However since I was concerned maybe the ENB was the culprit I turned it off during testing, the results where more or less the same with about 1 FPS added to the lows and highs (ex if fps went dow nto 15 it would be 16 instead)

PS: After looking threw the entire Light section under Maskars Oblivion Overhaul.ini I could not find anything to do with Light Resolution. Brightness and chance of torches etc sure, but nothing about resolution.

Edited by MotokoKHammond

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently stumbled on this myself... Searching to solve this issue i found this conversation, i red it, and tried to apply the various solutions, to no avail. I have by no means an amazing computer but after modding the crap out of morrowind recently, i thought to myself that oblivion should be the next project in line. I built it more or less on the bevilex modlist, spiced up with better textures where available.I have over 150 mods, the usuals, mostly retextures, all natural, OCO, let there be darkness and a custom edited Oscuro Overhaul. I also run Oblivion Reloaded 8.2.2 i think, paired with simple enb preset and i can conjure up a decent fps if not playable, if i tone down some options.

I have had little issues with the build until i installed the dungeon & exterior actors have torches mods needed for the pitch black dungeons. As i fire my torch my fps drops to 15-20 or so, slowing my game to a pulp so naturally i try to fix it by uninstalling/reinstalling fire, torch and light related mods. changed every torch option available. next in line were the large texture packs, from 2k back to 1k. no luck there. did nothing for my fps. disappointed, next, with the OReloaded effects... enabled, disabled, changed settings and even started to rebuild my OR preset to play without any enb. after several hours of fiddling with various effects i got to the bottom of this conundrum. the culprit is the oblivion reloaded parallax occlusion mapping. i disabled the POM and i got +20fps in combat, torches tossed on the ground, light spells thrown, all of them. I'm not sure if you are using the same mods, Caves retexture2k and the latest OR but there is a clear issue between OR's POM and the light cast from torches, for me at least. I hope somebody finds this helpful, if not, hope you find a solution asap.

• 10 months later...

So Maskar has basically said he does not know what the issue is, he doesnt even believe it's his mod, he is too busy to try figuring it out, and I should fix the issue myself :/ So guess that rules out getting support from the mod author's themselves *sigh*

I'm glad I found this thread as it's precisely my current issue after spending the last several days perfecting my mod list! And I'm pleased to say I'm using the nearly the same computer and mod list lol; but alas have the same issue.

I have recently stumbled on this myself... Searching to solve this issue i found this conversation, i red it, and tried to apply the various solutions, to no avail. I have by no means an amazing computer but after modding the crap out of morrowind recently, i thought to myself that oblivion should be the next project in line. I built it more or less on the bevilex modlist, spiced up with better textures where available.I have over 150 mods, the usuals, mostly retextures, all natural, OCO, let there be darkness and a custom edited Oscuro Overhaul. I also run Oblivion Reloaded 8.2.2 i think, paired with simple enb preset and i can conjure up a decent fps if not playable, if i tone down some options.

I have had little issues with the build until i installed the dungeon & exterior actors have torches mods needed for the pitch black dungeons. As i fire my torch my fps drops to 15-20 or so, slowing my game to a pulp so naturally i try to fix it by uninstalling/reinstalling fire, torch and light related mods. changed every torch option available. next in line were the large texture packs, from 2k back to 1k. no luck there. did nothing for my fps. disappointed, next, with the OReloaded effects... enabled, disabled, changed settings and even started to rebuild my OR preset to play without any enb. after several hours of fiddling with various effects i got to the bottom of this conundrum. the culprit is the oblivion reloaded parallax occlusion mapping. i disabled the POM and i got +20fps in combat, torches tossed on the ground, light spells thrown, all of them. I'm not sure if you are using the same mods, Caves retexture2k and the latest OR but there is a clear issue between OR's POM and the light cast from torches, for me at least. I hope somebody finds this helpful, if not, hope you find a solution asap.

I'm looking now and very curious about your findings. Although I'm not using the two mods you mentioned, I nonetheless have the same issue (so, for me--same issue--different mod, i.e .perhaps those two mod weren't the core issue?)

I'll bookmark the page and return shortly if I can find a solution to this self-torch/lantern fps drop issue. I prefer the lantern lol, and dude the eating/drinking mod is amazing I'm eating everybody's food!

UPDATE:

Only appears to be happening in exterior spaces.

Does not occur in caves/interiors. Can you confirm?

Edited by PSchoenmann