Cannot absorb dragonsouls fixed!

Illuminated888

where is this " actordragon.pxi" ?

if this works it will make me very happy , i'll try it then thanks

err ... i couldn't find a file with such name :( are you sure it's the correct one ? isn't it " .pex "? or maybe i don't have it ... strange ..

oh well any way...

err ... i couldn't find a file with such name :( are you sure it's the correct one ? isn't it " .pex "?

The script in question is 'dragonactorscript.pex', which covers a number of functions related to dragons, including the FX for dragon deaths.

The USKP modifies this script. Dragon soul absorb works fine unless you have the Dragonborn DLC, which also modifies this script to accommodate Miraak's 'special ability.' So when the DLC was first released, people using the USKP had problems with dragon soul absorb. Because the source script for the DLC was not released at the same time, it took a while to fix this issue. The updated script is now packaged with the unofficial dragonborn patch BSA. However some people didn't realize that they had a loose 'dragonactorscript.pex' file in their script folder (for whatever reason), which 'overrides' the fixed script packaged in the BSA, so even though they had installed the unofficial dragonborn patch, they still experienced the bug. So in the case of the OP, removing the loose 'dragonactorscript.pex' allows the 'dragonactorscript.pex' packaged in the unofficial dragonborn patch BSA to take priority and run normally.

Keep in mind though, that this is just one of many ways to break dragon soul absorb. If someone is using the unofficial dragonborn patch, has deleted the loose 'dragonactorscript.pex' from their script folder, and still cannot absorb any dragon soul, it's because there is something else in their Skyrim set up which is the cause of this issue.

Edited by ripple

I'm having this problem, but don't have that file in the scripts folder. As far as I know, I have all the unofficial patches up to date and in order - I get them from Steam Workshop so they *should* update as needed. Presumably my game is also up to date, again should be done automatically. This has only recently started happening to me, so it's possible that it could be a mod, but no idea which could possibly interfere with the dragons.

My listie as it currently stands:

Skyrim.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
TERAArmors.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Extended Colors.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
Blood (Bloodbath).ESM
Update.esm
unofficial hearthfire patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
Rainbows.esp
advancedcrafting.esp
Cowardly wolves.esp
SephDragonAuras.esp
BlueJeans.esp
NeoInpouArmour.esp
Slof's Just For Men.esp
TERAArmors.esp
The Well Dressed Mage.esp
gildergreen regrown.esp
bleedeffects.esp
Headtracking.esp
helmless_warrior.esp
noguardhelmets.esp
midasskyrim.esp
conjurationmadnessmodv1.esp
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
non-linear perk trees.esp
ApachiiHairStyles.esp
ApachiiHairStylesELVES.esp
UseAllTheHairStyles.esp
race+.esp
unofficial skyrim patch.esp
AllureWorksOnBothSexes.esp
exposeclothing_Exoticist.esp
Flame Atronach Armor.esp
AllWarPaintRaces.esp
DiamondCrossbow.esp
Follower Limit Increased.esp
ShadowStripingFix.esp
Blaze Of Eventide.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
breezehomeTNF.esp
EldrothTerraArmor.esp
DiamondWeaponsN.esp
mart's savegame debloatifier.esp
Slof's Unique Frost.esp
Extended Selection.esp
Hot_Male_Housecarls.esp
IHSS.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Nicoroshi Creations.esp
the paarthurnax dilemma.esp
If I can't fix this, then I'll just have to keep a tally and console some in - my boy has shouts he can't unlock.

Slof, can you replace your mod list with a BOSS log (with the messages)? The log will show your load order and other information that could help. Include a list of plugins not recognized by BOSS if one is generated.

AlienSlof, I don't know if this going to fix the dragon issue you are having, but your mod list has evident load order issues. It should be:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
[The other esms]
unofficial skyrim patch.esp
unofficial dawnguard patch.esp
unofficial hearthfire patch.esp
unofficial dragonborn Patch.esp
[The other esps]

Thanks - I tweaked the load order and all seems fine.

I had a poke around with the patches and did some comparisons - I got the Unofficial Skyrim Patch off Steam Workshop a while ago, but it looks like that hasn't been updated for ages now. Compared to the current version here on nexus there was 40+mb difference! I downloaded all 4 Unofficial Patches from here and unsubbed them on SW, then updated them all in my game. Last tweak of the load order and my boy is once again absorbing dragon souls as he should do! Looks like the problem was a very outdated USP.

Thankee all! :)