Site design update, file backgrounds and hot file cropping

Dark0ne

One thing I'm immediately not a fan of, in order to search for a mod I now need to click twice with my mouse (first on the search link and second in the search field) as opposed to once (in the Search bar). And it took me a while to find the new Search function, something that wasn't the case with the previous layout.

Plus I think having two separate fields in there (file name and author name) is extremely confusing because it makes the search box look like a login box. It's not something people are used to, the frontpage search consists of only a single field 99% of the time (see Google, Ebay, Amazon, Steam...) and additional search fields belong in the Advanced search.

Long story short, I believe the placement is good, but it should be a visible search bar instead of an expandable menu.

Edited by Winterbraid

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second winterbraid's comment about tucking the search box away as a menu item. I thought it had been removed entirely until I read his comment.

Aside from that, I'm a fan of the changes overall. I particularly like the new mod pages. It makes the options much easier to see (especially after a long day of staring at the screen). The new location of the download buttons will take a bit of getting used to, but I think it's definitely an improvement.

On a related note, give some love to the endorse button on the NMM page. It always reads endorse (even after you've already endorsed it).

What a surprise. Very clean and I mostly like the changes except like others have said the search function was not immediately recognizable. Minor gripe to be sure. Definitely a welcome change all in all.

All this has done is seem to move a load of buttons to the top of the screen, but generally mess up the entire layout - with text in locations where there should just be buttons or header images, and a generally out-of-kilter appearance.

I don't like the text above buttons on mod pages (Desc, Files, Images, etc.) and all the NMM related stuff, but other than that, great update.

I'm also confused on the colors on "Track" and "Endorse". Does orange (or whatever game color) mean I've tracked/endorsed it, or not? Because I'm seeing it go both ways. I have tracked files that have the Track button green while the Endorse button is orange. And the Endorse button seems to randomly switch between green and orange.

And I think the black at the top of a mod page looks very odd. I think it would be better if it were gray like the rest of the page.

And... I don't like the extra little orange bar on the top of the website. It just makes the website seem "longer".

Edited by knightspk2