Torch Drop FPS

MotokoKHammond

I don't see anything that jumps out at me looking at your OBSE plugins (Enhanced Camera doesn't have any INI settings around this does it?).

I'm not aware of any global type variable that would affect the light from just the player, but I've never looked for such myself before. Hopefully I haven't chased Kats away ... other eyes and other brains are always an asset to troubleshooting.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, so I've been dealing with this for current playthrough. I'm at the 60 hour mark and only just now found a setting that's helpful. I assume you do like me and crank up a bunch of settings and then lower them as they affect fps throughout the game. Lighting was driving me crazy (especially using Maskar's Overhaul, since his AI torch tweaks were causing major slowdowns).

Check your oblivion.ini for "fLightLOD1" and "fLightLOD2".

These control when dynamic lights appear. Mine were set at like 10000 or something and reducing them to 1 completely solved my city FPS issues. Unfortunately, setting them to 1 makes the lights pop in your face so I'm still experimenting. Might be a good place to start though.

Hi, so I've been dealing with this for current playthrough. I'm at the 60 hour mark and only just now found a setting that's helpful. I assume you do like me and crank up a bunch of settings and then lower them as they affect fps throughout the game. Lighting was driving me crazy (especially using Maskar's Overhaul, since his AI torch tweaks were causing major slowdowns).

Check your oblivion.ini for "fLightLOD1" and "fLightLOD2".

These control when dynamic lights appear. Mine were set at like 10000 or something and reducing them to 1 completely solved my city FPS issues. Unfortunately, setting them to 1 makes the lights pop in your face so I'm still experimenting. Might be a good place to start though.

Well...... best FPS result so far, but still more then half my FPS dropped the moment I bring my player torch out. Thanks for the suggestion, but still sadly no dice.

Be62e0h.jpg

8TefZ0N.jpg

Yeah I spent all day fiddling with settings. What finally worked for me was editing the "Torch2" Light setting in the Construction Set. Uncheck "Dynamic," Check "Spot Light."

I also edited the area of effect down to 256 for good measure. In Maskar's Overhaul (in case anyone else who reads this is using it), I set torch brightness to -1 so it would be unaffected by the mod. I loaded the esp after my bashed patch just in case and voila, no torch FPS drops in cities anymore.

The torches look a little worse, but honestly not by much. They still cast lights too. You can also turn off or reduce flicker in the same window in Construction Set.

Also, in case you're using Martigen's Monster Mod, disable City Defenses and Lantern esps. Those destroyed my city frame rate.

Hope this works for you.

Yeah I spent all day fiddling with settings. What finally worked for me was editing the "Torch2" Light setting in the Construction Set. Uncheck "Dynamic," Check "Spot Light."

I also edited the area of effect down to 256 for good measure. In Maskar's Overhaul (in case anyone else who reads this is using it), I set torch brightness to -1 so it would be unaffected by the mod. I loaded the esp after my bashed patch just in case and voila, no torch FPS drops in cities anymore.

The torches look a little worse, but honestly not by much. They still cast lights too. You can also turn off or reduce flicker in the same window in Construction Set.

Also, in case you're using Martigen's Monster Mod, disable City Defenses and Lantern esps. Those destroyed my city frame rate.

Hope this works for you.

Well I already turned Dynamic Light off on Torch02 via my own .esp file loaded after MOO. But I will give the spotlight option and -1 brightness a go, can't hurt right? haha

Edit: Just curious, where would I find this torch brightness level option? I don't see it in the CS menu.

Edited by MotokoKHammond

This issue has been around a long time......

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/231696-torches-kill-fps/

I only skimmed through the thread, so sorry if this has already been suggested but have you tried the Torch Performance Patch by NLynch77

here: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49926

Edited by AllisterHenderson

This issue has been around a long time......

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/231696-torches-kill-fps/

I only skimmed through the thread, so sorry if this has already been suggested but have you tried the Torch Performance Patch by NLynch77

here: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49926

I did briefly look threw that same exact thread but did not find anything even slightly helpful. Most people from what I saw where saying the issue was textures or having allot of NPC's on your screen with torches. However as I have stated in my OP it does not matter if my char is alone or with 1 million NPC's holding light sources my FPS does not budge all that much, however the issue lay in the moment I the player character pull out a light source of any kind. As for the Torch Performance Patch, does it not just remove light flicker wich can be disabled threw Wrye Bash's Bashed Patch tweaks anyway? Or perhaps it does something extra I don't know about?

In general the Mod description "It is intended to solve the astonishingly bad performance at night in crowded places" does not really fit the issue I am having atleast as my issue has nothing to do with crowds, I can actually have a massive frame rate drop from pulling out a torch even if I was alone inside a cave. I am more then happy to give it a go and see if it does anything and report back though for sake of testing things.

Yeah let as know if the mod helps or doesn't help.. at least it can be ruled out.... NLynch77 also gave a good tip about enabling Linear lighting mode in the INI and using other mods that increase the range or brightness of the torch.....

Yeah let as know if the mod helps or doesn't help.. at least it can be ruled out.... NLynch77 also gave a good tip about enabling Linear lighting mode in the INI and using other mods that increase the range or brightness of the torch.....

OK, so after installing MOO I now have massive FPS drops when pulling my torch out. In the screenshots bellow you can see I am totally alone, no NPC's are present in view so they could not be possibly effecting the results. This btw is with the Torch Performance Patch mod installed, I tried it without the mod installed and there was no change to my results. Other mods that also seem to effect my FPS only when my torch is out are Better Cities and Open Cities. Without any of these 3 mods mentioned installed I have no more then a 1-2 FPS drop when pulling my torch out, Open Cities and Better Cities respectively decrease my FPS by 5-10 when pulling my torch out, with MOO having the biggest impact of a wopping FPS drop of anywhere between 15-25.

QJftQvr.jpg

32F9R2g.jpg

hmmm, so MOO is the worst offender in your case.... there are quite a few light settings tweaks to mess around with in the MOO.ini. Maybe post on the MOO page and see what Maskar suggests....