Salt mines and salt "veins"

noobax

I realise salt is pretty rare in skyrim, considering how much you need to cook stuff. Perhaps instead of removing salt from the recipes or simply putting more salt in the world, there could instead be a salt mine in a certain city, or maybe salt "veins" scattered all over the world. Or maybe both! Give it infinite uses and salt should never be a problem again, yet it provides an immersive feeling, when you have to "mine" your own salt. However, this "mined salt" has to be processed into usable salt, maybe by drying it or something at a smelter?

Might be a tad unrealistic, but still better than the current salt mods available

I realise salt is pretty rare in skyrim, considering how much you need to cook stuff.

Salt? Rare? Are you serious?

How much stuff do you cook?

Gotta agree, salt's a mineral, Skyrim's filled with big ass mountains chock full of minerals, it's got a big ass arctic ocean to the north full of sea water and ice, therefore there's gotta be a BUTTLOAD of salt.

But your idea's pretty good, I like it. Should be pretty simple - just change the color of an ore vein to a white color, change the color of the ore to look like salt, refine and BAM. Could have one dedicated mine or added to the random vein generator.

I realise salt is pretty rare in skyrim, considering how much you need to cook stuff.

Well on average, one city has 7 salts (alchemical + food vendor). Thats only enough for 7 soups, which i really need since im using Frostfall. Then, i also buffed the regeneration from meaty foods, simulating you being "full". Aaaand all meats need salt to cook, even 1 teeny weeny rabbit haunch needs a whole BOWL of salt to cook. So yeah, thats why i need more salt.

Gotta agree, salt's a mineral, Skyrim's filled with big ass mountains chock full of minerals, it's got a big ass arctic ocean to the north full of sea water and ice, therefore there's gotta be a BUTTLOAD of salt.

But your idea's pretty good, I like it. Should be pretty simple - just change the color of an ore vein to a white color, change the color of the ore to look like salt, refine and BAM. Could have one dedicated mine or added to the random vein generator.

Perhaps 1 or two dedicated mines, and in the seaside cities, buildings for producing salt from sea water. and random salt veins all around (maybe high up on cliffs, i remember reading somewhere that goats need to climb up cliffs to lick salt from rocks)

Maybe create a method of desalination for the seawater? Perhaps, take bottles, jugs, etc., to the ocean, fill them up, take them back to some sort of processing equipment (I don't see why an alchemy lab wouldn't work), and separate out "fresh water" or "drinking water" and salt. The purified water could be used for restorative purposes, like restoring stamina - cause I dunno about you, but after a good solid run, a nice bottle of water always makes me feel better, cold or not.

Perhaps purified water could be added as an additional alchemical ingredient? Restore stamina, fortify stamina, restore magicka, and perhaps resist poison?

It would be great if someone could do the veins as well as the purification method

I believe one of the Realistic Needs mods involves "burning" the salt out of seawater for foods. But that seems like a pretty arduous process compared to literally mining for salt.

Id prefer a standalone mod, dont really like the feel of realistic needs in skyrim. And mining just feels more.....immersive. Like, you actually have to let your character pick at the rock instead of opening up the menu and pressing a few buttons.

If you check every sack and barrel on your travels and in dungeons, you will end up with tons and tons of salt.

It's easy enough to change the mining script to deliver salt and retex some of the ore vein meshes, I did it as a test once, but placing them around every mine and dungeon got real boring and like I said, unless you ignore all the sacks & barrels, it's really hard to run out of salt. So I scrapped it.

The salt requirement are killing Skyrim cooking, I can be totally loaded down with ingredients and still be unable to cook anything useful. Besides it is immersion breaking to use a whole pile of salt in each recepie.

I have a suggestion for a fix for this problem. Salt piles should not be used in cooking. Salt piles should be used to refill saltshakers! Each full saltshaker will have say 10-20 charges and all recepies are changed to require a saltshaker charge instead of a whole pile of salt.

Edited by niceguy