Baby Dragonling Follower/Pet

LordSarcasm

Never watched game of Thrones so I have no idea just who I am referring to, but I do know one woman in the show has a pet dragon that sits on her shoulder. And then in the first Harry Potter there's a similar little dragon that they raise. I'm just saying that it's pretty common in fantasy to have a pet baby dragonling.

Here's more or less what I envision. Your Dragonling, will fulfill the animal companion slot, so he wouldn't replace your follower if you care to bring them along. When not in open combat he will perch the player's shoulder. When enemies approach he would take to the air and fight them from above. He would never directly attack your enemies, instead he would serve as a distraction and allow you to fight the enemies yourself. He could also be directed to attack small animals like foxes and rabbits. He wouldn't necessarily draw away all of your enemies attention, but he would swoop in and cause them to stagger. He would also have a couple of "shouts" not like the real fire breath shouts but a modified flame or firebolt spell.

Our new friend's heritage could be justified with an all new quest. You receive word of a rumor from the Blades or Paarthurnax about an important event, the first dragon newborn in centuries. You go to investigate and find that one dragon is hoping to turn this new dragon into one like them, an evil super-predator. The blades want him to eliminated, but Paarthurnax believes he could be raised by the dragonborn as a potential ally. Naturally this would take place after the main quest. If you killed Paarthurnax, the blades give you the message to annihilate this new dragon, or Paarthurnax wants you to investigate what he believes is a great miracle. Now you can choose to kill the baby dragon when you find him or spare him and make him an ally whichever choice you made with Paarthurnax. Killing him will reconcile you with the blades if you chose to spare Paarthurnax, or if you killed Paarthurnax, you will be reconciled with the Greybeards if you choose to spare him. If you spare him his home location would be High Hrothgar. As for the dragons, well one of them has adopted the dragonling as their surrogate child to protect him from the player.

Yes I have seen mods like that, not that particular one granted but generally mods with mini dragons. But especially though I'm asking for an ability for you dragon follower to perch on your shoulder. However I can't possibly imagine how complicated that simple function might actually be. What would it require, a reverser mounting system, or the great sorcery called nav meshes or scripting?

• 1 year later...