exploring

greyday01

When exploring do you investigate each location or wait for a quest to send you to it? I just started a new game and I'm not sure if finding each site that shows on your compass and going through it is a good idea. I do want to eventually clear every site. Will it mess up quests?

My fondest memories of my first Skyrim playthrough were of just adventuring in the caves, tombs, forts, and Wilderness, then doing one or more of the minor quests, or further the main quest along, then back to more adventuring. Probably the most fun for the longest time for me in any game ever. I don't recall that specifically messing anything up, but I do remember some quests getting broken somehow. I just chalked them up to Skyrim being Skyrim, where the bugs abound and sometimes make the game even more endearing because of them.

I spend a lot of time just exploring. Most locations that are quest related, that will be screwed up if you visit them before you actually have the quest, will prevent you from going into it at all, or, the 'important' area will be blocked off. I have yet to find a location that got screwed up before I had the quest to be there. If I clear an area that I am later sent back to via quest, more often than not, the area is repopulated, even if I was just there a couple days ago.....

So, Explore to your hearts content, and ENJOY it. :) Keep in mind, it is really possible to walk into an area that will whack you dead in short order, if you are low level. :D