Torch Drop FPS

MotokoKHammond

So that isn't the root of the problem then.

You didn't make any mention of the Falloff Exponent edit I made a while back ... did you try that test?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that isn't the root of the problem then.

You didn't make any mention of the Falloff Exponent edit I made a while back ... did you try that test?

Oh considering you "Edits" to your own post, I presumed you deduced it was not the root cause anyway. I can go test that now.

Btw, just for sake of reference my system specs are.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 running at 3.59Ghz

2x8GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 LPX 3200 Mhz

Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD

MSI Armor RX570 8GB

That is as expected as you are increasing the lit radius of the torch.

My question was related to the setting in the CS Falloff Exponent (look in your posted CS pic beside FOV and you'll see the box I was referring to ... that value is set a 0.0000 in vanilla Oblivion according to what I see in TES4Edit).

My question was related to the setting in the CS Falloff Exponent (look in your posted CS pic beside FOV and you'll see the box I was referring to ... that value is set a 0.0000 in vanilla Oblivion according to what I see in TES4Edit).

But I decreased the light radius, not increased it. from 768 down to 256. But ok I will do as you said, what should I increase the CS Falloff too ?

But I decreased the light radius, not increased it. from 768 down to 256. But ok I will do as you said, what should I increase the CS Falloff too ?

Decrease the Falloff Exponent to 0.0000 as a test ... that is what TES4Edit shows as the default value.

That is curious that when you reduced the light radius you have a further drop in frame rate ... I thought you had increased it to the value I have set. When I did that it was to give a bit more visible range while travelling roads on rainy nights (and to some extent in dungeons, though that wasn't my primary goal). Going from 768 to 1152 didn't make any remarkable change to my frame rate from what I recall (but I don't use anything except my Mark I perception to determine frame rate ... i.e. no FPS counter, just how it feels).

- Edit When making these tests always set the previous value back to what it was ... we're looking for root causes here not cumulative effect.

Decrease the Falloff Exponent to 0.0000 as a test ... that is what TES4Edit shows as the default value.

That is curious that when you reduced the light radius you have a further drop in frame rate ... I thought you had increased it to the value I have set. When I did that it was to give a bit more visible range while travelling roads on rainy nights (and to some extent in dungeons, though that wasn't my primary goal). Going from 768 to 1152 didn't make any remarkable change to my frame rate from what I recall (but I don't use anything except my Mark I perception to determine frame rate ... i.e. no FPS counter, just how it feels).

- Edit When making these tests always set the previous value back to what it was ... we're looking for root causes here not cumulative effect.

So I tried changing the Falloff Exponent, I changed it to 0 and it made no diference, I then changed it to 4 just to test if anything would happen and that made no diference ether.

Edited by MotokoKHammond

OK ... I can't recall whether I made the change to 1.0000 at the same time I did the radius tweak (I was cribbing settings from another mod for my MyTweaks.esp).

I don't know what else to suggest.

OK ... I can't recall whether I made the change to 1.0000 at the same time I did the radius tweak (I was cribbing settings from another mod for my MyTweaks.esp).

Well I think we are just maybe looking at this from the wrong angle. Remember, this is not just a issue caused by the PC holding a torch, it's any light source emitted from the PC. IE Lanterns added by mods, new Torches added by mods, Light spells from vanilla aswell. They all Cause massive frame drops, which leads me to believe it's not torch specific.

Could an OBSE Plugin be causing any issues of this type do you think? Or even lack of a OBSE Plugins, here is all my Plugins, if you could check them atleast, maybe it would rule something out.

bGGKdcd.jpg