Can't Create Script

MadTod

I'm trying to create a script on Skyrim's Creation Kit but when I name it then press OK it says:

"The extends script does not exist, please pick one that does"

What does this mean and how do I get past it, any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

This: http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Papyrus

That link will take you to the official creationkit help wiki where you can learn all there is to know. I"ve linked you straight to the scripting section, so if you want to go oher areas of the guide you'll have to navigate to them.

Good luck.

It will cover all the basics. Just follow the tutorials and you'll have all the information you need.

http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Papyrus_Hello_World

That is the actual tutorial page that will explain how to make a script.

At any rate, based on the error message that you said you got, it would seem to me that the value you put in the Extends field was incorrect and didn't even exist.

As an example... If I write a new script on a container, I will be extending the script ObjectReference. If I write a new script on an NPC, I will be extending the script Actor (or ObjectReference as Actor itself is an extension of ObjectReference).

If you start your new script from the form that it will be assigned to, many times the correct script will already be listed in the Extends box (not always, but most of the time).

I just validated Skyrim and 7 files falied so its reaquiring them (going to take about an hour) then I'll try the Creation Kit, hopefully that will solve my problem.

Just done the Creation Kit, 13704 files failed lol, so that was probably the problem.

Edited by TanisDuncan

• 2 months later...

I had a similar issue, not the same warning, it just wouldnt let me create a new script. I would say "new"> make a name for it > and it would immideately compile without opening up and letting me add my script to it. Very odd indeed.

Re-acquiring files as noted above (4 missing in my case) fixed this issue and I can now make new scripts. How the hell those four files went missing? I have no clue.