Would you get a new computer, just to have Skyrim run much better?

SpellAndShield

I have been having lots of issues recently, mostly with crashing and freezing. It was not always the case though. I run it on medium settings even though technically I could run it on high and it autodetects for high but I think if I had a much better rig it would not happen as often. Thoughts?

if you have the money id say yes. I frequently update my pc new video cards and the like . I like my games and i like them to run well. Ive spent alot of money over the years on pc gameing. Its how i relax and to me its worth every penny. I used to buy new pcs every year or so as the tech gets better all the time, now i build my own i find i get a better pc then i get with store boxes. So yes if you can go get yourself a new one youll be glad you did the next time that Dragons breathing on you and your lagging so bad you cant move .

Well, like the other posters, I upgrade my machines for games. My "real" computers are Linux boxes on a little network and they are all old Windows game machines.

But new hardware won't necessarily make flaky software run better. If you are experiencing sudden, recent crashes, I would suspect mods and/or bloated savefiles, or a newly installed Windows program, first. Especially if you've enabled/disabled mods and use the same game savefiles.

I might go over my mod order, recheck the readmes, make sure I have the latest drivers, minimize Windows background programs, and start a new game with clean ini files to see if the problems persist. Play with individual game settings, especially video, to see if a particular setting impacts crash rates. If you still have problems, google around or check the troubleshooting forums and see if a Windows setting or an ini file tweak might fix it.

Nothing is more frustrating than having new computer hardware exhibit the same old problems. Both my Oblivion and Skyrim setups are heavily modded and, after much work, run almost crash free. I get a random crash about once every thirty hours of play.

YES!!!!! II didnt buy new PC but came close. Went from amd chipset to intel, new processor, mobo, videocard and ram. Skyrim is pretty much all i play but my old phenom and 6670 just couldnt handle the mods. So i upgraded mainly for skyrim.

NOW 600 dollars later i have 3570k, asrock extreme4, 12gb ram, and an MSI gtx660 twin frozr OC. Courtesy of great deals from micro center.

Now skyrim will run on ultra with everything cranked as high as possible but with mods i had to tone down res and shadows. Game runs great tho even with 2k textures, ugrids at 7, and sharpshooters ENB. Slight stutter here and there but very playable.

Without mods ultra is absolutely no trouble for new rig. Havent tried other games yet but id imagine new setup will play almost anything near max settings.

So yes i have pretty much new PC for just ONE game lol. Love the game and modding it. so addicting